• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.0.4 OTA Update

also i've already heard a rumor that this may not even be the final build that arrives....possibly 4.0.5

Even back in my DX days I and many others wondered if sometimes "leaks" were intentionally let out. Think about it. Free beta testers with no liability. They can scan the forums to see what is broke and roll the patches in to the next build. Of course at some point in time you do have to just deliver an OTA. The goal is to make it as positive as possible for the user.

Upvote 0
Twiddling thumbs........

colin.gif
JimCarreyLaugh.gif

Reactions: jcash3
Upvote 0
also i've already heard a rumor that this may not even be the final build that arrives....possibly 4.0.5

Even back in my DX days I and many others wondered if sometimes "leaks" were intentionally let out. Think about it. Free beta testers with no liability. They can scan the forums to see what is broke and roll the patches in to the next build. Of course at some point in time you do have to just deliver an OTA. The goal is to make it as positive as possible for the user.

I am thinking that 4.0.5 is for a different device (I read that elsewhere --- all heresay though). Makes sense... 4.0.3 was probably never meant for the GNex. btw.. I totally agree about the leaks... perfect way to test!

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Your right about that. Have they released it to the carriers yet? I wonder if it is held up there...

I really do not know how the OTAs work. It is all a guess on my part.
One would think that you would release updates at a small increments at at time. Than after everything has panned out, you move on to Jelly Bean with all the improvements.

Upvote 0
As was I my friend. Ha ha

Other than the horrible updates and terrible version of Touchwiz (Im slightly intrigued by TW 4.0) and the horrible bugginess that I encountered, the hardware, ESPECIALLY the screen, was pretty decent. I actually miss it slightly. After switching it out for the Inc 2 (after 3 Fascinates messing up) I kind of regret giving up on it. The inc 2 was nice, but HTC has some catching up to do hardware wise. The feel of the phone and the screen in particular, was SO off. Thats why I avoided the Rezound.

Upvote 0
hey just look at the Fascinate, it didnt even get 2.2 until almost april of 2011. THATS pretty bad. Makes me happy to have a Samsung phone without the Samsung updates.

Fascinate was just the worst case on Samsung android update. It was plagued by Bing and VZW bloawares. That's not normal for other samsung androids and international Galaxy S got Froyo 6 months earlier. They got much better on update from SGSII and it's poised to get ICS upgrade in a few months.

Upvote 0
Fascinate was just the worst case on Samsung android update. It was plagued by Bing and VZW bloawares. That's not normal for other samsung androids and international Galaxy S got Froyo 6 months earlier. They got much better on update from SGSII and it's poised to get ICS upgrade in a few months.

Thats the one thing that Ive TRIED to keep in mind when buying a new phone. Buy it for how great it is now, not for what it COULD be. Granted the Nexus is a more of a future proof phone, it also kicks butt now. Although I do believe that ICS is coming in a few months, buying a phone hoping its going to get an update soon is a risky idea. Unless there is a firm date set in stone, it could be 8-12 or more months of waiting. Like I said, I learned that the hard way

This is why im hoping 4.0.4 or another update is released officially soon. I need my better battery life and signal hand off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones