1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 4.3 update Discussion and issues HERE !!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ccccsdad, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Google Play is pretty much most of Android these days. It includes the app you use to get apps from the Play store.

HP Print Service and Samsung Print Service are apps that allow you to print from the phone to various printers. They're not the best apps to do that.

Since all of these are system apps, you can't delete them unless you root the phone (get administrative access to Android - which would void the warranty). And DON'T remove Google Play. Most of your phone will stop functioning.

Advertisement

2. Bob Vance

Bob Vance Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2013
    Neo,

If you get a chance and have the inclination would you mind elaborating on your update process as a step by step? The actual detailed "how I did it" version? It seems you did much prep work before and after OTA. I have updated android before and blackberry too with no issues but I think your best practice may be useful to many., No big deal if you don't want to

bv

ScandaLeX likes this.
  3. Bob Vance

Bob Vance Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2013

what did you backup of your internal storage?

4. NeoGrandizer

NeoGrandizer Android Expert
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    You can find them listed under 'All' in Application manager.

The apps you listed are in there. They can also be disabled (at least they are for me on Telus) without issue.

5. miss_vickies

miss_vickies Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2012
    Female
    Toronto
    Ouch..really huh.... that sucks cause they are just going to sit there waiting for an update... but I guess I will leave them. Thank you for your response :):beer::thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

6. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    Miscellaneous data files (such as sketches, S Notes, etc). Anything else that might have been saved into it when I wasn't paying attention (like some pics, multimedia, etc). Most important are the SMS, MMS and call logs. I archive them and need to refer to them from time to time.

Bob Vance likes this.
  7. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    If you don't use them, you can disable them. It'll actually remove the updates first (if any were installed), install the ROM default and then disable itself. You won't be prompted anymore to update them if they are disabled. Disabling an app is similar to uninstalling.

8. jenergizer

jenergizer Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2013
    I upgraded last night to 4.3.. now a whole slew of apps and games don't even load. . And even apps I'm not even using or have open are crashing cuz I'm getting messages that it's "stopped working".
    It's there a way too uninstall the last update only?
    If not anyone else having our had the same problem let me know how to fix.
    I miss my apps. . Not even Firefox works!

9. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    I don't know how many people would want to do what I do considering it is time consuming as well. If I rushed through it, I would still be out hours redoing everything I wanted. Even now, with the 4.3 update, I'm still running mostly bare bones with essential everyday apps I use. No games or leisure apps installed yet. Still debating on whether to stay with it or revert back to 4.1.2. I've only played with 4.3 for close to a week.

Even though I hate 4.3 at the moment, I like to tinker and play around with things. Which is why I don't mind doing the clean installs. Gives me time to play and revisit/re-evaluate my setup. Also breaks my common routine and makes me try something new.

But not everyone likes to do that.

When I find the time, I'll post details on how I go about doing pre/post upgrades. But the most important first step is BACKUP. ;)

ScandaLeX likes this.
  10. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    Odd, the apps I've loaded to date work fine (Nova Launcher Prime, Puffin Browser, CameraZoom FX, etc). I haven't run into any issues with the exception of the Samsung Hub not being able to install the video and book hubs. Otherwise everything seems to be running as should.

Try to boot into the Android Recovery Console and do a cache wipe. See if that will help.

To boot into the Console just power off the device. Then press and hold the Home, Volume Up and Power buttons together. When the Note II splash screen appears, release only the power button. Wait for the green guy to appear and release the other buttons. Use the Volume buttons to navigate the menu and power button to select.

11. Jore

Jore Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    California
    I've done 2 hard resets since the 4.3 upgrade and haven't noticed any change. I used to average about 17-20 hours with moderate usage and streaming iheart most of the day but since the upgrade I've lost a couple hours.

I never had to use one but want to give it a try...is there a good task killer app?

12. DaytonKiwi

DaytonKiwi Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    and the big but here is I really dont like the new lock screen! I want the lock screen off of the 4.2.2 ver.
    Dose anyone know how to get it back with out reverting back to 4.2?
    I would post a pic of what i mean if I could but being a noobie and all!
    other than that I really like every thing else about the update.
    I have a GT-N7100 international unlocked phone?
    I was really trying not to root my phone if I didnt have to because it does everything that I want it too, ie tethering, but I will if that is what it takes.

13. Bob Vance

Bob Vance Newbie
    None

Dec 2, 2013
    Much appreciated

14. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    I never used any task killers and from my understanding are bad within the Android environment since it handles tasks differently. I generally use the built-in task manager to clear RAM if needed. Though I have to admit that the RAM utilization on 4.3 is a bit higher than it was with 4.1.2 (at least on my Note 2).

15. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    Can you describe what exactly on the lock screen you are looking for or want? Is it the placement of the clock that is not to your liking? Using swipe with a secure lock? Effects? Shortcuts?

16. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    With 2h43m of screen time.
    [​IMG]

17. dpullen

dpullen Newbie
    None

Jun 12, 2012
    Has anyone with an at&t version of the note 2 gotten the update?

I'm seeing lots of posts from other carriers...

18. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
  19. DaytonKiwi

DaytonKiwi Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    I prefer the the circle notifications that you can use to swipe and unlock the the phone. I like it because the 'text bubble' takes mt to the last message received instead of to the last message I was looking at before the phone locked again.
    I know it sounds a little pedantic but it is a pain in the arse when you keep texting the wrong person because your not used to it.

[​IMG]
    The bubbles in the middle of the screen is what Im looking for.
    Think I might just reflash back to 4.2.2. if there isnt a solution. wonder if anyone is able to put together a .apk file?
    Who has a trust worth web site that has stock roms for the Note 2?

20. NeoGrandizer

None

Mar 9, 2012
    Oh, that... Nothing can be done about it if you remain with 4.3 stock. :(

I also miss that too. I hate this new notification on the lock screen. I also don't like that they removed the swipe lock with a secure lock underneath.

I'm not sure if something like widget locker would be able to do something similar. That's probably a more recognized lock screen app. Don't know why Samsung changed it the way it is. Now I get this butt ugly rectangular notification on the top I'm not too fond of.

I'm still sticking with 4.3 at the moment. Still running it down and seeing if it's worth keeping or throwing out and reverting back. The only reason I still have it is because I'm able to free up space in my internal storage with moving apps to SD again without rooting. That's the only pro (and an important one for me) at the moment. Otherwise, I would have trashed it and reverted back the moment I saw the changes I did not like.

DaytonKiwi likes this.
  21. DaytonKiwi

DaytonKiwi Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    I had figured as much.
    Do you know of a good thread with trusted links to restoring the Stock 4.2.2 ROM?
    Im wondering how KITKAT will look now?

22. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    I moved and merged all the 4.3 discussion and issue here to this thread, will be easier for all to troubleshoot and discuss, cheers. ;)

23. DaytonKiwi

DaytonKiwi Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    If you like you phone as it is dont update, the 4.3 update adds a bunch of cool things but makes the UI butt arse ugly!!

24. hobocop

hobocop Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Telus Note 2 owner here, updated to 4.3 a couple days ago.

Biggest complaint is that the smallest font size (in text messages) is now WAY too big, with no way to reduce the size. Volume control size changer works but does not go any smaller than what used to be a more medium-large size. I have found others online who have the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Eliminated GO Launcher as the cause.

25. almath

almath Android Expert

Sep 1, 2012
    Female
    St. Louis
    Got the notification of an update this morning, I swiped that s*** to the right to clear and kept it moving!