1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

4.3 General questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by calenatar, Dec 5, 2013.

1. calenatar

calenatar Lurker

So, before today my s3 had 4.1 on it, now VM pushed 4.3 on me. non rooted phone btw. I've got just a few simple gripe's that I'm hoping you all can help me remedy. first off, on the lock screen when I get a text message it used to show an icon that i'd swipe over and it would go straight to the new message. the new version of this is clunky and seems to not work half the time. any way I can change it back to the simple working version I used to have? also on the notification tray I used to have a mobile data button, now I do not. I keep my data off unless I want to use it to save battery during the day. when I go to the tray settings there's no option for adding mobile data even. there are 15 buttons that I can choose from

wifi
    gps
    sound
    screen rotation
    bluetooth
    blocking mode
    power saving
    multi window
    screen mirroring
    sbeam
    nfc
    hands free
    smart stay
    sync
    airplane mode

there used to be mobile data amongst those options and it made turning my data usage on and off quick and simple, now i have to click through a bunch of settings to turn it off and on.

Sorry if this seems newbish, I've just not got alot of experience with this phone to start with, and then they changed a bunch of stuff around on me and I could use a little help lol. Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Fazermint

Fazermint Newbie

Yeah they took it away, which is very annoying. I went to Play Store and got a simple data widget. Works great.

3. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member

One of the developers on XDA has a flashable .zip file to restore the toggles that were available on 4.1.2 but are now missing on 4.3, including Mobile Data. Not sure if you have to be rooted or running custom recovery to use this, since I am both rooted and running custom recovery I have no way of knowing if this works for stock recovery, rooted or otherwise.

[STOCK ROM] Stock 4.3 MK3 ROM [ROOTED/UNROOTED] - Page 67 - xda-developers

Originally designed for MK3 Sprint version but confirmed working on MK5 VM stock rooted Knox-free version posted by jdsingle76.

4. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast

To flash any .zip you have to have a custom recovery installed. YOu can't use the stock recovery for that purpose and you don't have to be rooted to flash a custom recovery, but if you're not rooted and don't have a custom ROM then your custom recovery will be overwritten during the next boot cycle and you're back to stock.

So to flash a .zip you need to put it on your SD card in your device, put into download mode and flash a custom recovery via Odin. Then before it reboots put it into recovery mode, flash the .zip (always clear cache and dalvik beforehand) and reboot.

Overall, it is simpler to root and never have to go through this, imho.

struckn likes this.
  5. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member

True that on the rooting advice, and thanks for the clarification. Rooting is the first thing I do with any new device, opens up what Android is truly meant to be.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews