1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 4G going in and out while not moving.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MickMac35, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MickMac35

MickMac35 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Bristol, PA
    Anyone else having this problem?

Noticed that my 4g goes in and out at a rate of like every 5 minutes while having a 2 bar signal. Not sure if it is a defective SIM card or my coverage area.

Advertisement

2. exmeaguy

exmeaguy Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Male
    Cranberry Twp, PA
    Go back to the Verizon store and they will replace your SIM card. Mine was replaced today. They have had a bad batch of cards, which they acknowledged.

3. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm noticing the same thing. Does that mean bad sim card? How do you know you're just not on a fringe 4g area?

4. exmeaguy

exmeaguy Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Male
    Cranberry Twp, PA
    I don't think it's going to solve every problem. It's a good free first step process of elimination. I do think that Verizon still has some problems in the network.

5. nkd

nkd Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    its not the sim cards, they might have had a bad batch. same thing happens to me within one mile radius of my house, probably a little less. It works perfect at school and in the sourrounding areas. At my house for some reason and little less then a mile around it. I get constant drop in 4g signal. It sucks since I am suppose to be in the dead center of 4g coverage. Drove around in the sorrounding areas and never lost signal or had any data problems.

There is a 8 page thread at androidcentral.com and lot of people having this issue even though they are in 4g areas. I guess Black Panda was right about them screwing up and shifting all teams to ramp up the 3g network to impress Steve Jobs for his iphone 4 launch. Now they are having issues with 4g network.

6. MickMac35

MickMac35 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Bristol, PA

Will they give you a SIM card replacement in the store if you bought it online? I called customer service and they were trying to give me a new phone via insurance claim.

7. MickMac35

MickMac35 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Bristol, PA

I just find it odd that I have 2 bars of 4G and it goes in and out. I can understand if I was down to 1 bar and I am losing it. Sometimes I even have 3 bars. There are times when I have the signal for an extended period of time, perhaps like 15 minutes.

8. MickMac35

MickMac35 Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Bristol, PA
    *update*

Looks like it is the network. Been at work for a few hours now, which is 5 minutes from my house, and the 4G hasn't dropped yet.

9. foster729

foster729 Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I've had this problem- I got my Thunderbolt last night, and things would be fine after turning it on. Then, 5-10 minutes later, the 4G/3G icon at the top would disappear, I would only have about 3 out of the 4 bars, and so all of my connections (browser, GChat, mail, etc) would not work at all, and wouldn't reconnect unless I would turn the phone off and back on. Also, I live in the middle of Washington, DC, and shouldn't have connectivity issues.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate this! It's my first Android, and I'm already getting pretty frustrated. Thanks in advance!!!

10. burban

burban Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    I to am having this problem except my drops to 3g, 1x, to no data. 1 mile away it works great! Woke up this morning and had no data and couldn't get any data signal till I got about a mile from my house. On top of that the coverage map shows I have dark red 4g coverage not the extended LTE!

Called Verizon and all they wanted to do was reset my phone. Called my local business rep and they were going to send a tech out to the area I am having issues. They all say I should have 4g coverage. Havent' heard anything yet.

11. dequardo

dequardo Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    If you folks switch to 3G manually does the problem go away?

12. boblobla

boblobla Newbie
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Yes the problem goes away. At least in my case :)