1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 4G issues? Verizon claiming IMEI #s wrong from the factory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TxGoat, Mar 24, 2011.

1. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I went to Verizon wireless today because my phone's 4G was acting spotty at best, giving me different cities for my Weather and location services. The guy behind the counter suggested that it may be an issue with the SIM card. He went into the back room and a tech told him that another issue was that early production Thunderbolts had transposed IMEI numbers entered in the hardware that didn't match the software/system. So I got a swapped out phone and was told that my phone would be labeled DOA. If anyone else is experiencing some goofy 4G or even location services issues, you may want to go to where you purchased your phone and see if there are some issues with your IMEI number.

Oh and I've lost my apps that I had downloaded but the guys at Verizon claim that I would be able to re-download them once I signed into Google. So far no dice, am I doing something wrong or should I be doing something else?

Advertisement

2. Knowitall

Knowitall Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Texas
    I had the same problem wherein I am located in Fort Worth, Texas but the phone would always display my location and time-zone as somewhere in New York in the weather app, on the map, and in any other location services for the first two days I had it. I changed the location multiple times where I could and finally rebooted the phone twice and it self-corrected. It now shows my location correctly in all apps. The time zone is correct as well. All is good.

3. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

You may go to a Verizon store to see if the IMEI #s match. Mine would resolve itself for a while, but then a few days later I'd get weird locations on my screen telling me I was in Ross (35 degrees there that one night when it was really 67 locally).

4. Drew66

Drew66 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Go into your applications settings and clear the data / cache for the market then go back to Google Market. That's what worked for me after rooting.

5. Airsmith

Airsmith Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    I'm in ft worth as well and have the same issue. I'm also in a blanket of 4g and have yet to see it. Does the whole 3G, 1x, no data thing over and over. Had the phone replaced at BB, same issues. Running out of ideas...

6. robrecht

robrecht Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Senior Manager, Scientific Communications (pharmac
    While driving through New Jersey, I went through a town in South America, at least it sounded like South America to me.

How does one check these IMEI numbers? Do you have to go to a Verizon store?

7. Knowitall

Knowitall Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Texas
    Well, on "Settings">"About Phone">"Phone Identity" the IMEI shown there matches the IMEI shown on the proof of purchase barcode on the side of the box, and the "SIM Card Id" shown there matches that one the 'credit card' the SIM card came in.

Oh, and BTW, the bar code sticker on the side of the box covers up a different one underneath (though I can't see if the data is any different) and there's a green dot sticker halfway sandwiched between them supporting the theory that the phones had something done to them (software update?) before release.

fastharryDOTcom likes this.
  8. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

Might have been a phone that was QCed when they found out that they were having issues. I'm still showing "ROSS" as my location, but so far I'm still getting 3G service at home (and 4G at work), so we'll see what else could be causing my phone to display different areas nowhere near my actual location.

Oh and the guy at the Verizon store claimed that 1 set of numbers had a transposed IMEI number but he wasn't too specific about it, just entered the phone into his system and then told me it needed to be replaced.

9. dlt123me

dlt123me Well-Known Member
    None

Man, wouldn't you know it... I just pulled the trigger 5 minutes ago and bought a TB off Verizon's website. Hope they send me a newer version rather than what you're referring to here...

We'll see... I have laugh though... I anguished for days whether to pull the trigger... Decided to do so, then found your post after leaving the VZN website... and the TB will be my FIRST Droid phone. Go figure. :rolleyes: :eek:

Dennis

10. dlt123me

dlt123me Well-Known Member
    None

Question... Is this a problem that could be fixed with a software ROM?

Dennis

11. Silent Thunder

Silent Thunder Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    I had this issue once where the Weather was showing I was in some strange town, once I refreshed it never happened again.

12. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    semi retired....
    NJ, USA

Tagged, and a thanks to Knowitall...

13. medic552

medic552 Newbie
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    SWAT Paramedic
    PA
    I had a similair issue and this is what Verizon told me. IN fact I had the worst experience ever in getting my T-Bolt up and running. Device was order on a different line that was eligible for upgrade. Received it on Wed. Tried to activate it and could not. Was told that I needed a new sim card because the Sim card is programmed to the phone that was eligible for the upgrade. Told that they could ship one but it would be 4-5 days and would not overnight. No Problem still had my droid for business. They said "you can visit a store and have it done imeediately." Closest VZW authorized coprporate store over an hour away so I take the day off out of the office and off I go. Arrive at the store and the Manager tells me that I cannot order on a different line and have the phone activated. She tells me that what I am doing is "illegal". I am a SWAT Paramedic and the account is a Government account so I contact my Government Rep and he is like let me talk to this Manager. After abbout 5 minutes of her stuttering on the phone she apologizes and states she will take care of this immediately. SHe programs a new sim card put s it in the phone and my droid deactivates. She says your phone should ne active in about 10 minutes and we part are ways. As I am leaving she says "by the way VZW is having outages and problems with the network and 4G so your phone may not activate for up to an hour. So I ask her why you didnt tell me this prior to deactivating my droid. Its a work day and I am expecting some important calls ? She says I can reactivate your droid but you will have to come back when the problem is resolved but it shouldnt be longer than an hour. So I leave. Drive home and 28 hours later the phone activates. Dont get me wrong the T-Bolt appears so far to be an awesome phone. I have taken the battery saving tips and tomorrow will test it fully as I have been chrging it from time to time the past two days. I contacted VZW business and had my ticket upgraded and actually spoke with someone that seemed to be straight up with me. He told me that VZW is having 4G outages and they are working on it but dont know when it will be fixed. He told me that many peoiple are having location problems etc... even if they are not in a 4G area that is the nature of the beast for how the phone is designed. HE told me to expect a lengthy activation and that they would forward my calls until the phone activates. He was a great help but what an experience. Since it has been activated I have had no REAL Problems.

One question I have and it should probably be in another forum is I get notifications for work to one email address for "Emergencies" does anyone know of a program that will allow me toset a ringtone to this address only that when something comes in Im sure to be notified. A different ring tone then all other email addresses.

Good Luck everyone !