• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

I want to ask that can I install a stock rom with different baseband version on my galaxy s5.
Now my phone's baseband version is G900FXXU1ANG8. So, can I use a stock rom with version G900FDXU1BOA2???
I'm new here and I'm not sure whether my question is related to this topic or not , if not sorry for the inconvenience.
:D:D

Hi Jer Yit!

That's fine. Both firmwares are for the G900F model of phone, see, #1.3. You can flash it by following the linked instructions and video in #1.11. Please note the warning in that item.

Upvote 0
I am in the market for a Galaxy S5 and a co-worker want to sell me one for $350. I do not know what questions to ask before I buy. I am in the US and I need a good reliable phone and I like the Galaxy S5 from the little I know of it.

I do want however, unlimited data plan on Metro PCS Network.

If I recall correctly I think she said it can only be used on 4G Metro Network and not on 4G LTE. That's fine I guess (lack of too much knowledge) but the rest seem so confusing and seeing there are 40 different models like you said as of the date of this thread.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I am in the market for a Galaxy S5 and a co-worker want to sell me one for $350. I do not know what questions to ask before I buy. I am in the US and I need a good reliable phone and I like the Galaxy S5 from the little I know of it.

I do want however, unlimited data plan on Metro PCS Network.

If I recall correctly I think she said it can only be used on 4G Metro Network and not on 4G LTE. That's fine I guess (lack of too much knowledge) but the rest seem so confusing and seeing there are 40 different models like you said as of the date of this thread.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Android Forums drdave373a :)

As I am based in the Cotswolds, England, some of the U.S. carrier mobile/cellphone plans are not in my area of expertise. However, I can thoroughly recommend the Samsung Galaxy S5. From your post, it would appear that the model that you are interested in is the SM-G900T1, see #1.5. This is the model for Metro PCS, a subsidiary of T-Mobile (USA), and is designed specifically to operate on the Metro PCS network which is GSM and not CDMA. This means that the phone will also operate on most other, worldwide, GSM networks, (for 2G/3G, (not 4G/LTE globally), ), that have become the standard, globally. If you are thinking of using this phone on the Metro PCS network, this is the model to go for as in the U.S.A., phone models are tied to carriers. The G900T1 is, at present, still operating on Android 4.4.2, KitKat, and is awaiting an imminent update to Android 5.0, Lollipop, firmware. The G900T1 was released about 10 months ago and is nearing the end of its warranty period which, in the USA is, I believe, is only 1 year. As for the various plans with Metro PCS, I cannot comment.

If anyone has any more information on Metro PCS, the G900T1 or wishes to correct the above, feel free. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes the 900T1 is the Metro-specific version of the S5. It is essentially the same as the 900T for T-mobile. T-mo owns Metro and they both use T-mo's network. The difference between the two models is mostly branding and their firmwares are actually interchangeable.
Both the 900T and T1 support 4G and LTE on Metro and T-Mobile. So if this is the version your friend wants to sell you it'll be fine on Metro. You can verify the phone model in the settings menu under "About Phone".
One more thing, make sure the IMEI is clear when he sells it to you. If he is currently using it on Metro he must cancel service for that phone and his account must be paid up. Otherwise the IMEI could be blacklisted and you won't be able to activate the phone on Metro. You can go into a Metro store to check it or call their customer service. Better safe than sorry.
I'm typing this on my 900T1 right now. ☺

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Is this the case with all Samsung phones they make 40 some model for each phone they make. This is my first Samsung phone or does all the cell makers make many different models of the same phone

Most manufacturers make different versions of the same model. Samsung, perhaps, more than most. See also...

29 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?

Upvote 0
Please someone help me
I recently got a s5 g900f 16 gb,I live in United Arab Emirates.I am not receiving the update for lollipop.I tried even with kies but its not giving the update. My current android version is 4.4.2.I only want the offical update.Almost everyone has recieved the update and i want it badly,
Thanks in advance.

See, #1.10 and #1.11

Upvote 0
hi
can I use SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 4G SCL23 in sydney australia. what I found is SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 4G SCL23 is for japan. if I will use it what kinda problem I will face.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums naf12 :)

The Samsung Galaxy S5 carrier branded, minority variant, G900J, a.k.a. SCL23, should be fine on 2G/3G/4G/LTE on Optus, Telstra and Vodafone networks in Australia.

You can check, here...

Will My Phone Work?

Upvote 0
Ok! So, first, I want to thank you all for the information accumulated here. I have been using it to try to find a new phone for myself. I have been trying to compare the various models on http://www.willmyphonework.net/ .

I know I want to get a Galaxy S5, however, I am having trouble figuring out which one of the 41 different flavors (kinda feeling like I am in a Baskin Robbins for cell phones here) I should get. I need a phone that will work in both the US and Canada and is easily switchable via a purchased or pay as you go SIM card when traveling. I currently live in Canada, but I visit the US often as I am originally from there and still have family there.

Any particular Sub-Model any of you would recommend?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok! So, first, I want to thank you all for the information accumulated here. I have been using it to try to find a new phone for myself. I have been trying to compare the various models on http://www.willmyphonework.net/ .

I know I want to get a Galaxy S5, however, I am having trouble figuring out which one of the 41 different flavors (kinda feeling like I am in a Baskin Robbins for cell phones here) I should get. I need a phone that will work in both the US and Canada and is easily switchable via a purchased or pay as you go SIM card when traveling. I currently live in Canada, but I visit the US often as I am originally from there and still have family there.

Any particular Sub-Model any of you would recommend?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums E D :)

Unlike Europe, which has one network standard, the U.S.A. has numerous network bands as well as GSM and CDMA. Therefore you will need a phone that covers both of the carriers that you intend to use in both countries. All Canadian models are G900W8 and you can use WillMyPhoneWork to check out which U.S. carriers the model will fully work with. If you go for a U.S. model, then avoid CDMA phones and go for something like T-Mobile or AT&T but be careful as these may not work on all Canadian networks.

Reactions: Karen219
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums E D :)

Unlike Europe, which has one network standard, the U.S.A. has numerous network bands as well as GSM and CDMA. Therefore you will need a phone that covers both of the carriers that you intend to use in both countries. All Canadian models are G900W8 and you can use WillMyPhoneWork to check out which U.S. carriers the model will fully work with. If you go for a U.S. model, then avoid CDMA phones and go for something like T-Mobile or AT&T but be careful as these may not work on all Canadian networks.

Thanks!

I have been looking for GSM and trying to avoid CDMA for exactly those reasons... Basically, from what you are telling me, I should stick with the SM-G900W8 and just make sure that when I get a pay as you go SIM for the USA just make sure it is a carrier SIM that works with that particular SubModel of phone?

Thank you - just making absolutely sure!

Upvote 0
I have an SM-G900V USA Verizon phone. According to willmyphonework.net, when in China, I should be able to use China Mobile for 2g service. I only wish to receive data. But when I put in the China Mobile SIM I receive an error saying "SIM card is not from Verizon" and I get no data. Are there some other settings to change on the phone to make this work? The SIM works fine in a USA bought T-Mobile phone.

Upvote 0
I have an SM-G900V USA Verizon phone. According to willmyphonework.net, when in China, I should be able to use China Mobile for 2g service. I only wish to receive data. But when I put in the China Mobile SIM I receive an error saying "SIM card is not from Verizon" and I get no data. Are there some other settings to change on the phone to make this work? The SIM works fine in a USA bought T-Mobile phone.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums :)

Unfortunately, you have one of the most locked down phones on the planet. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

Unlike the majority of phones, you will need to get your SM-G900V phone unlocked by Verizon before you can use it on another network. 2G for data is very, very, slow and it may be worth considering buying or renting a phone whilst in China, depending on your length of stay.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yeh, definitely have to get it unlocked by Verizon first. And frankly for this phone, you'd be better off using China Unicom rather than China Mobile, that way you can have much faster 3G WCDMA data service. Or as @ironass says depending on how long you're staying here, buy a phone here, but it won't have Google services of course, like Play, which are blocked anyway unless using a VPN.

BTW Unicom seem to have some better value-for-money pre-paid SIM deals than CMCC these days. I switched carriers last month.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just got a new S5 at T-Mobile and it is a SM-G900T3, which is not listed anywhere in this thread.

Thanks jmm92108!

The SM-G900T3 is indeed another model of Galaxy S5. Released a couple of months ago for T-Mobile (USA) only. This is a carrier branded, minority variant that, to-date, has only had 1 firmware release on Android 5.1.1. G900T3UVU1FOG6

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Thought I'd post this one here for information and reference.

A work colleague's China Unicom version S5 received an update the other day and this appeared on it. And came to me howling about it, because most of them know I'm the Android geek around here. :)

The "73%" widget thing is a floating icon that always sites on top of the Touchwiz launcher.
912aea1a50eb8242d315ec95a99e2e26.jpg

..that takes you to this, which is clean-up task killer thing, and brings up Unicom's app store. Sure this stuff is Cheetah Mobile Clean Master, but customized for Samsung and Unicom. Although the phone's system language was set to English(US), this thing is Chinese only. The phone belongs to an American teacher, who hasn't learned to read Chinese yet.
2a6a293805b8408687fe85009f49183a.jpg

wostore.cn is Unicom's app store site, that is all freemium games with SMS billing.

3ffd124544ae0b74a21e9adab0d89ee9.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Happy to post info I think might be useful. Fortunately this could be disabled without rooting, so no more floating widget. Smart Manager is actually provided by "Cheetah Mobile Clean Master SDK", which the S5 has now been updated with. But the Unicom version is also a direct shortcut to their freemium games app store, so besides doing snakeoil things, seems they want to fill the phone with even more crap and make some money as well of course.

EDIT:-

Here's another instance of the same thing from my now retired Oppo F7a, ColorOS 2.1 Lollipop 5.0.
trash.jpg

"Too much trash. Please clean up!" OK!....thing is I'd just restored the firmware(unrooted), erased everything and factory reset the thing!! And it repeatedly put other stupid and very annoying messages up as well, "Can't work with a full belly!", etc.

Again it's "Cheetah Mobile Clean Master SDK", just like the Samsung S5 updates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones