1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 4G antenna boost

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kirok1999, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kirok1999

kirok1999 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    I'm on the outskirts of a 4G area and can get a decent signal when it's cloudy or at night, probably due to cloud reflection and denser, cooler night air. I also notice that the orientation of the phone changes the signal too. I tether, so a 4G signal helps a lot.

I found an exploded view of the TB on a VZW forum which shows the 4g antenna is above the camera on the inside of the battery cover. I noticed there are 2 tiny holes that lead to the antenna from the outside of the cover. HTC put those there by design and I'm thinking if I found a Yagi and a way to wire it in (right gauge and length), I might get a more consistent signal.

Anyone have ideas about wiring something in? How would the 4G antenna physically receive a signal? The Yagi is cheap but $300 or so for an amp seems a bit much.

Advertisement

2. Funderbolt

Funderbolt Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
  3. dmc27

dmc27 Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    kirok1999: You and I are in the same boat my friend. I'm in a 4G coverage area, but my signal is very weak. Better signal at night or with the window open (which I can't do now that it's getting cold).

I have a Pantech UML290 modem which I use for home internet. With the Pantech, I use a Wilson panel antenna with good results. Really boosted my 4G speeds and connectivity.

However, with the TB, there's no external antenna port for 4G.

So far I've tried the following:

(1) Using a Wilson SignalBoost DT. This is an amplified system for 3G and CDMA, not for LTE. It uses an outdoor antenna connected through an amp to an indoor repeater antenna. This setup did not help my 4G reception in any way. Couldn't even lock on to 4G. Not surprising since the system wasn't designed for LTE frequencies, but I thought it might help even a little bit. Does good on 3G though.

(2) Using a passive omnidirectional LTE trucker antenna from Cyfre connected to an induction adapter (velcro patch antenna). This setup was a total fail--it actually reduced my reception. I tried different locations for both ends. No go. I think it needs an amp since there's too much loss due to the 10 ft cable; or, maybe the antenna just needs to be directional rather than omni.

(3) Using a VHF/UHF antenna connected through a TV cable amplifier to an indoor VHF/UHF antenna. I was trying to create something similar to the Wilson setup. Since the LTE frequencies used to be the upper UHF channels, I thought this setup might work. Unfortunately, it was a total fail. No change at all in reception. Too many points of potential failure with this approach to even guess why it failed. But, hey, for $30, it was worth a shot.

I've also tried various reflectors without success. The only thing that seems to work is placing the TB higher and closer to the window (or opening the window).

One of these days, I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase the LTE amplifier. But, as you've mentioned, it's right at that price point that's just a bit too expensive to justify!

Perhaps someone with an extra case can try the mod you mentioned. Given that the Wilson antenna (with no amp) really helped my Pantech, I'm confident that an external antenna can boost the TB's 4G reception. We just need a way to connect it.

4. silverbow

silverbow Lurker
    None

Jul 8, 2011
    what about antenna port under kickstand?

5. dmc27

dmc27 Newbie
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    I was under the impression that the antenna port under the kickstand is for voice only. I also fear that using that port might damage the internal antenna (which has happened on other phones and USB modems). Would be nice if that port worked though... wish there were a safe way to confirm.