1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 4.2.2/Sense 5 Initial Reactions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hilmar2k, Dec 6, 2013.

1. dachillefx

dachillefx Newbie
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    I miss that convenience as well. Thought I was the only one missing that feature in the notifications drag down.

Advertisement

2. dachillefx

dachillefx Newbie
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    I also noticed that the android system was hogging 70-80% of battery. Battery seems hard to tell if better or not. I don't think standby is as good.

3. victek

victek Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Very likely a process is preventing the phone from sleeping. Install the free "Wake Lock Detector". This will show you exactly what is going on.

4. victek

None

Jun 1, 2011
    Have you ever tried Go SMS? It seems to work well enough, but I wonder how Textra compares? Does the vendor try to "up sell" through Textra, eg themes, or other products?

5. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    US Navy Vet, very retired!
    Washington State
    Overall like it. But my notification sounds are gone. Now they all have the same one. And now the options are piss poor ones. May have to look into one of the apps with sounds now. But so far that is the only thing that comes up as a con for me. All else pros for me so far that I have found.

6. equest

equest Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah, I'm using Testra too after trying other message apps. This one is fast & smooth! But still I hate the battery life on the new Sense. It's worse!

7. victek

None

Jun 1, 2011
    Regarding the new lock screen I see there's a weather widget. Is it possible to either configure or remove it?

8. Smidgeons

Smidgeons Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2012
    Male
    I am usually the person that has a handful of apps to be able to personalize the look of my phone in specific ways. When I first bought my DNA I absolutely loved the aesthetic and the functionality of being able to create different scenes, etc. That being said, as much as a lot of these changes are all nice and fun for sheer entertainment purposes, the functionality and aesthetic that drew me to this phone are gone. It doesn't even look like the same phone. And with it's limited storage space, downloads apps to personalize it is not very appealing either. :( My wife and my brother are saying the same things. I love the idea of a few new options of personalization but to completely take away the options that you had before is a bomb for me on this phone. I'm thinking I just want to revert back to the old sense...

9. Cam501

Cam501 Member
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Male
    My biggest complaint is with text messaging. I like the text bubbles better by far. Blinkfeed is ok, I have it on now but might turn it off cause I almost never click on any of the highlights. One issue I am having that started a month or two before the update is that the weather forecast no longer auto updates. I had that problem with my old dinc towards the end as well.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    It pulls location settings from the Weather Clock or Weather widget. Sync is controlled via Settings -> Accounts & sync -> Weather.

11. CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    Driving Miss Daisy
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Another oddity… I got the first phone call in about six weeks this afternoon and was surprised to see that GO Launcher disappeared while a call was incoming. The phone seems to temporarily revert to the Sense 5 design while ringing. Instead of a black background "popup" call info hovers over the home screen wallpaper. What really caught my eye was the notification bar was transparent, a feature that doesn't work in GO Launcher. It's quite jarring. (Luckily I only ever get calls about once a month!)

12. mwl1119

mwl1119 Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Install cover. You will thank me.

Hoosiermama likes this.
  13. CrackedLCD

CrackedLCD Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    Driving Miss Daisy
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    A pleasant discovery: it appears they fixed the issue where the phone forced the data and wifi connections to sleep between midnight and 5 or 6 am after a few minutes of inactivity.

There has always been a "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" option but it only worked during "waking hours". This has been a headache for me since I'm a night owl and I was occasionally missing notifications unless I turned my display on every few minutes to check.

14. victek

None

Jun 1, 2011
    Enabling "sync" for weather worked, thanks!

15. TrueMetalGeek

TrueMetalGeek Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    Male
    HVAC and Electronics
    Arizona
    I just did the update on the DNA which my wife now uses.

This is the update.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/droid-dna.pdf

I thought BLINKFEED would be kinda cool as it is similar to the live tiles of windows phone but my wife made me disable that after 15 minutes.

Unlike us, she don't like change and the fun of learning new things.

I got my daughter a windows phone yesterday and she loves it.
    She scoffed change as well until she got it in her hands.
    Makes me kinda want one again. :p

16. doneve141

doneve141 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I got a firmware update a couple of days ago, then last night another. I didn't install it until this morning. I agree with a lot of what I read here. The phone is very responsive but its like they took all the rounded smooth edges and sharpened them up. I liked the round smooth appearance. I liked horizontal scrolling, don't like vertical. It is like a new phone in a lot of respects. Most of my widgets were there but I don't like the look of the new ones so I have been doing some rearranging.
    The last big firmware update caused me battery drain problems that were only fixed by a factory data wipe. I am waiting to see how this one does. robdroid33 I feel your pain from my last experience. I just updated this morning so I too am waiting to see what happens.
    I'm sure I'll get used to the changes. I already use Handsent and I was a fan of the Swipe keyboard. The trace option has always been good enough. Time will tell if I like the new keyboard, so far I can't tell a difference.

17. victek

None

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm noticing that since the update Swype is no longer my default and I can't figure out how to set it. There is nothing in the Keyboard and Language Settings for selecting the input method and making a long press in text box doesn't do anything. Can someone help?

18. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    Male
    You don't really want to know.
    Phoenix
    So...um, I'm rooted and well while I'm on a rom that runs sense 5 and 4.2 I'm tempted to revert back to my rooted but stock state and get the update. I just don't know if there will be much of a difference or advantage to doing so? Anyone come from rooted and take the update for a spin and like it?

19. Bearcats

Bearcats Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    USA
    When I got the mini-upgrade my battery usage went from 36+ hours to less than 12. Yes, I am not a power user.

HTCDM is a nasty offending service and will keep your phone awake and will chew battery non-stop. When I stop the service the phone sleeps and I get battery life back.

On that note: How can I offiically decline this upgrade. I see no advantages to it with the way I use my phone and wish to remain at the level I am at. That stupid HTCDM service keeps launching and is associated with upgrading. I can't disable it and really want to. It wont let you defer more than a day. :( If you do a back arrow versus Defer or Cancel it will go away for a while but eventually return.

20. victek

None

Jun 1, 2011
    For what it's worth I was having a problem with the phone not sleeping (confirmed using Wake Lock Detector) and since the big upgrade to 4.2.2 the problem has gone away.

21. Cam501

Cam501 Member
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Male
    After having had the update for a good while now, I can safely say battery life is a bit worse, especially in low signal areas. I get poor reception at work and post update it uses more battery looking for a signal than before the update. If I don't charge my phone at work I'm about 10-12% lower at the end of the day on equal usage. I've also turned off blink feed and still HATE that the stock messaging app doesn't have the bubbles anymore. With regards to the comments on scrolling, I liked the horizontal scroll better through apps and wish you could still circle around from the home screen. My last issue is that the new keyboard no longer has the arrows for moving precisely back and forth any number of spaces amongst whatever you have typed.

22. Misato

Misato Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Some of the notification sounds are gone, including what I used to use. Anyone know which ones are gone now and where I could find them?

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the one I used, so not so easy as to just name one and try and find that. :(

23. Skipdawg

Skipdawg Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    US Navy Vet, very retired!
    Washington State
    Yea same thing here. I just went with all new sounds. Hope KitKat dose not kill them again. Took a week to get use to the new sounds. LOL

24. Misato

Misato Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    I already keep a backup of my ringtone and the email notification I'm used to, I just never thought to do the same for the noise my timer makes. I just hope I can find a copy somewhere to use :(

25. Misato

Misato Newbie
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    You have all the old notification sounds? There any way you can share them somewhere? None of the new ones do it for me on the timer (which I actually use every day.)