1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 4 Days in with the ThunderBolt! My Honest take...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sean76, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Ok, so I've had my ThunderBolt since Thursday, launch day! And this is what I have to pretty much say about our newest Super Phone.

Design: Awesome! I love the look of the TB, it's a really nice looking phone, who ever says otherwise has zero taste.Is it to BIG for some?
    Yes, of course it'll feel too BIG for some people, or a little to heavy, all depends on what you consider BIG. I personally like a 4' screen. But I'll take the extra screen real estate in a heartbeat. To me it feels very good in the hand.

Display: For a Super LCD, it's pretty good! Not great in sunlight, but not totally horrible or as bad as the original incredible. What I'm saying is it's usable! In normal light, or indoors it's very good. Colors are bright and vivid, and Blacks do not look washed as they did on the original EVO or Droid X...Of course nothing right now is as good as a Super Amoled, but I'll take this as a close second.

Build Quality: I'd say suspect at best! HTC you really need to take notice on this stuff, we had these issues on the EVO, and some are having similar issues like, Light leakage, dust under the screen, recessed power buttons, and faulty volume rockers...COME ON HTC! Seriously you guys make beautiful devices, and market the hell out of em, at least back em up with Great Build Quality. Sorry, to me these are things that should not happen or be present on a high end phone.

Call Quality: Decent! Not Great & not Bad is my take. Calls are extremly loud, even with the volume half way up, however background noise is heavy, and I hear a Humm in the background when calls connect. Voices also sound a little high pitched and choppy at times as well! Some are calling it the best sounding device to date, I just dont hear it that way!

Data/4G: Amazing! The speed is insane, this is by far the fastest phone I have ever used. Not to much can be said, except for the fact that this phone is as fast or faster then my home land line house computer. That last line should be enough praise on how fast this phone really is. Pages load instantly, and GPS locks on in about 2 seconds, and Google maps pulls the data right up. I have not lost a 4G connection since I got the phone. Very Very Impressive VZW!

Overall feel of the phone UI/OS: I happen to like sense, I think HTC does a real good job of skinning they're phones and laying sense over Android. The TB is extremely snappy, and everything flows together real well. Some will say otherwise, and say they hate sense. To those I say download Launcher Pro! I had it on my Fascinate and loved it, however Sense is way more polished then Touch Wiz, so for now I'm leaving sense on and enjoying it. Would I like a straight Vanilla feel, of course I would, but thats reserved for the Nexus line, and until they decide to put micro SD cards, and 720p and above on there for Video, I'll pass!

Battery Life: So far, HORRID! Simple as that, this phone is right now one of the worst I've used when it comes to battery life! My EVO wasn't so good, but this blows it away with how it eats up the battery. There is only one way to point the Finger...Straight at HTC! a 1400mAh battery for an LTE 4G, 4'3 inch screen phone, with a super LCD? I'm sorry, but IMO that is just plain DUMB! The EVO came with a 1500mAh battery, why go smaller? Makes no sense, Oh because 2.2 is better on battery life then 2.1? Save it, there is no excuse to go smaller! Especially when Moto is shipping the Atrix out with a 1850mAh battery. Some are claiming they are getting great battery life, me and a few people I know that got the phone on Thursday are all seeing the same Terrible battery life. Some say shut 4G off? Really, so buy a 4G phone to use it on 3G when I live in a 4G area? I wont even consider that last option. The Fix...HTC needs to ship these phones with bigger batteries, plain and simple!

Overall Wrap Up: To say the least, I'm an Android Fan! So I will not sit here and say the phone is garbage, because it's not! It's a beautiful looking phone that needs a bigger battery, and maybe a software update to help a little bit with call quality IMO. Would I say to a friend go out and buy it? Sure, why not! Like I said, I support Android to the fullest and can't really see saying it's so bad, and that somesone shouldn't buy it! However be warned that Battery life is not very good right now, and maybe a good idea would be to wait a few weeks for new batches that may have better build quality to hit shelves. Overall, Android continues to grow, and this phone right here has the title of being the fastest phone to ever grace a human beings hands. To some the speed may out weigh any the bad, YES, it's that fast!

Advertisement

2. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    I wanna play... I'm going to compare the TB to the Atrix and the Samsung Captivate because I've owned all three phones in the last month.

Display:
    TB: The display is amazing on the TB. The colors are "accurate" and the brightness is nice. I don't see any issues with having the 480 x 800 quality on a 4.3" phone. Also, I can still use the phone in direct sunlight - better than the Atrix or Captivate.
    Atrix: The display on the Atrix is crisp but the icons and font is too small. Also, dark colors seem to wash into each other (e.g. black next to dark brown next to dark gray). It's hard to tell dark colors from one another on the Atrix.
    Captivate: Captivate has an awesome screen but the colors are too exaggerated - almost cartoon-y.

1. TB
    2. Captivate
    3. Atrix

Network:
    at&t has a faster 3G network in my area but Verizon has better/stronger coverage. at&t also enjoys capping upload speeds for phones that don't start with a lower-case "i". I'm also in an LTE network so this one is a no-brainer.
    1. TB
    2/3. Atrix & Captivate

Speed:
    TB: I have never had the TB lag on me once. It's blazing fast.
    (No quadrant scores here - I don't care about them as it's all about actual experience to me).
    Atrix: The Atrix is fast, but I experienced constant lag when coming out of the lock screen.
    Captivate: The Captivate has a HORRIBLE lag and is incredibly slow. Mainly due to the file system Samsung chose to implement.

1. TB
    2. Atrix
    3. Captivate

Build:
    TB: The TB feels solid. I love the feel of the back cover as the "rubberized" surface feels like the phone isn't going to slip out of your hands.
    Atrix: The Atrix feels solid as well, but that snap-on back causes some audible "squeeks" when handling the phone. The power button is a pain as well.
    Captivate: The Captivate feels good, but it would have been nice to have the power/sleep button on the top of the phone. The Captivate is also extremely light.

1. TB
    2. Captivate
    3. Atrix

Annoyances:
    TB: It would have been nice if the power and volume rocker stuck out just a tiny bit more.
    Atrix: The power/sleep button on the Atrix is a pain in the a**.
    Captivate: The Captivate has a non-functioning GPS.

1. TB
    2. Atrix
    3. Captivate

Media Capabilities:
    TB: The TB is amazing. With the 40 GB (more like 30) of internal storage, you can load up tons of music and movies. The kickstand is awesome for movies. When listening to music, propping the phone up on the kickstand makes that speaker sound awesome. Otherwise, it slightly quiets the sound when closed.
    Atrix: The Atrix was nothing special. In fact, the speaker sounded really tinny to me.
    Captivate: The Captivate was nice because it seemed the stock player would just play any video format I threw on the phone. Video looked great on the Captivate as well.

1. TB
    2. Captivate
    3. Atrix

Skin:
    TB: I actually really like the Sense UI. Sticking with it - no LauncherPro here.
    Atrix: Motoblur gives the most stock-like experience but the actual MotoBlur widgets feel childish and cartoon-y. I decided to stick with LauncherPro.
    Captivate: The Touchwiz skin felt like a terrible iPhone knock-off. I hated it. I had to use LauncherPro.

1. TB
    2. Atrix
    3. Captivate

Battery:
    I can't give an accurate review on the TB's battery because it's only been four days. So far, I would have the Captivate and TB tied. The TB seems to be doing much better than the first two days.
    1. Atrix
    2/3. TB Captivate

Summary:
    The TB is the best Android phone I've ever used and it's on the nation's best network. Winning.

I guess that's it :)

willdogs and ska.t73 like this.
  3. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    Great review from the OP and I agree. I love when people say battery is fine. If this crappy battery was in an Apple they would be all over them. Say what you want but Apple products will atleast last, and last you through the day.

I'm not an Apple fan. Only Apple product I have is iPad and now have a TBolt. This phone is great but the battery is unmanageable. I'm constantly looking at my battery. Take off charger at 730 when I head to work its head by 1:30-2pm with little to no use. If I used this like I used to use my Blackberry it might be dead in 2-3 hours.

And for the record, I've done all the power saving tricks. Picture down to lowest setting, all push is off or to once a day. None of it does anything. The battery life is a joke even worse then the release fiasco of this phone.

SirKronan and Binglut9 like this.
  4. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I agree Man, a complete joke this battery is! While it is a Hottttt phone, the battery issue has got to be addressed. And your right, if this was an Apple product, people would be raising Hell...

5. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    Boy oh boy. I am so glad I didn't get this phone.

6. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Still not adding up, since reviews and previews of the Incredible S state it has fantastic battery life. With the exception of the 9660 radio chip- same hardware inside and display.

7. garnto

garnto Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    based off what? this one guys review?

I can honestly say I do not have a single problem he listed. no light leakage, no dust, rock solid, volume rocker and battery button stick out plenty far enough, the battery is not awesome but lasts as long as advertised, and I can honestly say the call quality is the best I have ever had(signal is a little iffy at times but sound quality is amazing)

seriously instead of constantly complaining about how bad the tb the OP needs to return his because it must just be a lemon

8. Binglut9

Binglut9 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    Buffalo,NY
    Good stuff Sean you return it yet?
    Mine was the same way the only thing I disagree is the build quality in my opinion is Garbo power button can't find loose, battery door I feel like I was going to break e device, volume rocker way to easy to press and way to long also loose, as mentioned kickstan in front of speaker.....the number one thing I thought was bad other than battery and design was call quality, it was horrible I couldn't understand anyone I was talking to constantly adjust volume constantly asked what they said it was annoying my droid x was awesome in that field

9. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    My battery is just fine -- for me. :) I rely on my phone for for emails and have push on. 12 hours, 32 minutes and 43 seconds since unplugged and I'm at 42 percent remaining.

irish likes this.
  10. matt0715

matt0715 Guest
    None
    I love this phone. Battery life is very good for me and always lasts a whole day and sometimes more. This phone is most likely the last great single core and will happily keep it for 2 years until my next upgrade

11. skinien

skinien Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Damn, I should have posted my review first so he would have liked the TB. :p

12. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    For people saying, "Glad I passed" and what have you, you do realize every single phone you buy will have some issue(s), right? The only "issue" I have is the battery and to be honest it's not that bad. It's on par with when I first got my Inc. Initially I'll admit it was terrible, but after some tweaking it's settling in nicely. Once ROMs and Kernels and the ability to underclock with the screen off, etc are readily available this phone will have great battery. I was going 2 days between charges on my Inc with heavy use so I have no worries about the Bolt's future. I would rather have this phone's "battery issue" than the "next best thing" that could possibly have a legit issue. This phone is a B E A S T and worth every penny. Just my $.02

13. TheXFactor

None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    Display is slightly smaller on the S? Read the reviews. They say it has fantastic battery life, don't believe it. Fantastic battery life and HTC don't go together.

14. TheXFactor

None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    Don't be silly.

15. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I'm going to wait about a week or so from today and then do an exchange. However, my lady has the TB also and her Battery life is really crappy also. And her usage is not even as heavy as mine! I would love to know how these people are getting 14 hrs out of this thing? Are they using 4G? Are they even touching the phone through out the day? Seriously now? I consider myself pretty educated in the tech world, and have a solid idea on how to stretch battery life out. It's just not seemingly realistic with a 1400mAh battery in this beast!

16. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    With the battery I and many others are getting this seems like a pipe dream. I'm not saying you're lying as you have no reason to, but I'm not sure how its possible. If I was getting that this phone would be amazing. Since it doesnt its really a bummer.

What are you doing to get that sort of life? Care to share and help the rest of us? I'm probably already doing it all but I'm hoping I'm not and you have a trick for the rest of us.

B46 likes this.
  17. lamoglinsgal

None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    Nothing really different than what's already been posted. I had the Incredible before, so I'm basically doing the same things I did with it, and I had similar results.

Screen brightness - less than half, or one bar on the brightness widget.

News/Stock sync off

Facebook sync - 1 hour

Gmail - push (2 accounts)

Screen timeout - 30 seconds, but I almost always lock the screen before putting it down

GPS - off unless in use

WiFi - Take advantage of it when I can

I also charge overnight every night. If I stick with that, I don't have any issues. It's a few minutes 'til 11:00 here now and I'm at 25 percent left.

Here's a list of my installed apps:

lamoglinsgal's Apps on the ADR6400L - Page 1

SirKronan and dlt123me like this.
  18. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    thanks llgal. And thats what makes me angry about this phone. I barely use it because the battery.

- screen lowest setting
    - my news/stock is off
    - facebook syncs 1 per day
    - gmail + 2 yahoo push once every 4 hours peak, once per day off peak
    - screen timeout 30 secs
    - GPS off
    - wifi off............havent used the phone enough to use it

- all vibrate is off as well

If anything my settings should use battery less than yours yet the battery doesnt hold up. I really dont get it.

Thanks for the post.

19. lamoglinsgal

None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    It really is strange. I remember thinking the same thing when I got my Incredible. While I waited, I read about everyone saying how horrible the battery was. I was "this" close to buying an extended or additional battery before it came, but ended up holding off. And I never needed it.

I'm just curious, but I wonder if there's maybe a common app/apps between people who are having bad battery life? The T-Bolt is a great device, and it's a shame that we can't have a somewhat universal experience when it comes to the battery.

This may also sounds crazy, but I wonder if some of the OEM batteries just aren't as up to par as others. I know when my husband and I got our X's, my batter was awesome, but his was dying fast. I had to end up getting a replacement for a blown speaker, and I kept my original battery, gave him the new one (they sent me a brand new replacement since it was within the first few days) and sent back the one he had originally gotten. The new battery had awesome life.

20. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    I dont have many apps because of my battery kills my passion to d/l more and I know battery cant handle it. basic apps I have are:

- handcent
    - audio manager
    - astro
    - juice defender
    - calculator

maybe 1 or 2 more but none that require data like a sports app. As you can see my apps cant be the issue either.

21. lamoglinsgal

None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I just thought of something else I always do. I came to Android with the OG Droid from Blackberry, so I was in the habit of ALWAYS properly exiting out of programs. Blackberry would crash and burn if too many apps were left open. So I always do this on my Droids as well. I rarely ever use the home button. I back out of everything, so nothing is left running. It may not be a necessity, but I do it.

22. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    I do the same. I came from Blackberry as well.

23. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    How bout this, someone I know who does beta testing for VZW phones was telling me a few weeks ago that the battery life on the TB is terrible, and is the reason why its being delayed. However we went on to say that programmers were having a tuff time programming the phone because it would just konk out, because the battery would just give out. So he said they had a fix and they're working out the kinks and a fix would be arriving any day now, and that all of the phones would need to be reprogrammed, and flashed with the fix. Now if this is legit, which I would assume it is, maybe its possible some TB's slipped through the cracks, and that's why some are seeing horrible battery life, and some are seeing pretty good battery life...maybe some of us got the ones that weren't reprogrammed?

24. Yellow Snowman

None

Mar 16, 2011
    how does one go about getting this fix?

25. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I wouldnt know, I guess it was something that was done in house by they're programmers. However, if VZW had any brains, they would hear the cries from some people out here experiencing bad battery life, and push out an update to fix it.