• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G Tower Range???

I've been searching for a thread like this and thanks to everyone who has been involved. From a site whose URL I can't recall, I found I live .7 miles from 3 identified Clear 4G antennas but live at the edge of a bubble of non 4G (per the sprint maps) and there is by maybe 2 tenths of a mile between my house and the closest identified 4G. Hoping that there is some slop in the coverage maps or maybe these Clear antennas might not be on or fully deployed.

Lots of trees here, the terrain is mildly hilly but in winter I know I could see 2 of these 3 antenna locations (water tower and 9 story building) from my roof :)

So close yet so far....
if you looked up the wimax tower locations it was probably through the towerco site...those dont show all of the wimax towers out there so there could be more around you. as far as that coverage gap, it could be an area where sprint hasnt tested the coverage

Reactions: jmcging
Upvote 0
This sucks because even though WiMax is coming to NYC i am about 25 mins away from there (north) which prob. translates into about 15-20mi away which means I will not get great 4g coverage either - (unless its ontop of the empire state building) than its a crap shoot lol ..

But whatever happened to the Walmart deal? Putting 4G on Walmart building tops which help me so much more with a local walmart being less than 5mi away!

Upvote 0
if you looked up the wimax tower locations it was probably through the towerco site...those dont show all of the wimax towers out there so there could be more around you. as far as that coverage gap, it could be an area where sprint hasnt tested the coverage

Yes, towerco was the site (pretty cool stuff, with the mapping and such) And here's to hoping you are right about the reality being better than the maps.

Won't keep me from buying the phone as I work in Baltimore in a clear 4G area, but having 4G at the house would be the best.....

Upvote 0
Yes, towerco was the site (pretty cool stuff, with the mapping and such) And here's to hoping you are right about the reality being better than the maps.

Won't keep me from buying the phone as I work in Baltimore in a clear 4G area, but having 4G at the house would be the best.....
u know whats cool about the baltimore and dc area is dc and bmore will be connected with 4g so it will be this huge area of 4g coverage. towerco is just a partner with sprint some they only operate some of the towers

Upvote 0
This sucks because even though WiMax is coming to NYC i am about 25 mins away from there (north) which prob. translates into about 15-20mi away which means I will not get great 4g coverage either - (unless its ontop of the empire state building) than its a crap shoot lol ..

But whatever happened to the Walmart deal? Putting 4G on Walmart building tops which help me so much more with a local walmart being less than 5mi away!
the buildout wont stop so it will eventually get there, like 3g did

Upvote 0
The total coverage depends on number of users, build out finish speed, and physical geography.

The build out can reach 20-30 miles. Usually if you live with in 30 miles of the build out you are covered. Usually.

One thing to remember. If your city is on the list to get wimax. It does not stop. Baltimore, Portland, Los Vegas, are all still being built and expanded.

So if you do not get it at first turn on, it could be only a few months later.

Looking at the 3g coverage. Anything in orange should be covered in the first round. Because the tower placement wimax is added on to 3g towers. So the area in orange should be covered.

But that is depend alot of things, but it is a good indicator.

I can not promise you it will, but more then likely it will.

Minneapolis_MN.gif

River can i please have that map for the Boston area and the Providence RI area? I live between both cities, Please and Thank you

Upvote 0
how can you search/find out what spring 4G towers are close to you/in your area? i'm just curious.

The only thing I can think of is just using the search and use the zoom out tool. I don't think it actually tells you where the towers are it only shows the coverage like so...

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3212/4gmap.png
San Jose, CA (unfortunately no 4G coverage I hope they plan on adding us to the list)

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5194/4gmap2.png
Las Vegas, NV (4G coverage in blue)

Upvote 0
For all you speculators heres the facts.Although some of your statements are correct alot of them are covered by that blanket of fog that is called speculation. 4g wimax has a peak of around 30 miles true, but in order to have that peak and perfect condition. You have to be in the LOS (line of sight). Which means no interference. No trees, no hills, nothing. The realistic extend of wimax is 1 to 3 miles with interference. And if your wondering this does include buildings. Thats why some 4g areas cannot get 4g inside houses even when they are in a 4g range. And like another one of you speculators stated its also dependent on the type of tower that they put up. The better the tower the better the range. So it will be highly unlikely that you get 4g at your house. If you are interested in getting 4g at your house. You should look at getting a wimax repeater.

Upvote 0
For all you speculators heres the facts.Although some of your statements are correct alot of them are covered by that blanket of fog that is called speculation. 4g wimax has a peak of around 30 miles true, but in order to have that peak and perfect condition. You have to be in the LOS (line of sight). Which means no interference. No trees, no hills, nothing. The realistic extend of wimax is 1 to 3 miles with interference. And if your wondering this does include buildings. Thats why some 4g areas cannot get 4g inside houses even when they are in a 4g range. And like another one of you speculators stated its also dependent on the type of tower that they put up. The better the tower the better the range. So it will be highly unlikely that you get 4g at your house. If you are interested in getting 4g at your house. You should look at getting a wimax repeater.

is LTE the same principle?

Upvote 0
I get 4G in my house no problem - full signal. I think I'm less than .5 mile from a tower though. The coverage extends to about 3 miles in all directions, and I live in a pretty wooded/obstacle-filled location. I get coverage all over Trenton out to about 5 miles west, but 0 coverage in downtown Princeton.

The towers in Elizabeth/Rahway NJ seem to have range that extends 5-10 miles depending on direction. I get signal all the way over to the Elizabeth port and down to about Exit 10 near the NJ Tpk.

Upvote 0
i see a lot of people take about the phone call its self most cell phone to my knowledge use both 2g and 3g/4g. 2g use for both texting and phone calls. you dont see 3g on a basic entry phone that does not browses the web very will with 4/3g. and for the single strength would be base on -dB like in my are the avg single for my 4g on sprint is about -80 dB witch is a good single for most things the highest it can go that i know of is about -115dB witch is pushing it for the single strength. Decibel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on dB. i know for a fact that cell compenys don't use phone calls on 3g/4g networks there is just now need for it. takes to much power and it to much over head, plus 2g was meant for phone calls and has been used for over 12 years now. even with better data transfer rates with 3g/4g witch use a lot more power then a 2g only phone with a phone that is 3g/4g you may be able to get about 12 to 10 hours of working time on it with normal use. with a 2g phone you are looking at about 20 to 30 hour of work time on normal use do the power demands for the lower single spacemen. from what have research over years of keeping up with new technolgys that are out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones