• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.2.1 Random Reboot

ArmageddonX

Android Expert
May 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
I got mine for Christmas yesterday. It rebooted 3 times within the day all while doing random different things. Is there a problem with my Tablet or is this a known issue & Google is working on it?

I'll just be browsing or playing a game and the screen locks up & then reboots. Any idea how to stop this?

I am sincerely hoping Google is working on a fix so I don't have to send it back :( I love my Nexus 10 so much. It's so nice! (except for this rebooting issue)

As I said, I just got it yesterday, so I doubt a factory reset or anything would do anything b/c it's basically factory right now.

Here are some articles on it:
Android 4.2 random reboots getting Google fix soon
Issue 39912 - android - Galaxy Nexus Random Reboots on Android 4.2 JOP40C - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
Android 4.2 random reboots: What's going on? | Computerworld Blogs
4.2 random reboots
Nexus 10 random reboot workaround found - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Nexus 10 crash & reboot - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Issue 39879 - android - Nexus 10, freeze and soft-reset, w/ bugreport - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
Google issues Android 4.2.1 update, December apocalypse is back on! | Digital Trends

It seems it's happening because of the GPS signal. We may just have to wait for a patch. :eek:

Edit: I disabled my GPS this morning and I haven't had a reboot once. (knock on wood) Hope there is a patch for this soon.

~ ArmyX

I have had the GPS off after the first hour that I received it and I have not had any reboots...yet (knock on wood!). However, Chrome did crash on me for the first time last evening! Google should really up their game on a number of fronts - let me list them to get my frustration out:

1. Fix the damned retail scene - no reason why their products should be so difficult to access via the Play Store

2. Fix JB 4.2.1 - The perpetual beta thing is all very well and good, but at some point one has to have a stable version - especially if one wants to seriously work (and game) on the device.

3. Fix Chrome - in terms of size and performance. For god's sake, Chrome is the Google in-house browser and is the window to the web. It should be working flawlessly.

4. Get a Office-like suite up and running - Google Docs is all very well and good - but, frankly, it sucks. What we all need is - and I don't think I am overstating the case - a good Office-like suite (and that includes a top class PDF viewer). Well, then Google should provide it - if necessary for a fee. In today's world, it is absolutely necessary.

5. GDrive - Improve the performance and make it seamlessly work with both a Google version of an Office Suite (see #4) AND with MS Office (for those who like or have to remain with the MS product).

6. Accessories - the N10 (and the N4 + N7) may be developer and OEM-reference models, but as a buyer it cost me money. I paid because, among other things, I want to use it and I am not a developer. So, where are the accessories? Release a dock, a dock+keyboard, a Smart Cover (perhaps integrated with the keyboard), extra chargers (one comes with the device in the box - but what if I want 2 more chargers to place elsewhere), a faster and more efficient charging device. And all of this should have been prepped BEFORE the devices were released to the market. Now that they have been released to the market, at least release the accessories ASAP. Very bad planning on the part of Google.

That's all I could think of at the moment and my sincerest apologies for diverting this thread! But I am sure you will all empathize with how I feel. I use my N10 for over 10 hours a day and it is an essential part of my computer environment, which only goes to show how much I like the device. But I also don't want to be short-changed and I am sure neither do you!

Reactions: ArmageddonX
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums bru87tr :ciao:

Thanks for the info. Whatever it is I thought Google would have a fix by now. It's hard to figure why some have very few or none and others have it often.

Good point. Like I mentioned in my long and rantish post above, the time chrome crashed on me was the first time it happened. The tablet though has not crashed thus far. But what you mention is quite true - quite a few people - here, at XDA, and at other places - complain of problems most of which they report have started after the 4.2.1 update.

Upvote 0
I have also been experiencing random reboots with increased frequency lately. But here's the strange part...most of the reboots occur when watching videos on Netflix. It has occurred at other times, but it ALWAYS happens when watching Netflix. And I can predict when it's going to happen. The movie/video will start skipping/lagging, and within about 30 seconds, my Nexus 10 reboots. ANNOYING, to say the least. But...while it sucks to deal with this, I'm happy to see that it's not just an isolated problem, and that Google will (eventually) fix this. I just hope it's sooner rather than later!

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing a similar issue. I received my Nexus on January 3 and it has locked up once every day. Initially I thought Chrome was to blame but I have factory reset the tablet and experienced a lockup while using another app (location was disabled).

However, instead of the tablet automatically restarting after becoming unresponsive, I have to physically hold the power button to restart it.

Does this sound like the same problem?

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing a similar issue. I received my Nexus on January 3 and it has locked up once every day. Initially I thought Chrome was to blame but I have factory reset the tablet and experienced a lockup while using another app that (location was disabled).

However, instead of the tablet automatically restarting after becoming unresponsive, I have to physically hold the power button to restart it.

Does this sound like the same problem?

I had this happen no more than an hour ago. Hmmm

Upvote 0
This appears to be a very common and known problem with Android 4.2.1:

Freezing and random rebooting are the same problem. If your Nexus device running 4.2.1 freezes, just wait a minute or two and it will do a "soft reboot" where it skips the Google boot logo and goes straight to the "X" Nexus logo and boots back up.

The problem is especially pronounced on the Nexus 10, but afflicts the Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Galaxy Nexus devices running Android 4.2 and 4.2.1 as well. Here are some things that seem to help reduce the number of freezes/reboots for most people:

• Completely disable GPS and location services.
  • Turn off background synchronization for Chrome and Currents.
  • Do not use the Chrome browser at all. Common alternatives are Firefox, Opera, Dolphin, and Boat.

For those that say they are not affected by the problem, install Bootlog Uptime. It will track each time the system restarts and what the source of the restart was. Chances are that you will see that your Nexus 10 device reboots about once a day, at least. You might not be using it at the time it crashes. Other Nexus devices crash less.

For anyone experiencing this issue on their Nexus 10, I recommend going to the bug report linked in my post above and starring the issue (which means "I have this problem too!"). Don't post a comment unless you are going to upload a bug report or steps to consistently reproduce the issue. Users who are having this problem on other Nexus devices should locate the bug report specific to their device (there are links in the XDA Developers thread I linked to above).

Upvote 0
For those that say they are not affected by the problem, install Bootlog Uptime. It will track each time the system restarts and what the source of the restart was. Chances are that you will see that your Nexus 10 device reboots about once a day, at least. You might not be using it at the time it crashes. Other Nexus devices crash less.

I have had this installed since you posted tha app and have not had one reboot. I leave the device on 24/7 and it has been up and running since. I left it on the 01082013 CM 10.1 nightly.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Caveman419 and Atma
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones