• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

3UK admit there are problems with the Hero on their network and give me a new phone

Three UK sent a standard message to me telling me how they contrinue to improve their network. I clicked on a link to report network issues, and told them that I got no signal at home even though the map shows good coverage. A few days later, they phoned me up, told me that there were issues with the reception on the HTC Hero, there was no fix and would I like to swap to another phone. I asked for an HTC Desire but they told me that it has the same issues. In the end they agreed to give me a Sony Ericsson XP10 in return for extending the contract for 6 months at the same price and I get to keep the Hero :). There is a big difference between the phones, I still only get patchy coverage at home, however the 3G in the XP10 whips along unlike the Hero. I haven't had a 3G phone before, so I assumed that what I was getting was what I was supposed to get. I now get a 3G signal over most of the London area, whereas with the Hero it sometimes showed 3G, however the performance was vastly slower than on the XP10. Are other users happy with the performance of the Hero on 3?

I changed from a nokia n73 to the HTC Hero, both on 3. I inserted a pay-as-you-go sim into the nokia and I am able to compare side by side.

The Hero is very poor at receiving a signal compared to the nokia and will frequently switch networks looking for a stronger signal.

I have just spent a week at the Staffordshire Agricultural showground that is a big out in the country. The Hero was practically useless. So many apps were hanging waiting for a data feed that I gave up.

The nokia received a 3 signal without a problem.

I may consider following up on this as you have. I don't think they will offer me the X10 as I am on a nice low monthly contract. But I would hate to move away from Android now I am learning to love it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones