• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G LTE Ann Arbor Michigan!!!!

pakman134

Apr 28, 2010
Just got my Thunderbolt today... I was considering making a drive out to Detroit to test the 4g speeds, because they hadn't yet expanded to Ann Arbor... About ten minutes ago my phone just connected to Verizon's 4g LTE network!

Did Verizon expand their 4g network to Ann arbor? I was even able to run a speedtest using Speedtest's app from the market and got 25752 kbps download and 25121 kpbs upload. Still not believing it, I went to play a few videos and they buffered/downloaded almost instantaneously.

Now the bad news... On my second video, it kicked me off 4g and back on 3g... I wonder if they just flipped on the switch to activate Ann Arbor's 4g network for a few seconds then turned it back off or what? I literally live right next to U of M, so there is no way I was picking up signals from Detroit... Anyone else in Ann Arbor experience this?

It will most likely switch like that if you are just out of 4G signal range.

I think I am a little further than "just out of 4g signal range" according to Verizon's coverage map. I live less than 1 mile south of University of Michigan Ann Arbor Campus. Also the signal was very strong according to the bars on my phone.

.... Just happened again!!! but this time only for a minute or so. I wish there was a way we turn off 3g and force 4g to look further into this.

ARGH!! I've been checking my phone every 5 minutes hoping it would come back again. I got a taste of Verizon's 4g network for less than a few minutes and all it did was leave me wanting it more. Dang, well hopefully this was a good sign of things to come, and hopefully very soon.

Upvote 0
I have mentioned it in a few other threads. The bars are not the data signal quality, I talked to a few tech reps and they all had the same answer, the bars are the radio signal for voice calls. I live in the middle of 4g connection and if I ever loose 4g signal I still have like all 4 bars, and yet I have no 4g.

Upvote 0
I have a question and i dont know if you guys can answer but its worth a shot. So im going to be moving to Virginia after i graduate in about a month and a half. I will be about 20 minutes from D.C., will i get the 4g coverage from there, or is it too far?

chances are you will. They will call their coverage as a major metropolitan area, mine is LA, but its like the whole county to be honest, lol. If I check 4g coverage map its all around be within like 40-50 miles. Some dead zones, but all is well.

Best thing to do is enter address or something of where you are going to move or a phantom address of anywhere in the city where you are planning to move and you will get the coverage map.

Upvote 0
Yea, quite happy. I'm down near State St and Packard and 4G looks like its finally here to stay! Not this sporadic 4g signal that I got for 5 minutes on release day and never came back.

I did notice as i walk around campus it still switches out to 3g every once in a while.

Now to experience the battery drain everyone on here seems to be talking about! I think it'll be well worth it for the speeds though =p

Upvote 0
This thread just about sold me on the TBolt :D

Can some one please provide the link to the VZW 4G website map (I know it is not updated with the most current 4G locations but I would still be nice to see it anyway)

Just go to the verizon site and type in coverage map or something like that i nthe search box. When you find it look right under the map and change it from 3g or whatever is selected and choose 4g or LTE.

Reactions: jj3699
Upvote 0
I was just on Liberty Street downtown all day Tuesday...no LTE for me.
WiFi all over the place, I was over at a burger joint @burger all day.
Check it out...cool place.

I was hoping to see some LTE goodness but didn't...but I'm pretty sure they, along with 3 other MI areas are supposed to get it turned on soon (Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint and Ann Arbor.)

Upvote 0
I was just on Liberty Street downtown all day Tuesday...no LTE for me.
WiFi all over the place, I was over at a burger joint @burger all day.
Check it out...cool place.

I was hoping to see some LTE goodness but didn't...but I'm pretty sure they, along with 3 other MI areas are supposed to get it turned on soon (Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint and Ann Arbor.)

I'm only seeing 3G today...yesterday must have been just a test.

Upvote 0
Well...hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to Verizon's site, for 2011 the areas that will be getting it are:
Lansing
Grand Rapids
Flint
Saginaw

That being said, with the huge Google presence in that area, I wouldn't be surprised if they got bumped up.

Verizon for whatever reason lumped Ann Arbor in with Detroit. 4G in Ann Arbor by the end of June (most likely sooner).

Upvote 0
I think Verizon has tested or switched more areas to 4g LTE in the past couple of days. I'm in Raleigh, NC and yesterday afternoon my phone was connected to 4g LTE for the first time since I got it on release day. I live on the outskirts and lost 4g about 3/4 of the way home from work. This morning, when I got back to work, I no longer have 4g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones