• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.0 lollipop discussion

Got Lollipop update on around Noon PT on Monday. Seems to be noticeably snappier in responding, have to get used to the new lockscreen notifications. So far, every app I've tried works without fail. Good impression thus far.

I see the lock screen notifications on my sons (the 2012) and I think they look hideous. I'll withhold final judgement until I get it on mine and actually use it.

Reactions: critcher
Upvote 0
I see the lock screen notifications on my sons (the 2012) and I think they look hideous. I'll withhold final judgement until I get it on mine and actually use it.

It is somewhat jarring for me, I much prefer a clean display, or at least the ability to choose what is put up. Do you know if there is a place that I can select what to put up on the lockscreen, or to disable the notifications?

Upvote 0
It is somewhat jarring for me, I much prefer a clean display, or at least the ability to choose what is put up. Do you know if there is a place that I can select what to put up on the lockscreen, or to disable the notifications?

Yes of course there is. You can decide which notifications go through on lock screen, which ones disturb you at all based on the importance of the notification. It is crazy customizable. This is the most polished android version I have ever seen. I've been in since cupcake, through donut, eclair, froyo, skipped gingerbread, had ice cream, jellybean, and KitKat. This is the the sleekest most intuitive design yet.

Upvote 0
Yes of course there is. You can decide which notifications go through on lock screen, which ones disturb you at all based on the importance of the notification. It is crazy customizable. This is the most polished android version I have ever seen. I've been in since cupcake, through donut, eclair, froyo, skipped gingerbread, had ice cream, jellybean, and KitKat. This is the the sleekest most intuitive design yet.

You can choose which apps notify on the lockscreen, but it will still be huge ugly white blocks. The other choice is no notifications on the lockscreen. Which IMO is the better choice.

I decided to install a lockscreen replacement app, only to find that Lollipop does not allow lock screen widgets. That's an epic fail as far as I'm concerned. Lollipop is not even as customisable as the version it replaced.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the notifications on the lock screen are annoying. And I also hate the fact that there is no reboot option.
There never was a reboot option. With root you can add a reboot option, same as KitKat.
And the lock screen notifications (to me anyways) seem way more secure. You can swipe them away, or open right to what is notifying you. Its android becoming a more secure operating system. I don't mind giving up certain customizing options in favor of security options. Just my opinion. And you can always change all that with root.
Displaying all of your info on lockscreen seemed like an insecure option in KitKat. But there are always changes that not everyone will like. Can't please everyone. Also remember some of those features may come back if they find a way to secure it better. Ya never know.

Reactions: TheAmazingDave
Upvote 0
Security is a good point.

How is it more secure?

I know you can decide which apps notify you and which don't, but those which do, do so by putting it in a big white box in the middle of the screen for anyone to read.

Am I missing something?
Yes. Lol. You can make it only notify which app is sending the notification. Not the actual information. You just change the privacy setting. Then you see that "x" app in notifying you, but you have to unlock to see what it is. So you would see that you have 3 emails, but no info about them.

Upvote 0
Previously (just yesterday for me and still today for the vast majority of android users), lockscreen notifications were simple icons on the status bar which you could swipe down to get more detail or go to the app.

Or you could install a widget to display what you wanted, or a lockscreen replacement, either of which allowed you to have your lockscreen exactly how you wanted it.

Now, these options have been removed. If you want notifications at all, they have to be huge and ugly. Nothing "sleek" about them.

I know I'll get used to it. I have done with my n5. But it amazes me that others see this as an improvement.

[/gripe]

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I agree. Ideally I like the notifications on my Moto X. Pre lock-screen. In my opinion they really screwed the pooch with 5.0 lock screen notifications. They are hideous and look like a slapped together at the last minute solution instead of an improvement on what was previously available.
Yeah, perhaps a drop down menu with notifications and other options would be ideal, along with an option to reboot the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones