1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

4.3 Update - should i or should I wait

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by devswap, Dec 13, 2013.

1. devswap

devswap Newbie

I have received the notification that the 4.3 update is now available to download OTA for my S4. I am in the uk and on carrier O2. Just wondering if anyone has done this already and if there are any problems. I have always installed the updates as soon as they come out for my galaxy tab 2 and this has caused me some issues and on occasions I have felt like I wanted to downgrade which Samsung inform me is impossible. I can cope with these glitches on a tablet but I just want my phone to work and I am happy with it on 4.2.2 I am nervous as the update was released previously and then pulled due to problems and hence this new release doesnt fill me with confidence.

Any experiences of the update you have would be welcome

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Go ahead and update. Most of the, "glitches", you refer to were only applicable to the U.S. models. The latest O2 firmware release for the GT-i9505, is MK8 and is 7-9 builds later than those original U.S. firmwares.

Tips: Do an update via Kies rather than OTA and if you want to be really ultra thorough, do a Factory Data Reset prior to updating and then re-sync and install your apps, but not settings, via your gmail account. Backup any important files from your phone's sd memory as well. External SD card is not touched and will be OK as long as you do not have apps on it.

3. METALMICKY

METALMICKY Newbie

Sorry to offer an opposing view but I would wait. Admittedly I am on a different carrier in the UK (Three) but I updated to 4.3 on Monday night and it's been really poor. My version was MK9

The whole phone has become sluggish with and noticeable lag on a lot of operations including this typing! I also think my battery life has reduced to about a whole day. On 4.2 I could easily squeeze out a day and half.

Obviously Samsung learnt nothing from the S3 4.3 update debacle!

4. ironass

I'm sorry to say METALMICKY but it is not the actual firmware itself causing the problem but rather the user apps and settings as is so often the case, see, here.

5. devswap

devswap Newbie

Micky - have you done a factory reset and tested again?

6. ironass

Perhaps, before going the whole hog with a Factory Data Reset, here, you could try wiping your cache patition in Recovery mode, here, and see if that helps.

7. METALMICKY

METALMICKY Newbie

OK now for the update. It needed a full hard reset to sort out the sluggish response.

However, even with the usual tweaks there is no doubt that the battery does not last as long as when it was running 4.2. and the connection to my home WiFi seems a little flakey

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews