1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 4.3 upgrade fails to install on SPH-L710

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RIKIL, Jan 11, 2014.

1. RIKIL

RIKIL Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2012
    I have a rooted S3 from sprint (sph-l710) and I have tried to install an update twice but it fails both times. I am on 4.1.2 build JZO54K and the only mod I have done to it is root it.

What happens is I see a notification that I can install the 4.3 update and it does the normal reboot when I select it. It then shows the green robot and the installing icon. After a few minutes it will change to the green robot on it's back with the red fail icon. The red fail icon will flash for less than a second before it reboots and things are just like they were before I tried the install...still on 4.1.2.

I don't know why it failed. Is there a place to find more information about this?

I wouldn't mind resetting the phone completely and upgrading as long as I can save all of my user data and most of my settings. The only reason why I have it rooted is because I purchased Titanium backup pro and when I have restored using that before before, it has done a decent job. But this last time I am not sure my phone has been the same.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    How lucky can you get? It fails because it won't install on a rooted phone. Before you do ANYTHING, read all the bugs different S3 owners have been getting with the update. I wouldn't allow it on my phone if I had an S3. At least your phone still works - some people who have allowed the update to an S3 aren't so lucky.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. RIKIL

RIKIL Lurker
    None

Oct 29, 2012
    Honestly, I've searched but not sure what applies to me because I don't know the errors I'm getting. But Thanks for the warning. I wasn't aware it was that bad for this model.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    I dont think its that bad but since youre rooted (do you have clockwork or twrp recovery installed?) Why not just flash a 4.3 touchwiz rom with all the crap removed (including the secure bootloader) :thumbup:

5. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    ^ What Funky said. Since your phone is rooted if you want to install the update you'll have to flash it through a custom recovery. NEVER EVER try to update a rooted phone with an OTA update. While rare, it could screw up your phone trying to do so but normally the update just fails. In the case of this particular update it will also install Knox which is Samsung's new way of screwing up your boot loader.

Here is the update already rooted for the Sprint SPH-L710.
    [STOCK ROM] Stock 4.3 MK3 ROM [ROOTED/UNROOTED] - xda-developers

funkylogik likes this.