• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g status goes away with wifi enabled.

ulao

Apr 25, 2011
I'm trying to figure out why my 4g indicator goes out with wifi connected. If I have a 4g signal and then enable wifi, the "4g" goes a way. I still get full signal but it does not indicate its 4g. The phone does not support wifi calling, so if that is it, maybe that is why. Incidentally the cell signal is crap at this point. I do not get any usable service. To use my cell service I have to turn off wifi.

I'm trying to figure out why my 4g indicator goes out with wifi connected. If I have a 4g signal and then enable wifi, the "4g" goes a way. I still get full signal but it does not indicate its 4g. The phone does not support wifi calling, so if that is it, maybe that is why. Incidentally the cell signal is crap at this point. I do not get any usable service. To use my cell service I have to turn off wifi.
4g does not refer to cellular signal. it refers to your connection to the internet. so when you are on wifi, yes 4G will turn off. how is the cell service when you are not on wifi where you are at? is it the same when wifi is on?

Upvote 0
wow, nm, this helped..
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xiaomi-mi-a3-trying-to-turn-on-wifi-calling-with-att.3978341/
maybe wifi calling was trying to work, not sure but this trick (after a few reboots) not only fixed the issue but forced my phone to do wifi calling and it works.

"4g does not refer to cellular signal."
Wow please explain this to me, 4g.3g.2g are not data cell speeds? How can this have anything to do with wifi? I get that it is the data portion of the cell service but are you saying the two can not exist at the some time? If so I guess that does make sense.

after my fix, instead of removing 4g it says HD.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
wow, nm, this helped..
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/xiaomi-mi-a3-trying-to-turn-on-wifi-calling-with-att.3978341/
maybe wifi calling was trying to work, not sure but this trick (after a few reboots) not only fixed the issue but forced my phone to do wifi calling and it works.

"4g does not refer to cellular signal."
Wow please explain this to me, 4g.3g.2g are not data cell speeds? How can this have anything to do with wifi? I get that it is the data portion of the cell service but are you saying the two can not exist at the some time? If so I guess that does make sense.

after my fix, instead of removing 4g it says HD.
there is cellular and then there are mobile networks which refers to the internet. 2G, 3G, 4G and now 5G all refer to internet. it has nothing to do with your cell reception. you can be on 4G or 5G and have no cell signal. my house and cell signal was never that great when i was on Sprint. but i then bought a phone with wifi calling and all was good as far as making phone calls.

Upvote 0
Your phone uses one of two ways for online access, either WiFi or cellular. They are both wireless signals but are two completely different types of wireless connectivity.
-- WiFi signals are relatively weak with an effective range of a few hundred feet or so. Your home router emits the WiFi signal for your home network. Your router is connected to your ISP's modem and the modem is what is indirectly connected to the Internet. WiFi is often identified as 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, both being direct references to the bandwidth frequency each on occupies (i.e. channel 11 in 2.4GHz is 2462 megahertz, channel 1 is 2412 megahertz)
-- Cellular signals are pretty robust and have a coverage range of a few miles. They are emitted by cellular towers/cellular access points scattered everywhere. All of those are fed their signals by nation-wide cellular networks, and those are indirectly connected to the Internet. Cellular can be differentiated by progression levels -- 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE, 5G -- a marketing abbreviation for 2nd Generation, 3rd Generation, etc.

Some people mistakenly merge both together since both are wireless and oddly because there's a common letter G in those identifiers but in reality they are two very different types of wireless connectivity. If you do prefer to consider both the same, that makes your problems with online connectivity a lot harder to fix.
In your instance, there's not really a problem. It's a just a typical way smartphones work -- when your phone is receiving both a good WiFi and a good cellular signal, the preference is to prioritize WiFi over cellular. Just disable WiFi or disable mobile data in accordance to what your need. (disabling mobile data doesn't cut off cellular connectivity, it just stops any active data exchanging over cellular. A very low bandwidth cellular connection still remains so you still can receive and send phone calls, and SMS texts.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones