• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.3 Update - should i or should I wait

devswap

Dec 26, 2012
I have received the notification that the 4.3 update is now available to download OTA for my S4. I am in the uk and on carrier O2. Just wondering if anyone has done this already and if there are any problems. I have always installed the updates as soon as they come out for my galaxy tab 2 and this has caused me some issues and on occasions I have felt like I wanted to downgrade which Samsung inform me is impossible. I can cope with these glitches on a tablet but I just want my phone to work and I am happy with it on 4.2.2 I am nervous as the update was released previously and then pulled due to problems and hence this new release doesnt fill me with confidence.

Any experiences of the update you have would be welcome

Thanks

Go ahead and update. Most of the, "glitches", you refer to were only applicable to the U.S. models. The latest O2 firmware release for the GT-i9505, is MK8 and is 7-9 builds later than those original U.S. firmwares.

Tips: Do an update via Kies rather than OTA and if you want to be really ultra thorough, do a Factory Data Reset prior to updating and then re-sync and install your apps, but not settings, via your gmail account. Backup any important files from your phone's sd memory as well. External SD card is not touched and will be OK as long as you do not have apps on it.

Upvote 0
Sorry to offer an opposing view but I would wait. Admittedly I am on a different carrier in the UK (Three) but I updated to 4.3 on Monday night and it's been really poor. My version was MK9

The whole phone has become sluggish with and noticeable lag on a lot of operations including this typing! I also think my battery life has reduced to about a whole day. On 4.2 I could easily squeeze out a day and half.

Obviously Samsung learnt nothing from the S3 4.3 update debacle!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones