• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

47g2 55g2 thread

dispatch00

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
Hey guys,

I didn't see any threads/posts about the LG Google TV sets (the 47g2 and the 55g2).

I just picked one up and although it's nice, I'm going to return it.

Dealbreakers:

1. The included QWERTY Magic Remote is a radio remote, meaning it cannot be used to control a soundbar with infrared. This means you can either a) use the TV speakers which are crappy or b) use a amplifier/receiver which can be controlled with the included IR blasters (I wanted a soundbar so I didn't have the huge receiver and speaker issue in the first place!) I even called LG to confirm and they said they cannot make the remote output IR.

2. I don't have cable (GASP!) nor do I have an OTA antenna hooked up. Each time the TV starts it pops up a wizard asking me to connect a video source. ANNOYING and there is no way to turn it off. Really not good for the wife (or any non-techie) trying simply to operate the TV.

3. Boot time. Takes 30 seconds to a minute before you can even reach the Google interface or ANY application. In the mean time you are shown the TV source (in my case, not having one, it shows the LG/Google TV logo).

4. Start up application. You can tell the TV to start a particular app upon start up (sounded useful for me since I don't have a TV input). However, it is buggy and usually changes itself back to the TV input for startup (and then presents issue #2 all over again).

5. General bugginess. Examples:
a. Playing Pandora, then hit the home button. Music stops because it wants to play the TV sound (EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TV INPUT!)
b. AirTight (which works fine on my friends Logitech) crashes and reboots the TV 75% of the time I try to use it
c. others I will add as I remember/think of them

I wanted to post this because there are SO few actual reviews of actual use of this TV. I'd also be happy to answer any questions.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones