1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support 5.5.893 Update Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BamaPanic88, Jan 1, 2012.

1. BamaPanic88

BamaPanic88 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Hey guys, I've had the Bionic since release date and have it unrooted but have yet to receive the 5.5.893 update. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the fact that when I initially bought the phone the Verizon representative had trouble activating it so he switched the sd card which turned out to not even be the reason for the trouble with the activation but whatever.

Anyway, I still get the "check for update is not available at this time" message. I've been searching online and tried pretty much all the suggestions I ran across including unchecking the "only sync on wifi" in the social applications area (I can't remember exactly where it was located but it's never been checked to begin with so that's not my problem). I've gone to a Verizon store and the representative there was absolutely no help and seemed to not even be aware that there was an update released to everyone. I've contacted Motorola customer support and the two representatives I talked to pushed the update to me and said if I did not receive it in 48 hours that I probably need to factory reset but of course I really do not want to do that unless it's absolutely the last option.

Just recently I downloaded a leaked update file but I've had trouble figuring out how to actually apply it. I rebooted into the restore mode and selected apply update from sd card but the file does not show up so of course I may have saved it in an incorrect location but I've tried multiple locations and simply cannot figure out where I should be saving it.

Admittedly I'm not very tech savvy and sorry for the long rant but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. It's just been fairly frustrating, particularly with the fact that it's my first android phone and I've loved it up to this problem, even having encountered all of the minor bugs which this update is supposed to fix (switched from blackberry and am not a big apple person so did not want the iphone).

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can either apply this update that I've downloaded or to somehow get the update without having to do a factory reset? And on a side note, if I do a factory reset I realize that it will delete my apps and homescreen customization (which isn't too big of a deal to me) but does it also delete my contacts, pictures, etc. and, if so, is there an easy way to save them somewhere? Because, if I lose all my contact information a factory reset is not an option for me because I cannot lose all that again. TIA

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    At least four others who have been in your situation did a Factory Data Reset and it solved their problem.

Wiping the SD Card is an option when you do a Factory Data Reset.

Here's an experiment ... from my Bionic that never had the problem ... I always wondered if maybe an option was set wrong in those Bionics that failed and it was being reset to a default value by the Factory Data Reset and then worked.

If you want to give it a try ...

In ... Settings | Battery & data manager | Battery mode
    check Performance mode

In ... Settings | Battery & data manager | Data delivery
    check Background data
    check Data enabled

In ... Settings | Applications
    check Unknown sources

In ... Settings | Storage
    un-check Disable software install

Then do a soft reset ... hold down volume Up/volume Down/Power until a menu appears and then disappears. The Bionic will reboot.

Make sure you are not on a WiFi connection.

Try the test for update again.

Tell us the result.

... Thom

3. BamaPanic88

BamaPanic88 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it and only had to change the disable software install but got the same result. Also, I know this will be a dumb question but when you say that wiping the sd card is only an option, do you mean that data such as my contacts and pictures will be deleted only if I select the option to wipe the sd card? I just don't know what all is stored on the sd card vs. stored on the internal memory.

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Thanks for trying. I am out of ideas on what "obvious" solution there might be.

There is an internal SD card and an External SD card and a section of the internal SD card that you can not touch.

You can connect your Bionic to a PC with a USB cable and copy everything from the SD card and SD-Ext card to a backup location on the PC.

I have always found that the ideal thing is to start from scratch and re-install software from the distribution. This guarantees that you are not carrying forward a bug from the old environment to the new one.

In the process you will encounter some trash that you never bothered to delete. Now you can simply not install it and end up with a cleaner environment.

Android Market is very helpful in keeping track of Apps. You really only have to make copies of App distributions that you got outside of Android Market.

If you don't want to tittle with this stuff in the future then getting back to 5.5.893 and staying on the production path is the best approach.

If you want to exert control over the environment and tweak it and experiment with it then the leaks and/or root-ind with flashing new ROMs is the way to go. You are responsible. Motorola and Verizon provide no support.

You get to choose.

I am root-ed in my Droid X test machine and not root-ed in my Bionic production machine. I need the Bionic to ALWAYS be available and if it is root-ed and gets nailed by some error I make it won't be.

... Thom