• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Hello, I am new to the forum and found the information about the numerous versions of S5 interesting - and a little difficult to comprehend.

I have a problem that I hope somebody can help me with.

I have an SM-G900FD that I purchased as an import in the UK (probably came from UAE). I now live in Brazil.

I dropped the phone and now have a Black Screen (although perfectly intact). I can access the phone through Keys and it appears to be receiving messages OK. I took the phone to an Authorised Samsung Repairer in Brazil who confirmed that I need to replace the screen and digitizer, however none of the spares that they have are compatible with my phone, and therefore are unable to help further.

I contacted Samsung UK who helpfully advise that they don't sell replacement parts and that I should take it in to an authorised repairer in the UK.

Can somebody advise where I can obtain a replacement screen for this model, or maybe the part number of the item that I require? Is for example the screen for the SM-G900F compatible with the SM-G900FD? (if so I could purchase in the UK and have shipped to me in Brazil).

Upvote 0
Hello, I am new to the forum and found the information about the numerous versions of S5 interesting - and a little difficult to comprehend.

I have a problem that I hope somebody can help me with.

I have an SM-G900FD that I purchased as an import in the UK (probably came from UAE). I now live in Brazil.

I dropped the phone and now have a Black Screen (although perfectly intact). I can access the phone through Keys and it appears to be receiving messages OK. I took the phone to an Authorised Samsung Repairer in Brazil who confirmed that I need to replace the screen and digitizer, however none of the spares that they have are compatible with my phone, and therefore are unable to help further.

I contacted Samsung UK who helpfully advise that they don't sell replacement parts and that I should take it in to an authorised repairer in the UK.

Can somebody advise where I can obtain a replacement screen for this model, or maybe the part number of the item that I require? Is for example the screen for the SM-G900F compatible with the SM-G900FD? (if so I could purchase in the UK and have shipped to me in Brazil).

Hello and welcome to Android Forums IanFC :):)

You have encountered one of the problems associated with purchasing a minority variant that is not available worldwide. The SM-G900FD, Duos, is marketed, as you mention, mainly in the Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe. It would appear that the Duos does indeed require a particular screen and digitizer for that model. Either you could contact Samsung UAE or browse the web for stockists, to see if you can get the parts shipped to you for repair.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums IanFC :):)

You have encountered one of the problems associated with purchasing a minority variant that is not available worldwide. The SM-G900FD, Duos, is marketed, as you mention, mainly in the Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe. It would appear that the Duos does indeed require a particular screen and digitizer for that model. Either you could contact Samsung UAE or browse the web for stockists, to see if you can get the parts shipped to you for repair.
ironass, thank you for your reply.

Does anyone know if the screen/digitizer for the SM-G900F is compatible with the SM-G900FD?

Upvote 0
My S5 G900FD does not have TD40 2300MHZ band. I tried flashing Firmware of 9008W which is having band 40 but odin fails to flash. Flashing G900MD Baseband includes the MD bands but shows not supported in the Service mode menu even after changing the NV values at 06828 and 06929. Can I flash modem of G900I which is a single SIM Rom containing Band40.

Upvote 0
My S5 G900FD does not have TD40 2300MHZ band. I tried flashing Firmware of 9008W which is having band 40 but odin fails to flash. Flashing G900MD Baseband includes the MD bands but shows not supported in the Service mode menu even after changing the NV values at 06828 and 06929. Can I flash modem of G900I which is a single SIM Rom containing Band40.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Raja Rao :)

The, "Duos", model of Galaxy S5, G900FD, does not have the modem hardware that you require and will not accept the Canadian, Brazilian or Australasian firmwares, successfully, that you are attempting to flash.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6272&idPhone2=6033

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. But I have flashed modem of 900MD and it shows added bands of MD in the Service Menu, but says not supported. Many have flashed MD ROM on to FD successfully. Therefore flashing a variant modem should not be a problem. I may be missing something else to enable those bands of MD. Does it require to flash CSC also. If yes what is the CSC file name contained in the ROM.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. But I have flashed modem of 900MD and it shows added bands of MD in the Service Menu, but says not supported. Many have flashed MD ROM on to FD successfully. Therefore flashing a variant modem should not be a problem. I may be missing something else to enable those bands of MD. Does it require to flash CSC also. If yes what is the CSC file name contained in the ROM.

Perhaps you should try posting your problem in the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum as they may be able to offer a different insight into your issue.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is the forum I need to be on but, is there an app you can download for Wi-Fi andstill be able to receive messages from your regular phone number? And also is there an app to see who has called you when you don't have service in case you miss an important call and they don't leave a voicemail?

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 41 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 6 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2 and Android 5.1.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under Firmware... PDA, CSC and Baseband, versions as well as your Product code under the CSC CODE heading.

#3. Also helpful would be your carrier, (service provider), location, (UK, India, Russia, USA, etc: ), and if your phone is rooted or not and running a custom ROM, (give details).

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

(TIP If you are a poster it is a good idea to mention your model number and firmware version in case this has a bearing on your problem.

Better still, if you have 25+ posts to your name, you can go to the black bar at the top of this forum and click on your
Username, which will show a drop down menu. Just select, "Signature", and you can enter in the signature box the details of your phone, i.e. - "Galaxy S5 G900F".This ensures that your device details are shown in every post you make. You can update this as often as you like and will help other users immediately identify your phone and firmware.)

Upvote 0
Great post ironass, I just wish I'd seen it 2 days ago before rooting my S5!! I've been successful thus far with no issues and am enjoying the experience. (Running with CWM, Dark matters theme, Nova launcher running Whicons…looks really good!)

My issue is this… I didn't think to note all the original build info etc before rooting, is there a way I can return to factory without this very specific info? I did a full backup to Kies before doing anything, but I'm guessing this is now irrelevant. I also did a nandroid immediately after the initial root.

I haven't used this phone for nearly one year because the screen was broken, ad I'm not 100% sure what it was running before rooting… after the root is showed kitkat 4.4.2, but I'm fairly certain it was on lollipop beforehand.

Not much help I know.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Great post ironass, I just wish I'd seen it 2 days ago before rooting my S5!! I've been successful thus far with no issues and am enjoying the experience. (Running with CWM, Dark matters theme, Nova launcher running Whicons…looks really good!)

My issue is this… I didn't think to note all the original build info etc before rooting, is there a way I can return to factory without this very specific info? I did a full backup to Kies before doing anything, but I'm guessing this is now irrelevant. I also did a nandroid immediately after the initial root.

I haven't used this phone for nearly one year because the screen was broken, ad I'm not 100% sure what it was running before rooting… after the root is showed kitkat 4.4.2, but I'm fairly certain it was on lollipop beforehand.

Not much help I know.

Cheers.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums field_2_fork :)

I can try for an educated guess if you can answer the following...

Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have?

Which country are you in?

Which carrier are you with and was your firmware carrier branded?

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums field_2_fork :)

I can try for an educated guess if you can answer the following...

Which model of Galaxy S5 do you have? SM-G900W8

Which country are you in? Canada

Which carrier are you with and was your firmware carrier branded? Telus, and I'm not sure what is meant by branded.

SEE NEXT POST, more info added.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also have another GS5 that I've been using for the last year, since I broke the first one. (I've now rooted the first one and am starting to use it since fixing the screen a few days ago).

The specs on my second phone are as follows…
Model: SM-G900W8
Android version 5.0
baseband version g900w8vlu1boc1
kernel 3.4.0-4100894
build LRX21T.G900W8VLU1BOC

firmware
AP;G900W8VLU1BOC1
CP:G900W8VLU1BOC1
CSC:G900W8OYA1BOC1

This phone is bone stock, same carrier etc, if that helps.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones