• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.0 Lollipop thoughts.

Anybody used the "Tap and Go" yet? interested in how much of the "settings and data" it will transfer from existing apps. I have touchdown, nova launcher that can export settings. But many others don't have that option. Also, what about the WIFI access points and passwords transfer, that has been hit/miss in the past. Shame I can't root my droid turbo and use titanium to restore all on 4.4.4. Till 5 is released for the droid turbo, turbo sits not activated waiting for 5. :( My old rooted Galaxy S3 working fine..
I tested the touch and go when setting up my N7. It worked pretty well for setting up my Google account, transferring system settings, and installing apps. There are still very few apps that use the Google backup stuff though - unless the app explicitly stores its data with your Google account, it probably won't get restored.

To be entirely honest, I think I prefer the standard account setup. The improved version gives you much more control over what actually gets restored than the tap and go thing does.

You may also want to check out Helium (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup) for a non-root backup solution. I let Google reinstall all my apps, and then restored their data with Helium. Worked quite nicely.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
Sadly Helium doesn't work with Moto's. :(

The big plus to me is not having to go and manually "right click" install in web version of google play to install all my apps (about 70 of them)

I see more and more of my apps being upgraded to 5, hopefully that means they are implementing the google backup code in these upgrades.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
Sadly Helium doesn't work with Moto's. :(

The big plus to me is not having to go and manually "right click" install in web version of google play to install all my apps (about 70 of them)

I see more and more of my apps being upgraded to 5, hopefully that means they are implementing the google backup code in these upgrades.
Oh that's right, I had forgotten about the Moto incompatibility. :eek:

If you're mainly interested in restoring the applications themselves (as opposed to the applications AND their data) the default Android backup/restore will definitely take care of that for you. Once you set up a new device with your Google account (manually, the magic tap works a bit differently), you will be prompted for (1) which device to restore from, (2) which automatic backup to restore from (arranged by date), and (3) which apps to restore (all of them, or just specific ones that you choose). Your device will then start to automatically download and install the selected apps from the Play Store. The entire restore process is a lot more elegant than it used to be.

The magic tap (as I've taken to calling it) does pretty much the same thing but you don't get prompted for which apps to install - it just automatically installs all of them that are installed on the already-configured device.

Upvote 0
yes, mostly concerned about the apps customized settings.
your talking about using developer mode and USB to backup the old device and settings right?

Got a good link on how to do this. I seem to find alot of conflicting ways to do this.
That's actually a completely separate thing. If you look under Settings - Backup and Reset, there's an option to back up your apps and settings to Google. When you set up a new Android device, you get prompted to restore from that backup. That's what I'm talking about.

"Adb backup" is what you're talking about. It's a bit more involved. I can try to give you instructions on that later. Out grocery shopping now. :D

Upvote 0
I really like the new backup & restore. I only have one NFC device, and the device I was restoring from was the one I had just reset, so all it asked me for was the wifi password for the network I was on, and my google sign-in. Once I had those two things, it asked me which device to restore and let me choose my apps. It restored ALL of my other wifi passwords as well.

Upvote 0
I really like the new backup & restore. I only have one NFC device, and the device I was restoring from was the one I had just reset, so all it asked me for was the wifi password for the network I was on, and my google sign-in. Once I had those two things, it asked me which device to restore and let me choose my apps. It restored ALL of my other wifi passwords as well.

That's great news. How about your other app settings, how did those work out. Got anything like "Touchdown", or a 3rd party launcher such as Nova Launcher.

Oh, what about your ringtones and wall papers, any success with those?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Those I had to do myself. App settings were generally not restored, unless it was an app that you sign into. Once I signed into them, they would restore information.

Ringtones and wallpapers are up to you. I use Nova Launcher. You have to remember to create a backup to export. I forgot to do that so I had to set it up again.

It's not Android's job to sign you into every app you use. That's up to the developers to use the cloud services.

Upvote 0
Those I had to do myself. App settings were generally not restored, unless it was an app that you sign into. Once I signed into them, they would restore information.

Ringtones and wallpapers are up to you. I use Nova Launcher. You have to remember to create a backup to export. I forgot to do that so I had to set it up again.

It's not Android's job to sign you into every app you use. That's up to the developers to use the cloud services.

Thank you for your invaluable information about "Tap and Go". Not many apps I use require "sign in", so got to be prepared for those.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones