• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 3rd ones a charm....

I'm at my wits end..My wife likes the LG Optimus Elite phone model, and this is her THIRD one.. She just brought her phone to me now exhibiting the EXACT SAME failure that her previous two identical Sprint LG Optimus Elites experienced.. Now let me explain.. These are stock Elites, bought from various different vendors on eBay over the last year or so, and have not been rooted, flashed or had any other modification. They work great for months at a time, then suddenly they start only booting to recovery. Now she does have the habit of putting the phone in her purse and letting it run down completely dead, and we've had to buy new batteries as she's killed some.. This "boot only to recovery" happens with a fully charged battery, including a brand NEW fully charged battery, also when connected to her charger OR my charger. Once in the recovery, you can move the cursor via the volume control bar to all four of the menu selections, reboot now, apply update from sdcard, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, but if you try to select any of these with the power button, you get the whitebox/arrow and little android icon that stays on the screen till you pull the battery. I'd posted elsewhere about this failure back when the second phone died this way, and it was suggested that I download a copy of the stock rom, put it on the sdcard as "update.zip" and choose the "update from sdcard", which didnt work/didn't recognize there was an "update.zip" present.. I thought perhaps the fact that she often let the phone go till the battery was exhausted might have corrupted the os, and was told by at least one poster elsewhere (don't recall where) that wouldn't happen...
Well, *something* causes these phones to croak, I just have NO idea what.. She doesn't drop them, and since we only pay around $30-$45 each for them, its not a "take out a home mortgage" thing to buy them..
Since I didn't want to just shred the previous two victims of this, I sold them on eBay as "parts/not working" for a pricely sum of ninety-nine cents for the pair.. I'm assuming that since I only got 99 cents for them, that the buyer was indeed only buying them for PARTS, rather than knowing what was wrong and fixing them... I just wanted to run this by the collective intelligence on the internet one more time before I tell wife "sorry, dear, you're getting something else for your cellphone"..... Anybody have ANY ideas??

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones