• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3rd hard reset in 2 weeks

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have had to wipe the phone out and start over 3 times. VZW is sending me a new phone, but it is on backorder till God knows when. But, this is a little ridiculous.

I have no strange out of the ordinary apps, just a little maddening.

I know it is close when I have nothing but "force close" for nearly every app that installed from HTC to Google to what I put on there.

any suggestions,

Dave

So, after a hard reset with only stock settings and stock apps are you still getting force closes? If so, then I would say the OS on your phone is buggy. If not, then you may want to try to install one app at a time and test functionality of the phone until you find the force close culprit.

Reactions: seVer
Upvote 0
Dave, do a hard reset, and then don't install ANYTHING for a day, and see if you have the issues. If you do, then yeah, something isn't right. If you don't, install HALF of the apps you normally do and wait a day. If you don't have issues, then you know the problem app is in the other half. Install, test, and repeat.

|-----1st half----| |---- 2nd half-----|
Problem^
|--1/4--| |--2/4--|
^ Problem
Repeat until you're down to the 1 app causing issues. Time consuming, yes, but will probably get done before you get a replacement.

Upvote 0
Dave, do a hard reset, and then don't install ANYTHING for a day, and see if you have the issues. If you do, then yeah, something isn't right. If you don't, install HALF of the apps you normally do and wait a day. If you don't have issues, then you know the problem app is in the other half. Install, test, and repeat.

|-----1st half----| |---- 2nd half-----|
Problem^
|--1/4--| |--2/4--|
^ Problem
Repeat until you're down to the 1 app causing issues. Time consuming, yes, but will probably get done before you get a replacement.

I understand the logic here, but it really shouldn't be necessary. You shouldn't have to uninstall all your apps then troubleshoot each one to get a smartphone, especially one of (supposed) high quality to operate the way it should to begin with. I can see why it's necessary sometimes, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Upvote 0
Thems the breaks. With different hardware and software for Droid devices, you cant expect all apps to work on all. PLus since I'm sure many of the app devs arent professional programmers, I highly doubt they are always released 100% working for all versions. Take responsibility for some of your own actions and stop relying on other people to do things for you.

Reactions: dylo22
Upvote 0
I understand the logic here, but it really shouldn't be necessary. You shouldn't have to uninstall all your apps then troubleshoot each one to get a smartphone, especially one of (supposed) high quality to operate the way it should to begin with. I can see why it's necessary sometimes, but it shouldn't be necessary.

This is to rule out an app causing the problem which, if that is the case, isnt the phone's fault. If it is a faulty app causing the FC it can do it on anyone's phone regardless whether the phone is high quality or not.

Upvote 0

You don't have to, but if you're getting a lot of force close and you have no idea of what's causing it, then it may be wise to start from scratch and try to figure it out.

Upvote 0
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have had to wipe the phone out and start over 3 times. VZW is sending me a new phone, but it is on backorder till God knows when. But, this is a little ridiculous.

I have no strange out of the ordinary apps, just a little maddening.

I know it is close when I have nothing but "force close" for nearly every app that installed from HTC to Google to what I put on there.

any suggestions,

Dave

Are you using some form of Task Killer?

If so, do you have the Task Killer starting when the phone does?

10-to-1 if thats the case, the Task Killer is killing something that it shouldn't in the core of the OS.

I've never installed a Task Killer on my Incredible and i just got 2 days and 14 hrs of pretty heavy usage out of it before needing to charge.

Upvote 0

Smartphone or no, a crappy application is a crappy application.

Android is a really well designed self-managing OS, but they can't stop you from installing crapware.

Upvote 0
Are you using some form of Task Killer?

If so, do you have the Task Killer starting when the phone does?

10-to-1 if thats the case, the Task Killer is killing something that it shouldn't in the core of the OS.

I've never installed a Task Killer on my Incredible and i just got 2 days and 14 hrs of pretty heavy usage out of it before needing to charge.

ugh u suck...second phone and I still get at most 8 hrs..

Upvote 0
Well, I had only a few apps, and alot of the apps that my wife and my friend are using and had to another hard reset. I am still in the waiting mode for VZW to send me another one. I just think it was my time to get the buggy one.

I know I need to do a hard reset when I cannot open gtalk and my phone tells me I don't have enough memory to do a sms or mms message. I have no message in the hopper to send and little to nothing running.
I get a ton of force closes on everything from internet to twitter to facebook to god knows whatelse. Nothing will run soon after getting the sms/mms message and gtalk refusing to open

Dave

Upvote 0
stock DInc2 with gingerbread.

I went to VZ and they hard reset my phone in the back room. The vol down/power wasnt even working for me.

everything was fine until today when the Phone app kept repeatedly. literally non stop. I had to pull the battery and power/volume down reset and here I am getting my apps and setting back to where they were. I was trying to uninstall a brightness widget when it happened. I dont know if that was the culprit but both times I've had more than one of the same type of widget running. more than one clock widget or power widget with wifi toggle widget and brightness all on the screen at the same time. Im a noob at this so maybe im wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones