• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3g worth turning off??

i have the widget already you gave me the answer i was expecting thanks and for mattias u will still get weather updates if u have "use wireless networks" but u dont need "GPS" or "mobile network" on. but u wont get facebook updates.

u can find "use wireless networks" in setting then under location, incase u didnt know

JoeMoe

Upvote 0
If I turn off the 'mobile network' one will i still get facebook and weather updates?
No, it'll kill all data.

3G is a funny beast. If weak signal, then yes it'll eat battery. IF however you're close enough to a mast or a good area and get H showing, then I find H uses the similar power as wifi.

Somewhere in this section I recently posted up my experiment and power drops for wifi, 2G, 3G and H data using browser until the phone died.

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump this "old" thread, but I am experiencing a problem with the Mobile Network widget. I can turn it off, and that effectively works, but when I switch it back on the mobile connection does not reconnect. The other options to switch it back on (power button, settings) do not work either. I have to reboot to get my connection working again.

A known issue or just my phone ?

Upvote 0
No, it'll kill all data.

That's not correct. You can still receive IP data if you are connected via WiFi.

I only enable mobile networking when I'm out and about. During the day at work, and when I'm at home, I have WiFi enabled exclusively. Since we got a WiFi link at work, this has significantly reduced my phone's battery consumption.

Reactions: PARAD0X
Upvote 0
Sorry to bump this "old" thread, but I am experiencing a problem with the Mobile Network widget. I can turn it off, and that effectively works, but when I switch it back on the mobile connection does not reconnect. The other options to switch it back on (power button, settings) do not work either. I have to reboot to get my connection working again.

A known issue or just my phone ?

You might want to do some thread hunting, but IIRC this issue was something that was addressed in the recent OTA software update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones