1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 3G VS WIFI Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by medic552, Jul 15, 2011.

1. medic552

medic552 Newbie
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    SWAT Paramedic
    PA
    My wife got her Droid 3 last night. I went through the set up and due to living in an area with spotty connections I attached it to our wifi for setup. Everything seemed to be working good. Today when she left the house she told me she had no data. I went through all the steps with making sure data was turned on, doing a soft and hard reset and VZW actually had me wipe the device and re-activate it. Is it true that the WIFI must be turned off in order to utilize the 3G data ? She is still at work and this is the only thing I can think of to try when she gets home.

Advertisement

2. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    On this device, that might be the case. On all other devices i've owned (Eris, and Fascinate) this is not the case. But, I've had this phone for 12 hours now, love it so far. Except I find when I turn on wifi, 3G goes off, and when I turn off wifi 3G comes on? Not sure if thats to save battery, and not have the 3g radio drain when its not necessary. So it sort of would make sense, but its not common based on my 2 yr experience.

I noticed the same deal on mine though, so it looks like thats what Motorola did with the D3

3. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm thinking that it has something to do with the new tiered data plan for new users. It might be intentional so that people can prevent any data use unless they really want it used.