• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.2.1 update keeps failing

onesicktexan

Jun 28, 2010
TX
Hello, I purchased an Nexus 7 from Office Depot yesterday, its stock 4.1.2.

I got a notification saying 4.2.1 is available. I downloaded, than clicked install. Device reboots and starts the install, than fails halfway and just freezes.

When it reboots it just says system is up to date but it still shows 4.1.2.
Only way I can get it to redownload again is by deleting the data under Google Services App. but even still it fails time after time.

Any ideas?

I thought kies was something proprietary to Samsung? Anyway, don't stress too much about the update, it'll come back in a little while. In the meantime, search this forum for similar threads, one of the staff released an app that checks your system against update files. So if you run that before you update, you'll know if it'll fail and why.
On the other hand, you could just go back to the store and tell them it crashes when it updates. You've got a reasonable chance to get a new one.
Because honestly, a brand new untouched nexus 7 should update just fine.

Reactions: onesicktexan
Upvote 0
I thought kies was something proprietary to Samsung? Anyway, don't stress too much about the update, it'll come back in a little while. In the meantime, search this forum for similar threads, one of the staff released an app that checks your system against update files. So if you run that before you update, you'll know if it'll fail and why.
On the other hand, you could just go back to the store and tell them it crashes when it updates. You've got a reasonable chance to get a new one.
Because honestly, a brand new untouched nexus 7 should update just fine.

I have a Nexus 10 and I'm having the same issue as OP. I've tried factory resets, locking bootloader, unlocking bootloader, rooting, unrooting, MORE factory resets, clearing the cache, safe mode, nothing makes the update stick. Get the same error every time.

Where's this app you mention? I cant find it.

Upvote 0
I've had exactly the same issue.

Brand new, stock, non-rooted Nexus 7 32Gb from Carphone Warehouse which just seems to fail every time I try to run the Android update, so I'm stuck on 4.1.2

I'm assuming that when it's doing it's update thing, it should have the image of the upright robot with spinning green geometric shape by it's access hatch the whole way through, and that prone robot with red exclamation mark means it's failed?

Upvote 0
Thanks. It said I didnt have anything (that it could see) that should make the OTA fail... sigh wth...

Hmm, I don't know if the app checks for this, but you might need stock recovery. Only speculating here.

I've had exactly the same issue.

Brand new, stock, non-rooted Nexus 7 32Gb from Carphone Warehouse which just seems to fail every time I try to run the Android update, so I'm stuck on 4.1.2

I'm assuming that when it's doing it's update thing, it should have the image of the upright robot with spinning green geometric shape by it's access hatch the whole way through, and that prone robot with red exclamation mark means it's failed?
Correct, try the app above to see what's wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones