• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G, 3G, Wifi Map Viewer

I wanted to post about this application in the Android Market.

I read about it the other day and I think it would be a very useful application.
Especially for those of us who have 4G Phones.

The Application in the Market is called: 4G, CDMA, GSM, Wifi Map Viewer.
You can find it by just searching "4G Map".

A little about what it does and how it works.

Users who install this on their phones will transmit data from their phone to Sensorly's server. (The people who made this app.) The data includes what kind of Coverage you had (example: 4G, 3G, Wifi, etc.) and how strong of a signal it was.

When you are viewing this application you see Google Map's and your position on the Map via GPS. When you view that map you will see certain shades of Color telling you what kind of Coverage you can/should expect in a certain area.

For example if you live in lets say New York there is a good chance many people are already using this application and have sent information back to the server. You are out looking for a Wifi Connection: You can bring up the Wifi Coverage map and it will show you areas where you can obtain a Wifi signal.

Or in my Case I would like to know where the 4G Coverage is so I can open my map and hope to see some 4G while I am out and about.

Now the downside to this program as I found out last night me living in a pretty small town their has been no one around here who has used this application before. When I opened it up I have zero coverage of any kind showing up on my maps.

So for now it will be up to me to plot the area coverage around this town.

I brought this up because I don't want someone to open this program and see no coverage and think "WTF is going on?!? The app is broke!".
The application is fine, no one in your area has plotted the area yet.

Another downside is it seems that the data takes about a day for the server to plot and send back to your application on the phone.

So currently I do not have a screen shot to show you of my own.
Here is the website if you want to find out a little bit more info:
Home | Sensorly

You can see screen shots n such here.

I found that I can see the coverage that I mapped within 5 minutes. There were a couple of roads where I live that were not covered. As I was driving I could see that the app was running. If you go into settings you can see how much data still needs to be uploaded. Once it hits 0, it should only be a few minutes before it shows on your map.

It is a great tool to map where 4g begins and ends. Unfortunately for me, 4g ends about 2 miles from my house in Cleveland. Hopefully they lite the tower by me so I can enjoy 4g goodness. Any day now!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones