1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General 4G LTE speed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Egidio, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    Well, I can finally see AT&T's 4G LTE speeds in Austin. We were added to the list of cities. I just ran a speed test and saw my download speed as 6737 kbps (HSDPA network). Is that a reasonable 4G LTE speed?

Advertisement

2. JessMulholland

None

Dec 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    From my experience with speed testing my 4G, I would definitely say that is right around average! Hope you're enjoying those faster speeds.

3. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Jess. Someone else on another forum said the Infuse is not capable of taking advantage of LTE speeds. I thought the phone was ready for it. Now I wonder...

4. Ryanscool

Ryanscool Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    School
    Colorado
    LOL it is not capable. But, since you are in a city where there is lte, everyone wants phones with lte so there will be few people on the hspa network. This then allows you to get pretty high speeds.

Egidio likes this.
  5. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    I have yet to see or hear about an at&t 4g device (hspa+) reach higher then 9mbps.

6. tCizzler

tCizzler Member
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    EET
    America

^^^ What he said... The Infuse is not capable of LTE speeds, i feel tricked by AT&Ts 4G hspa+(FauxG). Your network is probably just freed up a little as most are probably on the LTE network. I have never seen or used AT&Ts LTE network but i read from trustworthy sources that when the network was brand new and only a few people on it, speeds were on average 50Mb, with a one time max of 65Mb. But now that there are more people on it, it seems to average about 15-20Mb. Which is pretty pathetic, because Verizon has millions of customers on LTE (WAY more than AT&T) and they are also getting 15-20Mb download speeds. Which is why i plan on jumping ship from AT&T to Verizon when i get my tax return. And i've been with AT&T for 8 years now. But i'm sick of the slow and shoddy their network is, and i'm paying more than my Verizon buddies... PHEW end of rant. Sorry and thank you :)

7. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    I only keep AT&T because it's convenient for us to have 2 networks at home: Spring and AT&T. When we travel and go into smaller cities, Sprint is always there and available, whereas my AT&T phone is dead. On the other hand, at home my AT&T signal is far superior than Sprint's. Go figure!

8. andyinmichigan

None

Sep 24, 2011
    so there are some of you that didn't know h+ isn't LTE? anything faster thgan 3G is pretty much allowed to be called 4G. the infuse was never marketed as an LTE device either. H+ speeds are pretty reasonable for most activities though.

also, technically LTE isn't true 4g either but it is pretty zippy for sure.

9. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    As discussed in another thread, there is really not a standard for 4G speeds. Each carrier markets its fast speeds as whatever they want to call as "4G."