• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Hello ironass, i found your posts very interesting and was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I've a Galaxy S5 SM-G900H bought in the middle east and using it in ireland. The phone is carrier unlocked as i've had 3 different carrier sims. My newest network has 4G but there is no LTE option on the phone, so my question is can i flash a european model firmware and enable 4G? Screenshots to follow... Thank you

Upvote 0
Screenshot_2016-02-06-18-55-33.png Screenshot_2016-02-06-17-46-31.png

Upvote 0
Hello ironass, i found your posts very interesting and was wondering if you could answer a question for me. I've a Galaxy S5 SM-G900H bought in the middle east and using it in ireland. The phone is carrier unlocked as i've had 3 different carrier sims. My newest network has 4G but there is no LTE option on the phone, so my question is can i flash a european model firmware and enable 4G? Screenshots to follow... Thank you

No.

The G900H octa core model does not possess the hardware for 4G/LTE. See, #1.3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am sorry to ask this I cant find anything on there for a Marshmallow rom for Att s5 After flashing Twisted lollipop my about device reads model# sm-G900T was 900a getting conflicting info on cm13 If you have a Donate link I will be glad to contribute for your work Thanks Harry

I thought you had the T-Mobile, G900T, carrier minority variant. CM13, Marshmallow is not available for the AT&T model, G900A, because it cannot have a custom recovery, such as TWRP, because of AT&T's locked down bootloader. Custom ROMs for the AT&T model are few and far between as they now, do not permit rooting... so no point in developing ROMs.

Try checking out... Android development for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5

Upvote 0
I thought you had the T-Mobile, G900T, carrier minority variant. CM13, Marshmallow is not available for the AT&T model, G900A, because it cannot have a custom recovery, such as TWRP, because of AT&T's locked down bootloader. Custom ROMs for the AT&T model are few and far between as they now, do not permit rooting... so no point in developing ROMs.

Try checking out... Android development for the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 5
Thank You

Upvote 0
Hello,

I recently got a G900W8 & a G900H

I'm looking to install the same ROM - rooted & unbranded on both (5.1.1). It appears that both are the same hardward.

1) Is this possible?
2) Is there a recommended ROM? I would be primarily using US AT&T GSM sim on both.
3) It is my assumption that I would trip KNOX on both as I would need to load TWRP - is this correct?

Thanks much for the help.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I recently got a G900W8 & a G900H

I'm looking to install the same ROM - rooted & unbranded on both (5.1.1). It appears that both are the same hardward.

1) Is this possible?
2) Is there a recommended ROM? I would be primarily using US AT&T GSM sim on both.
3) It is my assumption that I would trip KNOX on both as I would need to load TWRP - is this correct?

Thanks much for the help.

Nothing has changed since my earlier reply to your query in the rooting part of the forum.

The G900W8 is a Canadian regional, 4G/LTE, model and the G900H is a non 4G/LTE model. Their firmwares are not compatible. Both will work on AT&T although the, "H", variant will obviously not work on 4G/LTE.

TWRP is the preferred custom recovery for Lollipop and Knox will still be tripped unless you can locate a pre-rooted ROM for your models of phone that specifies otherwise.

For details of rooting and ROMs, see my earlier reply in the rooting section of the Galaxy S5 forum

Upvote 0
Straight Talk appears to be selling the SM-G900M variant stateside. That's what I got from them when I purchased one last week. It runs off GSM via AT&T towers.

My SM-900M on Straight Talk was pushed Marshmallow 6.0.1 today. I was very surprised none of my previous phone on Straight Talk received OS updates.

Is this "Android Security Patch Level" something new? Are they going to be pushing minor updates similar to antivirus software?

2016-04-09 02.47.33.png

Upvote 0
Hello,

I got my Samsung GS-5 (SM-G600R6) and have my phone service through a regional company called "NorthwestCell". As far as I can tell, this company is reselling the Verizon network (at least, when I compare the NorthwestCell and Verizon coverage maps, they are identical)...

Anyway, here is the info from my phone:

Model number: SM-G900R6
Hardware Revision: G900R6.05
Bootloader Version: G900R6WWU2BOH1
PDA Version: G900R6WWU2BOH1
CSC Version: G900R6LRA2BOH1
Baseband Version: G900R6WWU2BOH1
Latest Firmware: Yes
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-4219092 dpi@SWHD4014 #1 32-bit
Java Virtual Machine: ART 2.1.0
Mobile Operator: NorthwestCell / 310120 / 310000

Here's my question. I see on this forum that the Verizon versions of the Samsung Galaxy S5 have the bootloader locked down, so rooting the handset and/or installing custom ROMs, etc. is next to impossible.

Is that also the case with my handset--is it locked down like the Verizon version?

Are there any resources for this version of the S5, or am I "on my own" -- doing things at my own risk, without the benefit of as much help, etc.???

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
Hello,

I got my Samsung GS-5 (SM-G600R6) and have my phone service through a regional company called "NorthwestCell". As far as I can tell, this company is reselling the Verizon network (at least, when I compare the NorthwestCell and Verizon coverage maps, they are identical)...

Anyway, here is the info from my phone:

Model number: SM-G900R6
Hardware Revision: G900R6.05
Bootloader Version: G900R6WWU2BOH1
PDA Version: G900R6WWU2BOH1
CSC Version: G900R6LRA2BOH1
Baseband Version: G900R6WWU2BOH1
Latest Firmware: Yes
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-4219092 dpi@SWHD4014 #1 32-bit
Java Virtual Machine: ART 2.1.0
Mobile Operator: NorthwestCell / 310120 / 310000

Here's my question. I see on this forum that the Verizon versions of the Samsung Galaxy S5 have the bootloader locked down, so rooting the handset and/or installing custom ROMs, etc. is next to impossible.

Is that also the case with my handset--is it locked down like the Verizon version?

Are there any resources for this version of the S5, or am I "on my own" -- doing things at my own risk, without the benefit of as much help, etc.???

Thank you for your help!

The U.S. model of Galaxy S5, G900R6, on firmware G900R6WWU2BOH1 can be rooted using chainfire's CF-Auto-Root kernel and by following the instructions in [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root

If you have any further queries or require assistance, you can post in the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum, where you will find other rooted users.

Reactions: ODGeek
Upvote 0
Great post. May I ask, what is the deal with screen module compatibility?

I have a Galaxy S5 SM-G900A with a broken screen module. When I tried to buy a replacement, some sellers told me that not all screen modules are compatible with all s5 phone models.

Is it there a compatibility chart for screen modules? I can´t find anything online.

Upvote 0
Great post. May I ask, what is the deal with screen module compatibility?

I have a Galaxy S5 SM-G900A with a broken screen module. When I tried to buy a replacement, some sellers told me that not all screen modules are compatible with all s5 phone models.

Is it there a compatibility chart for screen modules? I can´t find anything online.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Eltorrencito :)

It is not unknown for carrier minority variants to differ on their hardware specifications. See, Gorilla Glass 3 not on all Galaxy S4's!!! for instance.

My advice is to stick to a G900A model replacement. I do not know of any compatibility list.

Upvote 0
I have a galaxy s5 5.1.1 rooted
What I don't understand is:
Must I flash the original 'Carriers based firmware' if I no longer use the carrier, and will be switching to some other carrier? I want to be rid of this branded firmware.

#1.1. Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
Think again!

E&OE This guide is written solely for, and on behalf of, Android Forums and may not be reproduced, in part or whole, without permission.

Upvote 0
I have a galaxy s5 5.1.1 rooted
What I don't understand is:
Must I flash the original 'Carriers based firmware' if I no longer use the carrier, and will be switching to some other carrier? I want to be rid of this branded firmware.

If you are rooted, then flashing any stock Samsung firmware will unroot you. There is no need, other than warranty or OTA updates, to flash your original firmware.

If you have any further queries or require assistance, you can post in the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum, where you will find other rooted users.

Upvote 0
Woah. So fast. Thanks!
It seems that my display module was broken because the battery started to get bloated and the pushing did quite a number on the display. Colors seem like "hotter" (when you select "hot" color scheme in your tv), darker and with some artifacts typical of an old CRT monitor. When I lift the module a bit, color reverts back to normal.

Anyways, I could see that the module name is AMS510CV01, so that should help narrowing the search?

(and thanks again!)

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Eltorrencito :)

It is not unknown for carrier minority variants to differ on their hardware specifications. See, Gorilla Glass 3 not on all Galaxy S4's!!! for instance.

My advice is to stick to a G900A model replacement. I do not know of any compatibility list.

Upvote 0
If you are rooted, then flashing any stock Samsung firmware will unroot you. There is no need, other than warranty or OTA updates, to flash your original firmware.

I think I may need to flash it because I cannot 'forget' the network.

Upvote 0
Hi, Firstly thanks for this incredibly helpful page!
now my questions: I'm looking to get a Galaxy S5 and based on my reading here and other research, I think that the model and spec I would want to go for are as follows-
Sm-G900FD for dual sim. Unlocked.
Android 5.1.1 or 6.0.1
2gb ram, 16gb storage,
Quad core
4g and LTE enabled.
I live in the Middle East but would also be using it in the uk. I've checked on willmyphonework and it seems that my local sim provider can carry everything ok. So is that combination of spec available and where should I look to purchase it (will be buying in the uk).
Thanks again for your input!

Upvote 0
Hi, Firstly thanks for this incredibly helpful page!
now my questions: I'm looking to get a Galaxy S5 and based on my reading here and other research, I think that the model and spec I would want to go for are as follows-
Sm-G900FD for dual sim. Unlocked.
Android 5.1.1 or 6.0.1
2gb ram, 16gb storage,
Quad core
4g and LTE enabled.
I live in the Middle East but would also be using it in the uk. I've checked on willmyphonework and it seems that my local sim provider can carry everything ok. So is that combination of spec available and where should I look to purchase it (will be buying in the uk).
Thanks again for your input!

Hello and welcome to Android Forums GLearner :)

You may be able to purchase the Samsung Galaxy S5 Duos, G900FD, locally as it is not marketed in the U.K. Other than that, try the web. Here are just some I found...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-s5-G900FD-black/dp/B00NFC8DZY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...LTE-Black-16GB-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-/151395399549

http://www.expeditelectronics.com/s...4g-16gb-gold-sm-g900fd-sim-free-unlocked.html

Upvote 0
Currently have a S5 G900A with at&t but going to straight talk and wanting to get another S5 since mine wony update past android 5.0 and is 2 years old. I live in the United States. Should i purchase the G900A again or is there a better version that works in North America? Looking to purchase a unlocked one via amazon.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums claytonMillay :)

Personally, if I were going for a Galaxy S5 model for use on Straight Talk, I would opt for the Latin America model, G900M. This runs on unbranded stock Samsung firmware and is updated directly by Samsung. It also has the advantage of being rootable, unlike the AT&T model, which means that you could run future custom ROMs for, say, Android N.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums claytonMillay :)

Personally, if I were going for a Galaxy S5 model for use on Straight Talk, I would opt for the Latin America model, G900M. This runs on unbranded stock Samsung firmware and is updated directly by Samsung. It also has the advantage of being rootable, unlike the AT&T model, which means that you could run future custom ROMs for, say, Android N.

I thought that would be my best option after reading tons of post on here and i also went to willmyphonework and it didnt show the solid blue check marks but looked like a winner. Thanks for getting back to me so soon. Being the latin american model wont effect anything since im using it in the continental united states will it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones