• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.1 audio channel?

sethman88

Jun 1, 2011
Abingdon VA
does the 5.1 channel in the music player really make that much of a difference because everything I plug my phone into it doesnt work for some reason, but my buddy had a stereo that specifically had a 5.1 and it sounded like the treble or something was turned up more and the bass down like more then low and it didnt seem to sound as good, I was wondering if it could be his stereo (kinda old) or thats just what 5.1 sounds like

Truthfully, 5.1 from the stereo output is kind of just a neat gimmick.

The only way this feature could possibly do something is if you actually started with a "matrixed" signal to begin with, meaning that a 5.1 signal was encoded down to two tracks; Left Total & Right Total (LTRT).

If you simply took the stereo output of your phone and plugged it into a Dolby-equipped 5.1 home theater setup, theoretically you should already hear something in every channel, even if the song you're listening to is stereo to begin with.

The way Dolby works is, if a sound is unique in the left channel, it will be panned to front left.
If a sound is unique in the right channel, it will be panned to front right.
If a sound is identical in the left and right channels, it will be panned to center.
If a sound is identical in the left and right channels but out of polarity from one-another, it will be panned to both surround speakers simultaneously.
Any and all frequencies from either channel below 120Hz will be panned to the subwoofer.

So, as you can gather, a Dolby home theater does everything on it's own.
Your phone cannot aid in this process. All the button does is phase-shift certain frequencies so that when listening to it in a stereo environment, it will "seem" like it's in 5.1, but it's really not.

The reason you perceived an increase of treble/bass would be because shifting phase actually causes additions and cancellations in frequency response. Plus the distance of the speakers from your head in any given environment will also greatly impact exactly which other frequencies are also affected.

p.s. - I'm an audio engineer. :D

Upvote 0
Part of that will be the player.
I have used a few and i liked the Power Amp player. It has an equilizer in it and that does make a big difference.
I play music in my truck and the stock player with no EQ sounds ok but Power AMP sounds a lot richer and the audio is definatley better..

Forgot to use quote. I was referring to this post, and others whom said sound was not that good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones