1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 4.3 completely messed up my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FriedSaTiva, Jan 9, 2014.

1. FriedSaTiva

FriedSaTiva Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2012
    Male
    So last week I updated to 4.3, and immediately things started going horribly wrong. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't send text messages, so I did a soft reset and that temporarily fixed it but it comes and goes. Next, my ringtone kept going off and I would scour my phone logs for calls or texts or anything to cause the phone to ring, I finally realized that it happened when the air preview thing came on, so literally any time something passed over my phone, the ringtone would go off, so I disabled that(even though I used it all the time beforehand)and that stopped it. So long story short almost nothing works correctly, apps lag, freeze, glitch, and crash. If I go into my app drawer and click Show Disable Apps, TouchWiz crashes. Almost none of the Galaxy 4 specific things work ie any of the air view things, voice control, smart screen, almost none of the gestures work.

The worst thing is that I rarely receive phone calls or text messages when they should be received. For example my phone won't go off for hours and then I'll get 8 text messages and a missed call all at once. Yesterday, my phone told me I had a voice mail and I didn't. Not to mention the battery life is literally 1/3 of what it used to be.

This update has been nothing but problems and I can't find a way to go back to 4.2 or even reinstall 4.3. I cannot for the life of me understand how they could release something so(for lack of a better term)****** up and completely block any way of going back to when it actually worked. Had I rooted the phone like I thought of doing(I figured why bother? It was excellent how it was), I could just restore a backup but I didn't root it.

All I want is to have a phone that's not basically useless. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. I'll list off some specs, if more are needed let me know.

Carrier: ATT
    Phone: Galaxy S4
    Version: 4.3
    Model: SGH-i337
    Build: JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2
    Kernel: 3.4.0-1921628

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Not just for you. S3 owners have reported tons of bugs. S4 owners seem better off - the phone still works, it's just close to useless.

SamMobile Firmwares Put in the model NUMBER of your phone. (S4 won't cut it - there are many, many firmwares of each version of Android for the S4, and putting in the wrong one could kill your phone.)

Because they know you can't do anything about it, and getting it out FAST is more important to marketing (which is actually what runs most companies) that getting it out RIGHT. Marketing sets the deadlines for programming - and if programming tells marketing that the deadline is total fantasy they're told to work faster.

And you would have voided the warranty, because they don't want you using the phone properly, they want you using it their way. (I'm retired - why do I need the corporate security blanket [a false one, it turns out - there are security holes in it] of Knox in my phone, completely keeping me [so far] from running a decent recovery?)

As I said, go to SamMobile, put in i337 and see if they have the AT&T ROM for it. (I just went and looked - they have 4.2.2) You have to create an account to download.

FriedSaTiva likes this.
  3. FriedSaTiva

FriedSaTiva Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2012
    Male
    Thank you. After my contract ends I'm going to try to leave att, and I doubt I'll ever buy a Samsung again. Could you or someone else point me in the direction of some instructions to installing this?

4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    Unfortunately, the Android 4.3, AT&T, stock Samsung firmware is not available for download on SamMobile, only the earlier Android 4.2.2 which you cannot revert to once you have installed 4.3 with the locked bootloader and Knox Security flag. See #1.1 of Knox Security & locked bootloader on new firmwares.

You could try wiping the cache partition in Recovery, see, here, in the first instance. Failing that, a Factory Data Reset as described, here.

FriedSaTiva likes this.
  5. FriedSaTiva

FriedSaTiva Lurker
    None

Dec 8, 2012
    Male
    Hmm, that sucks. So I wiped the cache partition and it didn't help unfortunately. Will a FDR help? lol

6. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    The simple answer is... "You won't know unless you try". ;)

If nothing else, it will show if your update is corrupted, (this can happen, particularly with OTA updates), providing that you check out the firmware thoroughly before re-installing any apps or settings. If it is fine, then it is your apps or settings that are causing the problem, as described in the link. If your firmware update is corrupt you will need to get your phone re-flashed with the update, probably at a service point in the absence of AT&T 4.3 firmware being available from SamMobile, unless you can find another, reliable, source.

7. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2013
    NW Arkansas, USA
    Yep, and if you call your provider for help, they'll want you to try that anyway. So might as well give it a shot.

I think most of us S4 owners are a little ticked off about this 4.3/Knox release. We'd been used to just taking the updates. They always seemed to be great. And then this monstrosity comes along and screws a lot of phones up, without even letting us revert. Sure is tarnishing Samsung's image. My wife's S3 (non-rooted) has not been the same since she took the latest update, either. I guess we still prefer them over our HTC's, but they sure took a step backwards with the latest crappy releases, IMO.

smitty543 likes this.
  8. MomaDave

MomaDave Lurker
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    Male
    Info Sys Analyst
    Sacramento, CA
    I purchased a VZW GS4 about a week prior to their 4.3 push. I updated to 4.2.2 and have deferred the 4.3 update ever since. With 4.2.2, my phone works perfectly... Why risk screwing it up. I don't think I'm missing great benefits with 4.3 so I will continue to defer the update.