1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

5.0 Lollipop thoughts.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Guggy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Guggy

Guggy Android Enthusiast

So, since the open source was released, Has anyone used it since release? And if not, what would you like to see in Lollipop 5.0. I expected to see a better call interface. But who knows, and a better built in browser.

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Source has been released, but only the Moto G and Moto X have received official updates so far.

I'm excited to receive it in the coming weeks/months though.

3. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

Just flashed on my N7 (2012). Flappy Android, anyone (tap the version number repeatedly then drag your finger across the lollipop that appears, then tap the screen and a horribly familiar scene starts (requires more tapping to play obviously) :eek: )

funkylogik and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

Chrome has undergone a major overhaul as has the rest of the Google apps and they all work tons better.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Was in the dev preview too ;)

palmtree5 likes this.
  6. palmtree5

Didn't know that lol

7. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Here I sit, disgruntled, as I wait for Google to decide that they do want to send out the update for Nexus 4.

8. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast

can't say i'm all that pleased with it on N7 2012. lots of stutter. moreso than on 4.4.4.

also the talk that we'd be able to uninstall bloat apparently does not pertain to google's own apps.

i do very much like the interface, and i'm hoping to see some battery benefit, but too early to tell on that.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Its referring to carrier loaded bloat. You can always disable preloaded apps...

Considering its a 2.5 year old device with nand memory issues I think it runs pretty well.

10. nickdalzell

The 2012 Nexus 7 wasn't meant to get 5.0. Any lag or problems are expected

11. boathead

perhaps, but i sort of thought the evolution of android was to less resource exhausting. and maybe i was just hoping for miracles.:)

i'm not lying though in saying my even older gnex, running 4.4.4 omni, with background processes limited to 2, runs far more smoothly.

i'm gonna swipe my daughters n7 2013 this weekend and give that a whirl.

12. nickdalzell

that may be true but the Dev preview was hacked to run on the 2012 7 and probably uses ported drivers and a different kernel to maintain compatibility which doesn't utilize the optimization found in stock 5.0

13. palmtree5

Yes but the 2012 7 has a factory image available directly from Google

14. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

KK and LP are optimized for lower resources.

They're not optimized for sh***y resources. No programming in the world can overcome bad NAND memory.

15. nickdalzell

I wasn't aware the 2012 Nexus 7 was getting Lollipop? Isn't it long past the 18 month support window? The Dev preview was only supported by the 2013 model. Only a custom ROM port made it possible to run it on the 2012

16. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

It is getting the update. Official. It's already available for wifi versions only.

Developer previews were only for Nexus 7(2013) and Nexus 5. However, the final product goes out to the 4, 5, 7(12+13), and the 10. Of those, only the 7(2013) and 5 are within 18 months. So Google IS doing a better job than they did last year. I just wish they'd hurry up and give it to the 4.

funkylogik likes this.
  17. nickdalzell

Just checked both my 7 and 10 and no dice.

18. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

It's a gradual roll-out. They do something like 1-2% of devices in the first 24 hours, check for error reports, push out another 25% of remaining devices, repeat, and the number increases until they've covered everybody. It might take a week or two. That's how they prevent bricking everybody's device at once(iOS 8.0.1, I'm looking at you). I think the check for updates button only works once a day, per the same Google engineer that shared the rollout process.

Is your Nexus 7 a Wi-Fi model or LTE model? They're only updating the WiFi tablets at this time. The 3G/LTE models will come later, probably at the same time as the 4.

funkylogik likes this.
  19. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

funkylogik likes this.
  20. boathead

a big part of my problem appears to be launchers. apex and google now launchers seem to be NOT playing nicely. the native launcher does fine.

you folks think that maybe some apps are not yet fine tuned for L?

21. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Certainly. It takes a while for app developers to do get on top of it.

I have Widgetlocker(haven't used it in over a year now though, lol). The developer has essentially abandoned the app, and it won't be optimized for Lollipop until March or April maybe.

22. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I just flashed the N7 2012 Wifi build. It seems like a nice improvement, so far.

It's much snappier, but how much lollipop contributed to that is debatable. Beforehand it was running a nightly cyanogen build, the dodgy NAND memory was fairly full and I had more background syncing apps installed. It was downright unusable.

Can't speak for apex or google now, but nova launcher seems to be coping fine.

funkylogik likes this.
  23. nickdalzell

Factory images are a no go since i am out of town for a week. i was hoping i'd get time to test it out before i left.

My Nexus 7 and 10 are both wifi-only.

My concern is the Nexus 10. i've regretted that purchase since day one, since hardly any games seem 'compatible' according to Google Play, and the KitKat 'upgrade' amounted to little more than Jelly Bean with white icons up top. no ART, no GEL, no transparent bars, etc.

I am anxious to see whether or not 5.0 changes that, hoping to justify the $499 i spent.

24. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I've read, probably on some comment on Reddit, that the Nexus 10 did not get the colored status bar.

25. nickdalzell

you mean that they still omitted transparency? what else? didn't some Custom ROM dev prove the myth of 'performance issues' moot long ago? You'd think Google would support their most powerful tablet by now :(

Anyone else know of anything left out of 5.0 other than that? being a 10" screen the bars being black make a lot of lost real-estate, so many apps have to 'shrink' to fit during load, making some distort. my Galaxy Note 10.1 has transparent bars, and i think is largely inferior on hardware spec or at least, the same as the Nexus 10?