1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

3g

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by don0tto, Sep 7, 2011.

1. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

i have a LG Optimus M From MetroPCS Thanks to the help of a member here named new optimus he helped me downgrade my phone to 2.2.1 yesterday and was then able to root my phone. MY question i have is how do i get rid of the stupid metrocrap and be able to use my phone internet for my laptop. Also is there any way i can upgrade my phone internet which is 1x to 3G Please all help appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puyow18

puyow18 Android Enthusiast

You need to update your PRL to 3020. You can do this via LPGNST or QPST. Threads here and here, respectively. After that it all depends on whether or not Metro has 3g in your area or not.

There are a couple ways to rid yourself of bloatware. One of the easier methods is to delete the apk files via the app "root explorer". Another way is to use the adb shell through your pc. To do it this way, type in:

adb shell (this will take u to $ prompt)
    su (superuser) ---> will take u to # prompt
    #mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    #cd /system/app
    #ls ---> this simply lists the files in the /system/app subdirectory You will see a listing of all the .apk and corresponding .odex files Simply type:
    #rm filename.* (don't type "filename.apk") I prefer the * as opposed to apk just in case there are any odex files associated with it.
    Reboot the phone. Credit for this method should go to ma2ga as I basically copy/pasted his post from the thread List of apps safe to remove.

3. puyow18

puyow18 Android Enthusiast

sorry, double post (stupid internet connection)

4. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

what about the phone internet for my laptop

5. vicmarkus

vicmarkus Member

Get "wireless tether" from market and it's free!

6. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

Already downloaded it it didnt work.

Edit just Tested it out and it works

Question under wifi tether theres an option called enable wifi encryption what is this it says to turn on and turn off?

7. That would be wireless security, WEP, WPA...

8. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

Thats is so you can protect it with a password? so nobody can steal it? what is the difference with WEP WPA? i am sorry if i sound retarted but i am new to this.

9. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

still trying to figure out this 3G shit and get rid of the metrocrap

10. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Android Expert

For the metro stuff just use titanium backup, free from market.

I have used it on my brothers optimus, works perfect.

If you follow the thread to my ascend ultimate guide I have a section on removing bloatware, its the same steps.

11. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

what is bloatware and what does the titanium backup do

also what are some safe apps to remove?

12. Wpa is stronger, wep can be cracked in seconds, minutes at most. Though your android phone isn't going to put out a signal very far at all...

You can only get 3g in certain areas and some are capped at near 1x speed. Seems to only be working for people in TX,FL, and CA from what I've read.

Bloatware is crap like anything beginning in Metro, or thinkfree office, mobile banking, stuff like that. Things that are not necessary for the phone to operate properly and usually have better alternatives. Titanium backup can remove these things. There is a sticky with the safe to remove apps.

13. vicmarkus

vicmarkus Member

14. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert

We put 3020 prl on there when we downgraded, you just live where there is no 3g coverage.

15. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

There definetely 3g coverage in ny shit there is even 4g coverage in NY

16. Theres 4g in Detroit. Not a Lick of 3g to be had. LTE network has nothing to do with EVDO network. Look in the non root part of the optimus forums for the 3g thread, you will see where it works, it's not many places.

17. mystifire2

mystifire2 Well-Known Member

Holy shit i'm getting 3g i'm in south FL btw

18. don0tto

don0tto Newbie

come on what about NY i updating the prl ;ole wjem ot ecp,es avai;able will it just show up or do i have to do something like how will i know

19. mikekelso421

mikekelso421 Android Enthusiast

what part of south fl?? im in port st lucie,no 3g for me :(