• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G Inside Signal Tip

buckhorn24

Nov 2, 2009
I generally keep it on 3G to conserve the battery and when I get into my massive office building each day the signals at 1 bar or 1x at my desk with .2mb download speeds. But I noticed the last few days when I have it on 4G and go into the building, it stays at 4G and I'm getting 8-10mb downloads. But if I'm on 3G and turn on 4G in the building, it stays at 1 bar 3G. That was a great discovery, works great now as long as I keep it plugged in.

I generally keep it on 3G to conserve the battery and when I get into my massive office building each day the signals at 1 bar or 1x at my desk with .2mb download speeds. But I noticed the last few days when I have it on 4G and go into the building, it stays at 4G and I'm getting 8-10mb downloads. But if I'm on 3G and turn on 4G in the building, it stays at 1 bar 3G. That was a great discovery, works great now as long as I keep it plugged in.

Nice find thanks :)

Upvote 0
I've seen the same.

In my office the GNex occasionally will stay connected to 4G if I have it in 4G when I come into the building. Most times it will switch to 3G and occasionally pick it back up, but if I try to do a speed test or something, it will usually go back to 3G, or worse, be stuck in limbo and have no data at all.

If I switch to 4G once I'm in the building, it will pretty much never pick it up.

This is the only place where I miss the Rezound, because it could hold LTE in my office have speeds around 5-8 Mbps while the Nexus is in 3G with speeds around 300-500 Kbps

The good thing is I don't really need data on my phone at work, but I have to leave my phone on the charger at work because otherwise it will lose about 50% in an 8 hour day just sitting on the desk.

Upvote 0

Unfortunately, I tried this particular trick when I had my Nexus and at least in the couple of buildings I tried, I couldn't get a 4G signal even if I toggled it on before or after I was inside. :( I very well may have had a Nexus with a poorer radio than others, though, so who knows. Good find though, hopefully it'll help some folks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones