• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3gb ram and 2gb showing

A

Android Question

Hello everyone,
I bought a new samsung galaxy J7 2016 that said it has 3gb of ram. But when I check in the settings it only has 2gb of ram. I know that some part is reserved for the os but it is definitely not 1gb. The reserved is 226Mb as shown in the screenshot. Is it possible that I bought a 3gb ram phone but they gave me by mistake the one with 2gb?

Reactions: Nader Farhat
Hello everyone,
I bought a new samsung galaxy J7 2016 that said it has 3gb of ram. But when I check in the settings it only has 2gb of ram. I know that some part is reserved for the os but it is definitely not 1gb. The reserved is 226Mb as shown in the screenshot. Is it possible that I bought a 3gb ram phone but they gave me by mistake the one with 2gb?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161228-182300.png
    Screenshot_20161228-182300.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 834
Upvote 0
@chanchan05 @scary alien
In the shop, they show the characteristics of each phone or laptop next to it on a paper. And it was written on the paper that this phone has 3gb ram. So I thought I have been scammed.
But @Unforgiven is saying that there is a 3gb but it is used as swap so I don't know now.

Yeah, that swap area is really "virtual" (pseudo) RAM that actually lives on your internal EMMC (much slower than RAM) memory, so that's what he (@Unforgiven) was trying to convey...

If they told you that it has 2GB of RAM, they are mistaken :(.

Upvote 0
Actually that depends on the software. My phone has 2GB and my tablet 3GB, both running similar Android versions. But in use you would think it was the other way round, since the tablet does many more app reloads than the phone. The difference is the two manufacturers' ROMs and memory management settings.

(Though as the tablet was made by the same company as the OP's phone you may be right in this case ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Unless the answer comes from that seller.
I think it's clear: the seller wrote the wrong thing on the card.

I would always trust official specs, or what it says on the retail box, over what has been written by the seller, and TBH I never buy a phone without having researched it myself first. People make mistakes, it's part of being human.

Upvote 0
I think it's clear: the seller wrote the wrong thing on the card.

I would always trust official specs, or what it says on the retail box, over what has been written by the seller, and TBH I never buy a phone without having researched it myself first. People make mistakes, it's part of being human.

Maybe the seller didn't do it on purpose, but if the OP bought the phone because he wanted that amount of RAM, then he has been ripped off.

Upvote 0
If the OP is dissatisfied with the RAM he could return to the shop, point out that the information at point of sale was wrong and request a refund/exchange - as long as there is something else he'd prefer within his price range, since there's not much point otherwise.

(If he is really bothered I'd say to photograph the inaccurate display in case they objected.)

Upvote 0
However RAM is a very important factor on how well the phone works. Also the most popular apps like facebook, messenger etc are heavy apps and going heavier in every update. So you will need the RAM.
It's true about the RAM being important for the system.

But smartphones are connected devices, even games need Internet connection, so other factors like CPU and network speed are also important.

So if you are a gamer, you should have as much RAM as you could afford, having more RAM doesn't hurt.

But if you are more about social things like Facebook, Snapchat, Tumblr... you don't need need a huge amount of RAM, but connection speed is more important, especially when you do voice and video chat.

Reactions: cristoforos
Upvote 0
Good evening all, most people usually disappear after posting a thread so i thought it would be respectful to tell you what happened with me. I went back to the shop, and as most of you said, they made a mistake. In their description they are saying that the Samsung J7 has 3gb ram but in reality it has 2gb. They said it was a mistake from them but i think it is a fraud, scam. So i exchanged my phone with the Samsung J7 prime because it has 3gb ram. And yes, i was looking for at least 3gb. I appreciate the help about ram information, i studied them in my major (computer science). @scary alien @Unforgiven @chanchan05 @lvt @Jordan5422 @Hadron @cristoforos
And happy holidays for everyone !!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones