• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 4g test areas

youdoofus

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2011
so dak
Okay, so I live in a non 4g area, but a fellow evo-ite tried convincing me that 4g works. B4 when I would turn the radio on it would eternally say scanning... but today it connected earlier when I tried it with no connectivity, it wont now, but now im confused. I know vzw launched 4g here in Sioux falls, SD yesterday but I can't imagine that cross-mojination between the sim card based lte could even happen. Does anyone have any info on where the test areas are? I called and of course I got nowhere with that. I searched the neterwebz to no avail. Any ideas?

update... i called a sprint store, talked to a manager, no dice. I also called best buy(with which whom I've had decent luck getting the real scoop on the real poop, but I also realize that there are some folks that work there that are chromosome deficient) I got it to say "connected" again, but 0 data transfer... man, i wish that fellow evo user woulda never told me this lil tidbit.... now my ocd mind is just racing!! GRRRRRR LoL

Upvote 0
Okay, so I live in a non 4g area, but a fellow evo-ite tried convincing me that 4g works. B4 when I would turn the radio on it would eternally say scanning... but today it connected earlier when I tried it with no connectivity, it wont now, but now im confused. I know vzw launched 4g here in Sioux falls, SD yesterday but I can't imagine that cross-mojination between the sim card based lte could even happen. Does anyone have any info on where the test areas are? I called and of course I got nowhere with that. I searched the neterwebz to no avail. Any ideas?

Verizon's launch has nothing to with Sprint's as Verizon is on an LTE network and Sprint currently uses a WiMax network for 4G.

I have the same thing happen here, it's outrageous. The other day, I was sitting in the car, on Facebook using 4G when all the sudden I get a notification on the web browser "no web connection" then I come to find out that my 4G went completely blank. I moved like an inch, LITERALLY!!! an inch and lost all of my 4G bars and service. It happens to me all the time here in Los Angeles, California. I move and completely lose the signal.

Upvote 0
Verizon's launch has nothing to with Sprint's as Verizon is on an LTE network and Sprint currently uses a WiMax network for 4G.

I have the same thing happen here, it's outrageous. The other day, I was sitting in the car, on Facebook using 4G when all the sudden I get a notification on the web browser "no web connection" then I come to find out that my 4G went completely blank. I moved like an inch, LITERALLY!!! an inch and lost all of my 4G bars and service. It happens to me all the time here in Los Angeles, California. I move and completely lose the signal.

Yeah man, thats how it is here. I'm in Terre Haute,IN...(about 45min south of Indianapolis) And I get a 4g signal in the parking lot at my work, but I have the hold the phone at a certain angle. And If I move from this one spot I completely lose the signal.

Obviously I want to have a good enough 4g signal that I can use it somewhere else besides in the parking lot at work. But Ill just have to wait like everyone else...

Upvote 0

yeah, i know they have nothing to do with eachother. Theyre inherantly different, lte is sim card based, 4g is cdma.... so its like gas and diesel... UGH!!! I cant figure out what the dilly here is:(

Upvote 0
yeah, i know they have nothing to do with eachother. Theyre inherantly different, lte is sim card based, 4g is cdma.... so its like gas and diesel... UGH!!! I cant figure out what the dilly here is:(

Not to get off topic, but LTE and WiMax are two different types of 4G and both can work on either GSM (SIMs) or CDMA (Sprint (CDMA) has Boost Mobile and Nextel which each also use SIMs but on a network known as iDEN which is different than GSM and CDMA) networks. AT&T, Verizon, Metro PCS, and T-Mobile offer 4G via LTE while Sprint uses WiMax which is basically a large wifi network. LTE is more of a traditional cell phone network and can go through walls unlike WiMax. lol sorry to get off topic, just wanted to clarify hahaha

The "dilly" is that these companies wanted to push 4G out to us so quickly that they didn't plan thoroughly enough before announcing. They really should've built the networks and hardware for the networks then announced the 4G service and offered phones for it. But they decided to rush it out and let us be the guinea pigs...ironically though, we pay to be beta testers of this 4G service and to make it feel better, they've put the $10 charge on anyone with new smartphones.

Upvote 0
Not to get off topic, but LTE and WiMax are two different types of 4G and both can work on either GSM (SIMs) or CDMA (Sprint (CDMA) has Boost Mobile and Nextel which each also use SIMs but on a network known as iDEN which is different than GSM and CDMA) networks. AT&T, Verizon, Metro PCS, and T-Mobile offer 4G via LTE while Sprint uses WiMax which is basically a large wifi network. LTE is more of a traditional cell phone network and can go through walls unlike WiMax. lol sorry to get off topic, just wanted to clarify hahaha

The "dilly" is that these companies wanted to push 4G out to us so quickly that they didn't plan thoroughly enough before announcing. They really should've built the networks and hardware for the networks then announced the 4G service and offered phones for it. But they decided to rush it out and let us be the guinea pigs...ironically though, we pay to be beta testers of this 4G service and to make it feel better, they've put the $10 charge on anyone with new smartphones.

i know theryre different animals, hence the refrence in the OP :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones