• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3G Watchdog and Wi-Fi Hotspot

I'm using Android 2.2 on my HTC Desire. I noticed that when I have 3G Watchdog installed and running, I cannot connect to mobile network (3G/Edge) when I turn on Wi-fi Hotspot. But everything works fine if I uninstall 3G Watchdog. Anyone else have the same problem?

Any good alternatives out there to 3G Watchdog?

I'm using Android 2.2 on my HTC Desire. I noticed that when I have 3G Watchdog installed and running, I cannot connect to mobile network (3G/Edge) when I turn on Wi-fi Hotspot. But everything works fine if I uninstall 3G Watchdog. Anyone else have the same problem?

Any good alternatives out there to 3G Watchdog?

I tried tethering as a Wifi hotspot on my Nexus one (closely akin to the HTC desire) and 3GW 0.23.3, and didn't get any problem, the 3G connection is not affected and 3GW counts the traffic.

Without questioning your observations, I have a hard time figuring out how 3GW could possibly drop the connection, because it only reads the network state and traffic. Only when associated with APNdroid or JuiceDefender can it (tell those programs to) disable the connection over a certain usage %, only if you have enabled this option in the Settings. So maybe it's a coincidence, or there is indeed a mysterious factor, but honestly I'm afraid I can't guess what's happening in your case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones