• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 4ext tutorial?

Is there such a thing on this forum? Just recently rooted w/ S-on and would like to know the best method for ROM flashing. It sounds like 4ext will let you do this and Nandroid back ups w/o a computer and Fastboot. Is this correct? Did a search, but couldn't find comprehensive info and the 4ext site is not specific on how to use it . Any feedback appreciated for an Evo V 3d 4G user.
Thanks.

Edit: Did find some info on XDA, but still want to make sure I can use this w/o usb to computer. BTW I'm on stock rom w/Mirage kernel.

If I've understood the question properly, then yes, 4EXT is one of the best and most easy to use recoveries, and you shouldn't need to connect to a pc.
I'd recommend getting the RC app from the Play Store (it's a paid app however) as it makes managing nandroid backups and updating the recovery much easier. You can also add theming and use the app to boot into recovery if you wish.
Installing a new rom is as easy as a full wipe and then finding and flashing your chosen .zip

Upvote 0
If I've understood the question properly, then yes, 4EXT is one of the best and most easy to use recoveries, and you shouldn't need to connect to a pc.
I'd recommend getting the RC app from the Play Store (it's a paid app however) as it makes managing nandroid backups and updating the recovery much easier. You can also add theming and use the app to boot into recovery if you wish.
Installing a new rom is as easy as a full wipe and then finding and flashing your chosen .zip

This. And also note that since you are S-ON you will only be able to flash stock based roms like Harmonia and such

If you want to flash Angry Bean or any other roms, you'd need to get S-Off.

And to make your experience even better you can follow the guide to turn your VM Evo V into a Sprint Evo 3D :)

Upvote 0
Paid app is nice, but optional. At the very least, to properly set up 4ext, go to their website here: 4EXT Development

Download and install the free app. The app will flash recovery for you. Open the app, grant it superuser permission then choose Online|Install

Make sure to say yes when it asks you if you are s-on. This will enable smartflash (the feature that will allow you to flash without a pc while s-on).

Choose a version (newest) from the list, and it will download and flash in about 30 seconds. From then on out, just access recovery to flash roms, etc. And as goshjosh mentioned, only stock based ICS roms for now!
http://4ext.net/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones