1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

4G/3G/2G Toggle?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by asuprice, Feb 4, 2011.

1. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

I currently have a captivate which can only be in 3G mode(or 2g if there isn't 3g available) Does the Inspire have the option to toggle down to 2G or 3G to save battery life?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. I believe it might, older HTC phones had the 3G/2G toggle

3. lacoste_rocker

lacoste_rocker Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing but I am sure it will be able too.

4. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

The aria doesn't have that option either. Att is bad about screwing up the android system. Can anyone confirm this with a screenshot? It would b great to know.

5. The aria doesnt in the power toggles??

6. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

Nope. AT&T disabled that option on the aria. I don't know why though. On my iPhones and blackberries I always switched it to 2g when I was at work due to such a poor 3G signal and it really helps with battery life

7. well if this option isnt available on the inspire which i cant see. You can always download beautiful widgets they have those toggles

8. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

Beautiful widgets toggle didn't work on my captivate. Has anyone been able to confirm this yet?

9. they work on my captivate

10. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

So with the beautiful widgets you can force your phone into edge? Do you have an AT&T captivate or Canadian one?

I haven't rooted my phone or anything. IS that why I can't get that option?

11. no its an AT&T cap and it worked before I rooted it sounds like your phone has something wrong, alas it wont be here much longer :)

12. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

My question has been answered by @HTCSource I asked
    @HTCSource How long did you end up getting out of the inspire and what kind of use did you put it through? Can it be forced to 3G or 2g?

@phillip_price on average, the inspire has been lasting me 10 to 12 hours with moderate to heavy usage. No option to switch between 2G/3G

Very disappointing for me to hear that, and pair it with the new 4G plans, I may stick with my captivate longer than I thought.

13. Man that stinks. For me its not a deal breaker but you it seemed important

14. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

I only can get an edge signal at work, so it was very important for me. Oh well. I'll hold off on the 4G phones till that is fixed. Maybe I'll just change jobs instead and still get it:p

15. Well if that's all.you can get that shouldn't mess with your battery then

16. asuprice

asuprice Newbie

If I'm near a window it will barely get 3G so if goes back and forth all day long. My time without signal at work on my Captivate is always over 50% because it wants to be on 3G

17. neolobster

neolobster Lurker

There is an option hidden away to toggle WCDMA or GSM-only.

Tap "Phone"
    Type: *#*#4636#*#*
    The "Testing" menu should open.
    Tap "Phone Information"
    scroll down to "Set preferred network type" and select GSM only for 2G operation. Selecting "WCDMA Only" will not allow a 2G connection.

18. Four-Fifty-X

Four-Fifty-X Newbie

Using Any Cut I was able to access a few hidden screens. On both screens I changed from CDMA preferred to GSM Only. The changes stick on the screens, but they have no effect or operation of the phone. That is, regardless of the setting, the phone stays in 4g mode.

19. bob01000

bob01000 Newbie

On T-mobile or AT&T this works:
    settings-wireless&network-mobile networks-network mode-Now choose GSM ONLY! I did speed tests and it's dumped into 2G mode for SURE.

Give it 10 seconds and it cycles to what it call 'G" mode but it check my email fine and the battery last longer.

Can someone add this to an app or widget? I'd buy it! It's pain to go through the manual steps.