• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 4.3 BeanStalk

EarlyMon

The PearlyMon
Jun 10, 2010
New Mexico, USA
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2420496

Anyone try this yet?

Looks pretty interesting.

Is there some way to guarantee working GPS and proper PRL/Profile on AOSP roms without having to fall back to a Sense rom?

Edit - Sense required to update PRL /Profile and the GPS worked very well for me.

My overview is down in post #11.

Thumbs up imo.

What's up with the navigation bar options? We have capacitive buttons. :thinking:

Anything like DSP Manager on board?

Can I assume that it's stuck with the stock camera app?

Edit - ok, the description for the rom is copied from the original for the Infuse, using soft buttons.

And the Infuse version claims working GPS a few revisions back.

I discovered a pretty cool app -

Check out "Ultimate Dynamic Navbar Lite"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.udn.lite

Considering adding a navbar to supplement the hard keys.

Edit 2 - from the Ultimate Dynamic Navbar -

Q: Android 4.3, can't hide notification. Is it possible to fix?

A: No, since google fixed bug I used to hide notification. There's no way to hide notification anymore :(

It's always something, but maybe it'll work here.

Edit 3 - I wonder if I can get the MeanBean camera working with this - or maybe the MeanRom one, that one moved around easily in ICS.

Upvote 0
sorry EM just woke and have not played around with it too much. there are some cool tweak apps cooked in. there is definitely a lot of stuff going on that i need to play with for the next few days......gonna see how battery life is on the stock kernel. i wonder if the komodo kernel will work on this or not. i need to read the thread i guess.....LOL

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Had to go to settings, system, hardware keys (all the way at the bottom) to get to the hardware button mapping.

Had to turn on the nav bar so I could use app menus until I figured that out.

Also - under /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd, I seem to have two orphan files at the mount point. Anything is possible with me, others may not see that.

The sd card is under /external_sd - could not get any app/data restore working until I figured that out.

Edit - well - a full app restore was a mistake. :rofl: I'm picking up things from my old setup that I ought not have bothered with. :rofl:

Upvote 0
Ok - DSP Manager works. DSP Manager is baked in.

I flashed gapps - it said it worked. I was surprised that I had to flash YouTube and Maps separately.

GPS lock (3G, no wifi help) was very fast, reasonably accurate, I was at 10' after using GPS Status to calibrate the compass and pitch and roll.

Stock camera app is brain dead. Useless to me. Need to decide if going to mess with something else or go for Camera JB+ here.

Didn't expect it to work and FM radio didn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~

It's ok.

Probably a boon to AOSP lovers. I'll drive it for a day or two, see if that grows on me.

So far nothing is actually failing.

Camera could still be a deal-killer for me - MikeXDA still has the best I've used.

~~~~~~~~~

Aside from dialing myself, is there a voicemail on this?

Upvote 0
I really like the performance here and the support features.

This is really a pretty well polished work in my opinion.

If I were going with an AOSP rom, it would be this one.

I had a few of my favorite apps just not act the way I wanted on HTC JellyBean but did exceptionally well here.

The animations are really fluid, top notch.
But I prefer speed so I turned them off and liked it even more.

I also found that it responded very well to my shmmax mod in my experiment thread - set it to 384 MB and it *really* flew.

I recommend this rom strongly to any AOSP lover.

I'm sure you will all have your own preferences but I think it is definitely worth a full test run before deciding.

In the end, I'm addicted to MikeXDA's camera and Viper ICS (no longer supported) for my needs.

But I will be trying this again with Camera JB+ as a compromise on the camera.

I couldn't hate the one that came with it any worse but that's not the rom's fault.

Per usual, I ran this with the Nova launcher but maybe the others are even better.

I'm sure I'd have more opinions, plus and maybe minus, if I gave it more time.

The deal here is simple. The original dev made this for the Samsung Infuse 4G.

Here's the thread with the changelog -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2091900

He's a righteous dude and put everything out there to cross build to other phones, that's what this effort is. And the guy that put this together seems pretty righteous as well. Edit - he's just building it, says his phone doesn't get along with JellyBean.

So - I think that the changelog tells another positive story and hope this version gets maintained.

There's my two cents, your mileage may vary.

I think we need this thread in our rom sticky, hint to anyone free for that before I am. :eek:

PS - with my typical apps and services loaded, I was using over 600 MB of ram, about 630 I think, out of about 780 (going by memory) right after startup.

I'm used to hearing about CM and AOSP being lean on memory. I'm used to saying that if you run a lot of features and apps expect to use ram. I did and saw no performance issues.

Not sure if that's worth mentioning but that's my opinion.

Upvote 0
yeah this thing is pretty fast right out of the box. the android tweaker app is pretty cool, so cool i bought the pro version. i used the auto tweaker and set it to performance. if you feel like it you can tweak it yourself....but i'm lazy....LOL

i'm 12 hours in and i'm at 69%..... i have not tried gps just yet, but it found my location pretty easily enough. will try that out tomorrow.

it has halo(which i have never used before) and pie.

like em says it does have dsp manager....i will see how the sound is tomorrow.

i like it so far......still lots of stuff to play and learn from this rom, but i agree this is finally a rom to give pacman a run for its money.

Upvote 0
Man, my battery was not good over night.

Dropped over 40% in 7 hours while asleep. Phone slept good too, no wakelocks that stand out. Had WiFi on the whole time, maybe it doesn't sleep like it does on Sense?

I really haven't messed with AOSP roms for a while. Watching....Learning...

PS: Thanks for the clock suggestions doods! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones