• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.2 (Update: OTA is on the way)

jhawkkw

Chinchillin'
Jul 30, 2011
Washington, DC
*WARNING***********************
There are lots of reports of people with unlocked bootloader hardbricking their TF300 or TF700 when installing stock firmware.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2204100

Asus has announced that the TF700 will receive 4.2 in Q2(April, May, June). Judging by the build that the TF300 just had rolled out to it, it is likely that we will receive 4.2.1. So is there anyone out there that's looking forward to getting this update?

Update: ASUS has said the update should be rolling out today: ASUS Announces Android 4.2 Update for Transformer Infinity, Rolls Out Today – Droid Life

360 camera is not included in Asus build so you are going to be disappointed. It is a Google only hardware thing.

It's not exactly a Google hardware thing. I have and EVOLTE_Rooted and the files were tweaked to work with Stock With Goodies Rom. It did pretty good. Takes a bit of patience to do it well. This tweaked patch doesn't seem to work as well on MeanBean that I switched over to. Haven't look for one tweaked for it.
Yes you would have to be rooted at this point to install it. It installs as a second camera and gallery.
Paul

Upvote 0
I just got the update! I hope it fixes this POS!!!!!!

Let us know. Many are curious. We have had some good reports and some bad reports over in XDA and Transformer Forums. Also, I suggest after the update, let the rom stabilize for 5 minutes, then shut it off, hold the power button and volume down button to boot into a menu, then use the volume down to select the Androud guy/text, and volume up. It will Cold boot and will help with dirty flash lag. If that helps also let me know.

Tylor

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm curious myself. I hope there isn't the bluetooth issues that many have complained about in AOSP versions of 4.2.1. I'll probably still wait until CROMI 4.0 for it since I'm unlocked and rom'd.
I agree with you. However some in Transformer Forums said they had no problems with bluetooth, fewer said they did. Its only the first day though.

Tylor

Upvote 0
Plus, when I try to set the stock wallpaper it displays it on 90% of the screen, the other 10% is black.

before performing an update you should always back up your sensitive or precious data. It is a rule of thumb for developers and can save a lot of hassle if something were to happen like what happened to you. If you are really purchasing a galaxy tab, I hope you are prepared for a not as crisp,and clear screen.

Tylor

Upvote 0
If you look on the tf700 the partition size was not changed on this tablet so the problems the 300 had the 700 should not have. As of right now the 4.2.1 boot loader is looking compatible with 4.1.1 so we may be able to install the 4.2.1 boot loader and patched twrp and still run 4.1.1. Since this is what will be required for 4.2.1, bricking should not happen unless people do not follow instructions. I know this because sbdags had the 4.2.1 boot loader and was running 4.1.1 on it and it was running normally,,, with the patched twrp of course. Just remember to read all instructions fully. Also since this is the case then cromi 4.0 should not be far away. I would say week at max and one to two days at most. Have fun flashing and remember read all info you can before flashing. :)

Tylor

Upvote 0
Yeah; it seems that we are a lot better off than the TF300, but there could still be issues using outdated recoveries. Just wanted to let everyone become aware because nobody wants a hardbrick.

Yes you MUST be on the patched version of twrp 2.4.4. Which no one but sbdags has ATM. So none one try upgrading at the moment. And at this time cwm will not work with the latest boot loader so no one try using it to flash stock or cromi'd version of 4.2.1.

Tylor

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones