1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

4G pricing in a 3G market?

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by RPW27607, Feb 23, 2011.

1. RPW27607

RPW27607 Lurker

So I am desperately awaiting the arrival of the HTC Thunderbolt and had a question about plan pricing?

I am currently eligible for an upgrade from my crappy Blackberry and have unlimtied data for $29.99mo. I just upgraded my wife to the Verizon Iphone4 and did not have to change her data plan at all(yes I know its 3G)

My big question is , we do not have 4G active yet in my area, Raleigh, NC, so if they do release the Thunderbolt to my area this week, next week(yes I read all the delay rumors on this forum already) would I be forced to swicth my plan to some sort of tiered 4G data rates?

Advertisement

2. Ageguy

Ageguy Member

from what i have heard as long as you have a 4G device you will get charged for the 4G data. i dont think there is anyway around that. but again this is only what i have heard and im not sure if verizon has put out an official statement yet.

RPW27607 likes this.
  3. domdepo

domdepo Newbie

How much is 3g compared to 4g?

4. najaboy

najaboy Android Enthusiast

Indications right now are that, for the time being, 4G isn't going to tack on additional cost. For a current example, look to the 4G Mobile Broadband plans. They are priced exactly the same as 3G plans.

5. Lars

Lars Android Expert

Id rather have unlmited 3g than capped 4g you really can't use.

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

If they follow Sprin't lead, they will charge extra for 4G whether you're in a coverage area or not.

Just because you live in an area without it doesn't mean you can't travel to an area with it, in which case you'll be using 4G and not paying for it.

7. najaboy

najaboy Android Enthusiast

Tentatively, it doesn't seem as if they'll be following Sprint's lead. Not, at least, until the rollout is closer to complete.