• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.2 lag

lordj

Oct 18, 2011
Louisville, KY
So, since updating to 4.2 my phone has become noticeably slower. Response times on launching apps, returning to home has gotten worse, even the keyboard lags behind when typing fast. Phone is unrooted, stock 4.2. Is there anything I can try to speed things up? Its possible my phone is just bloated with a bunch of stuff.

Yes my galaxy nexus is very laggy since upgrading to 4.2. The home screen jerks, the camera app takes ages to load and seems klunky. Google now slows down to about 2 fps sometimes and it takes ages to start listening for speech input. I love the photosphere feature but the new lock screen looks crap. Overall this is a big step back from 4.1.

Upvote 0
I got the update on the first day it was available, and I haven't had any problems with slowdowns. Try a factory reset if nothing else will work.

Is there an app that may be taking up memory? If there's a bunch of apps constantly running in the background, it will slow down any phone.

Upvote 0
Yes my galaxy nexus is very laggy since upgrading to 4.2. The home screen jerks, the camera app takes ages to load and seems klunky. Google now slows down to about 2 fps sometimes and it takes ages to start listening for speech input. I love the photosphere feature but the new lock screen looks crap. Overall this is a big step back from 4.1.

some help to reduce screen jerking is to turn off auto brightness.

Upvote 0
Try opening up the Currents app, go into settings (the three dots in the top right) then down to settings then uncheck 'enable background sync'. This seemed to speed things up for me.

I think a read the same article as you. Also quit Currents from running in the all apps list and then do a battery pull for good measure.

I've also turned off Now. It didn't do much for me any way.

Upvote 0
By the way, for people who are experiencing this lag, do you have Chrome as your default browser? If so, try this: clear all the defaults for Chrome (Go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > Clear defaults). Then set the bundled browser ("Browser") as the default browser when asked to open links. Does this help clear up some of the lag?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones