• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G in Greenville, SC! Will it reach me?

Just heard Verizon announce that they will launch LTE in Greenville, SC on June 16th. I live just a few miles outside of the Greenville area and was wondering how much do they generally cover when they launch a new area.

Do they activate the towers only in the greater metro area or can I expect to see the entire county getting coverage? I've been so excited about this launch, I would pretty upset if the coverage stopped half a mile shy of my house.

I also get pretty bad 3G reception inside my house because I live in sort of a valley and am directly centered between 3 towers, at the edge of each of their respective coverages. If those towers were to receive 4G, doesn't the LTE frequency travel just a little further?

I'm a still baffled by the fact Raleigh the state capital still does not have 4g except at the airport. Supposedly according to Verizon it has been turned on for brief periods and tested. Well if it did not fail just turn it on!

Was in Charlotte and was loving the 4G so not trying to steal your thunder so to say, but just missing the speeds.

Upvote 0
I'm a still baffled by the fact Raleigh the state capital still does not have 4g except at the airport. Supposedly according to Verizon it has been turned on for brief periods and tested. Well if it did not fail just turn it on!

Was in Charlotte and was loving the 4G so not trying to steal your thunder so to say, but just missing the speeds.

Charlotte is bigger and we landed the Democratic National Convention. At least you know it is on the horizon, there are plenty of places where there isn't 4G and no plans for it on Verizon's road map

Upvote 0

I had 4g in Raleigh about a week and a half ago for 1 afternoon. I lost it on the way home, and when I went to work the next day, it was back to 3g. I had it all the way from near North Hills to Knightdale before losing it. I lost it on I-540 just past Knightdale.

Upvote 0
I live in Charlotte and work in Mooresville which is about 30 miles North. I get 4G everywhere in Mooresville except my office haha. Not that I care that much becuase I'm always connected to wireless while I'm here but it's nice to know that Charlotte's 4G network extends so far outside of the city limits.

I am actually surprised by the fact that Raleigh does not have 4G yet either. Wilmington and Fayetteville have just picked it up but Raleigh has been left out...for now at least.

Upvote 0
I had 4g in Raleigh about a week and a half ago for 1 afternoon. I lost it on the way home, and when I went to work the next day, it was back to 3g. I had it all the way from near North Hills to Knightdale before losing it. I lost it on I-540 just past Knightdale.

When I picked up my Tbolt the Verizon rep said they were testing it off and on for the final turn on sometime in June or July. I know RDU has it currently, but RDU is a bit far from work for me to hang out there all day.

@yeahha I am glad it is on the horizon, and I understand why Charlotte got it first, but Fayetteville before Raleigh? Come on... Oh wait military base never mind. Can't argue with that either.

I actually have my 4g searching turned off currently, via the LTE OnOff app, to save battery life. It boosted the Tbolt battery to an extra 3+ hours.

So hopefully they will have this going sooner than planned, which was mid-July.

Upvote 0
While in Travelers Rest this morning I turned on 4g to check and connected to 4g. Not sure if they are testing or if it is on early but it is working for me in the Furman area. When i visited my daughter in Fort Mill I had 4g service from the Charlotte area so it seems to spread out pretty far. Speed tests here in Greenville are slower than tests I ran in Charlotte.

Upvote 0
While in Travelers Rest this morning I turned on 4g to check and connected to 4g. Not sure if they are testing or if it is on early but it is working for me in the Furman area. When i visited my daughter in Fort Mill I had 4g service from the Charlotte area so it seems to spread out pretty far. Speed tests here in Greenville are slower than tests I ran in Charlotte.
It's been on since Monday 3 am:D

Upvote 0
It does get slower as you go farther away, here in Spartanburg I'm getting between 15-25 up and 4-5 down.

wow, that is impressive!! either way, i am happy just to be getting it this far away, and it is still a lot better than the 750 kbps down and 550 kbps up i was averaging on 3g.

also, i just ran it a few more times and although download is still about the same, upload is now averaging 4.25 mbps.

Upvote 0
I finally got to play with 4g while I was waiting with my fiancee at RDU before she had to head through security on her way to Stockholm. God it was sweet. I need moar 4g's nows!!! At the airrport which was rather busy I was getting 21 down and 5.5 up. I was downloading and uploading like a mad man.

But then I had to go outside and leave the airport and 2 miles away lost the 4g and was back to 3g. Sigh...

Upvote 0
Uhh.. so off topic and really random:

I'm going to be flying into GSP on Friday around noon and driving by Greenville on the way down to Columbia. What's a good place to eat for lunch? Based off of yelp, I'm considering between:

Henry's Smokehouse
Coffee Underground (I'll probably stop here anyway for a little liquid pick-me-up for the drive)
Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe

Any other suggestions?

Now just so that it's not totally off topic:

I can't wait to see how other 4G markets compare to what we have here in NJ being covered by the Philly and NYC umbrellas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones