1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

4.4.2, Whats it all about?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ooberandy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast

I got the update this morning & have installed it. Haven't played with it yet, but does anyone know whats in the update?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

4.4.2 :eek:

I still haven't got 4.4.1!

3. ooberandy

Wasn't 4.4.1 mainly aimed at the Nexus 5?

4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

That could explain it

;)

5. tanware

tanware Android Enthusiast

6. hal1

hal1 Android Expert

MX player not working after 4.4.2 update on my nexus 7 and nexus 10

7. tanware

Same here.......

8. kingfroman

kingfroman Newbie

I've noticed they changed the tone on the stock keyboard not sure if it was like that before 4.2.2. Also noticed the gps in the power widget becomes half lit when you try to turn it off.

9. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

Waste of internal storage. Still no transparency or ART yet. I can't stand Dalvik anymore.

10. ooberandy

I have ART on mine. You have to tap about phone 7 times for the menu to pop up.

I also noticed you can change the UI to be left handed. Not sure if this is from 4.4 or before, but its the first time ive noticed it. Its taking some getting used to, but is nicer than having to stretch across the screen all the time.

11. tanware

That maybe true for the Nexus 4 but the 10 does not seem to have ART even with developer options enabled.

12. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

Custom firmwares. I've been using ART for nearly two weeks. It has almost no performance gains in my experience.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. tanware

I think the op is on the OTA 4.4.2 with the Nexus 4.

14. ooberandy

You are correct :D

I was getting confused as to which forum I was in as I have both nexus 4 & 10

15. nickdalzell

not only did they leave out ART, but also left out transparency as well. i can sideload the GEL Launcher but i don't buy their stupid reasoning for leaving out transparency in the nav bar and notification bar. i mean seriously, Google, your most powerful tablet in the entire Nexus line and you cite performance issues as the reason for leaving it out, but you allow it to run on the Nexus 7 2012 edition, which is seriously lower spec than the Nexus 10!? i don't buy your excuse Google.

16. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Do you have a source to point to where they cited performance issues? I'd be interested in reading it.

17. dibblebill

I can tell you first-hand from one w/ the transparency flag turned on, it runs fine with transparency.

18. tanware

If I remember correctly they were stating an issue with GEL but supposedly it was fixed with the GEL release at the time of the 4.4 release. So if you installed 4.4 and GEL a the time of the OTA the performance issue should be fixed but the OTA still does not have the option. Those with custom ROMs of 4.4 and the released GEL should not have any issues at all.

I am giving a chance for the OTA to activate the transparencies but if they do not soon a custom ROM may be in my near future.............

19. nickdalzell

me too. i read that rooting requires a bootloader unlock and that means a wipe--got tons of games on the thing with a lot of progress i can't afford to lose and start over. i'm not sure where this whole myth of the Nexus 10's GPU suddenly being 'inferior for games' (the excuse in the articles for Real Racing 3, which still looks horrible in the graphics department compared with its iOS version with full-anti-aliasing support) or having a 'slow GPU' (really?) came from. it's the most powerful tablet in Google's Nexus lineup. this myth needs to be deleted!

20. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Correct. Rooting requires unlocking the bootloader... Which is why I always suggest anyone with a nexus unlock it as soon as they get it. Whether they plan on rooting it right away or *maybe* sometime down the road

Keep in mind, Google with back up all your games AND their data if you allow it to

21. dibblebill

It won't back up game saves. SOme games, not even Titanium Backup will. The developers save their games in ways that this won't support.

That being said, its not hte GPU that's the issue, its pushing 4 million pixels (double that of a 1080p display, 4x that of 1280x800)

22. tanware

Again this is from memory but supposedly there were performance issues that were unknown until they found that Nova Launcher (?) with transparencies enabled had no issues. Once it was realized GEL was the issue it was quickly fixed before it became available to everyone. I could well be wrong here.

I wonder if we just root if the transparencies become available or if we have to custom rom as well.............

23. nickdalzell

You'll need a custom ROM to get transparency and ART. Root don't change the stock ROM.