• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help .3gp videos won't play

qpon1219

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
I have received emails to my gmail account that have video attachments and I am able to download them successfully to my phone and shows an actual thumbnail of the video but when I try and play the video it opens up in the video player and then immediately says "unable to play" and kicks me out the player.

Video info:
.3gp format
between 7-10MB
two different people have sent the video attachments (3 different videos)
videos taken with an HTC inspire droid phone

I have also had an iPhone 3gs user send me a MMS video as well as email it to me and both had problems. The MMS came through and showed a picture of a movie reel with a play button and a yield sign with an explanation point inside. When I clicked on the play button it plays only audio but no visual. When I open the email (same video) it downloads and goes to video player but will says "unable to play" and kicks me out. iPhone format shows .MOV and is around 800KB or so in my gmail.

I have been to AT&T tech support in person and by phone and they couldn't help me. They forwarded my call to Samsung. Samsung tried to tell me it was a carrier issue after trying to figure out the problem and failing. AT&T said it wasn't their issue but that it was the manufacturer . Samsung finally said I could mail the phone in for their team to look into it. So, that is my next step.

I just wanted to see if anyone on here could shed some light on this situation before I sent it in. I have downloaded apps to convert videos and some have worked when the .3gp video was converted to .mp4 but I shouldn't have to do that for a phone that not only supports .3gp format but also records in this format. And the converter didn't help with the MMS problem. When I long press the MMS video I am able to save the file as a .3gp but still doesn't play.

Thank you all for your help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones