• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.1.2 updated battery drain

The device is now reset back to factory defaults. You can test and see if issues are still present. This should hopefully resolve any issues with the update. If it does not, follow the above steps again before doing the emergency firmware recovery via Kies PC software.

Once you restore to 4.1.1 do another hard reset. Then proceed to download and install 4.1.2. Once this is done do another hard reset. You have now done a clean install for 4.1.2 and should fix most (if not all issues).

I have a Galaxy Note 1 that I am looking to wipe and reinstall 4.1.2 due to battery life problems and slow running. I have been steered here from the Note 1 forum. Thanks for the method suggested above which I would like to follow but I have a couple of questions.

I assume that the reset is the same on the Note 1 as it is on the Note 2? I recently upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 but, can't remember what the OS was when I bought it a year ago. Which OS will it revert to? Do I then just go straight to installing 4.1.2 via Kies or OTA? If so, what is the reason for the second hard reset suggested above after the installation of 4.1.2? Does this not reset it back to whatever OS it was originally?

Also, as I want to do a completely clean install I want to reformat my SD card. I have taken a copy of it just in case I need anything. Will it be OK to have a blank SD card and at what point should I reformat it?

I'd be grateful for any help with this, as the the thought of doing this is making me nervous!

Upvote 0
I assume that the reset is the same on the Note 1 as it is on the Note 2?
Only if it has the physical home button on it (N7000 version). Basically a slightly shorter and wider version of the Note 2 in appearance. If you have the US/NA release (which has no physical home button, but 4 capacitive buttons), you need to follow a different procedure to get to the Android Recovery Console.

I recently upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 but, can't remember what the OS was when I bought it a year ago. Which OS will it revert to?
The Note came originally with Gingerbread 2.x. The first major update was to ICS and now JB. If you successfully flashed JB into your Note, that is the OS firmware version (4.1.2) it will revert to after a hard reset back to factory defaults. You cannot revert back to ICS or GB after a successful ROM update.

Do I then just go straight to installing 4.1.2 via Kies or OTA? If so, what is the reason for the second hard reset suggested above after the installation of 4.1.2? Does this not reset it back to whatever OS it was originally?
Unfortunately, if you already flashed 4.1.2 successfully into the device, you cannot revert back to a previous build using normal methods. KIES will not work in this fashion.

Also, as I want to do a completely clean install I want to reformat my SD card. I have taken a copy of it just in case I need anything. Will it be OK to have a blank SD card and at what point should I reformat it?
Doesn't matter. You can reformat the card with the phone before or after the hard reset. You can also reformat the card on your computer.

As I mentioned earlier, the US/NA variant of the Note uses a different method to get into the Android Recovery Console. Since it doesn't have a physical home button, you need to press the following buttons all together at the same time - Power, Volume up and down. Then follow the rest of the steps.

You can perform a hard reset back to factory defaults and see if that resolves anything. If it doesn't and you want to revert back to an earlier build, you will need to visit XDA. You will need ODIN and the original stock ROM specific to your Note. You cannot use KIES for this.

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, being in the UK I have the N7000 with the physical home button so I can follow your instructions. It sounds as though it might all be easier than I imagined. I hope that I only need to do the one reset to put a fresh 4.1.2 on there and then all will be fine! Hope to give this a go tomorow. Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
I have reset the Note according to the instructions at #6 and reformatted the SD card. It went very quickly and seemed to go well. But when I checked my USB (internal) storage I was surprised to see that it still contained my old data, photos, videos, music and 6.82Gb of Miscellaneous files. I see that there is an option to Format USB storage but I really thought that this would have been done by the factory reset?

Just to be clear, I would like to get back to a state with absolutely nothing on the device so that I start absolutely clean. If I need to do another reset to achieve this then I'd rather do it now before I rebuild. Or can I just do the Format USB storage?

Upvote 0
Whoops. I forgot the Note had 2 internal storage partitions. Yeah, you would need to format the USB storage as well. The hard reset to factory defaults does not wipe out this partition. It is seen like an external SD card.

Probably reformat the USB storage, hard reset and reformat the micro SD. Then monitor your device for any strange or abnormal behavior. This is probably the best one can do to have the cleanest slate possible.

Upvote 0
So this is getting a bit weird... I decided that it would probably be safer to start again from the beginning so, belt and braces, did a hardware reset from Settings and did another from the Android Recovery Console. Started up again and my first indication of anything odd was when I was offered a choice between Touchwiz and Apex Launcher. I had downloaded Apex Launcher as well as a few other apps before I wiped again but they had gone in the wipe, right? No - when I selected Apex Launcher there was my homescreen nearly as I'd had it prior to the second wipe but not quite. I checked and the USB storage had been wiped but these programs are in the main storage. It's actually making the reload a lot easier but I really don't see how it happened.

Upvote 0
Never had that happen before. And I've hard reset my Note a few times (I717 version). The only thing that remained after all that was just the USB storage which I left alone with no ill effects. But that was when I was getting the ICS update. Don't know about JB as I don't have the Note anymore to see.

Sounds like it didn't do a clean wipe if that is happening.

Another method I found (but did not test) is doing a reset from KIES. Under Tools>Firmware upgrade and initialization. I think this might wipe the entire contents of the device and redownload/install the current firmware. I'm just guessing at that as I've never attempted this on any of my Notes before. But the dialog box that pops up suggests it.

Upvote 0
I've continued to rebuild my phone and all seems to be going fine. It's really strange as some of the settings etc I'd changed in between the resets I did had stuck and some hadn't. Resetting and rebuilding has been a lot less scary than I thought it would be and it's quite therapeutic to have a clean phone. Thanks for your help, your guide gave me the confidence to do the wipe in the first place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones