1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

4g speed on verizon with tethering on DROID and Flash 10 Rumor

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tsuagd02, Dec 23, 2009.

1. destrekor

destrekor Newbie
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    I don't think anyone needs to worry about LTE phones until well past Summer 2010. I honestly don't expect any LTE phones until the end of 2010 at the earliest. Depending on Verizon's investment and development speed, they might have some pockets of LTE coverage around the country midway into next year, but the only devices with LTE radios will be cards/USB devices for laptops and probably some netbooks with it built in. From what I've read, they haven't made any power-friendly small cell radios as of yet, so we won't see LTE phones anywhere in the world for awhile.

Advertisement

2. vikingisson

vikingisson Android Expert
    None

bingo. ;)

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    4G/LTE Won't be deployed until the end of next year, and that is only in select metro areas, it should be widespread by mid 2011/early2012 IF everything goes according to plan.

4. abc

abc Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    I got my hopes up when reading the subject line and then I read the post, oh well. The only reason for me to change phones is when LTE enabled phones are released. Other than that, the likely incremental changes (including Snapdragon) aren't worthwhile enough to upgrade. I want that LTE connection for video streaming on the go on my phone and notebook.

So much for hoping Motorola pulling an Apple like when they enabled 802.11n capabilities on their older MacBooks by charging $1.99 for the firmware upgrade.

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    Except it's not something that can be changed via a firmware update. It literally needs different components to use the LTE standard, as in you need to take the phone apart and buy a LTE radio then somehow install it, all of which is semi impossible unless you have done something like this before.

6. Legacystar

Legacystar Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Whats so great about snapdragon really? Who needs a 1ghz processor on a phone. the droid is already fast enough and so far i haven't seen anything really put a challenge to it. Most studering and lag is software based anways and not a fault of the hardware.

7. vincentp

vincentp Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    Nothing is "so great" about Snapdragon. Most of them are underclocked to save battery and the real world performance is not noticeably greater than that of the Droid's processor. I'm willing to bet a Snapdragon phone with 2.1 and a Droid with 2.1 next to each other would operate almost identically.

8. Legacystar

Legacystar Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Oh yah definately, but people are creaming themselves over this 1ghz BS. I'll give it to them, it's a good sales gimmick lol

9. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Austin, Texas

This. 4G takes 4G hardware. The Droid is not 4G.

Plus, who wants to tether a phone for their primary internet connection at home? Sounds like a PITA to me. I would love to have the option while traveling, but would prefer an always-on solution for the house, like cable, DSL or FIOS.

10. abc

abc Lurker
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Didn't my statement already assume what you said by saying they won't be pulling an Apple?

I used the Apple analogy because they included 802.11n in their MacBooks but had it disabled. The subject line for this thread made me hope that it was a similar case but it ended up that someone got confused with what he/she heard.

11. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Real Estate Agent
    M A dub'l dolla sign
    My bad, guess I misunderstood you.

12. UnsureSherlock

None

Dec 13, 2009
    Boston
    I gotta say, I would never use the browser and be on the phone at the same time. It wastes minutes when you could just call the person back. Obviously there are extenuating circumstances, but I really haven't come across a moment when I absolutely needed to do both at the same time.

Oh, and on a side note, concerning Sprint.
    Sprint claims to have the fastest network, which may or may not be true. Unfortunately, I had Sprint for 3 years and just switched to Verizon when I purchased the droid. Sprint was TERRIBLE in terms of reliability. Not just my house either, places that were listed on their coverage map to have the best signal. The connection constantly dropped off, so I had to reload the browser on my phone (multiple phones, Palm centro, Moto Q), reset data connections, reset PDAnet.

So yes, Sprint may be faster, but like AT&T, it's spotty coverage at best.

13. craigrn16

craigrn16 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    where did you hear that? No where in the specs for the Droid did I here it came with a 4G antena.

14. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Some people may want to use "tethering", via a cellular router, as a "redundant circuit"...especially if they work from home. It would be cheaper than FIOS + Comcast.

15. famac!

famac! Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009

LOL!! This is too funny. Well, you heard the man. Your 3G droid will magically start delivering LTE speeds in the near future....:rolleyes::rolleyes: