• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5 Gay Teens commit suicide within a 3 week time frame. Do you give a damn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The notion of isolating one demographic, when we analyse any statistics highlighting deaths, whether it be suicide, traffic, housing fires, diseases or murders, is so useful as to be essential if we're to approach science and sociologists for solutions.

Are we to admonish blacks for asking questions and holding high their commitment to their community? Are we going to label them self righteous for making public their concerns, as some are labeling gays now for daring to isolate their demographic on the subject of suicides?

Some are trying too hard to look away from this, for some reason. They're flying under the banner of, "gays are too small a minority to be concerned with, look at all the straights committing suicide."

Please think about that beyond numbers. It's about different reasons for the suicides and those reasons being unique to the gay community. Is "straight bashing" popular in your city? I doubt very much that it is.

Upvote 0
some are trying too hard to look away from this, for some reason. They're flying under the banner of, "gays are too small a minority to be concerned with, look at all the straights committing suicide."

please think about that beyond numbers. It's about different reasons for the suicides and those reasons being unique to the gay community. Is "straight bashing" popular in your city? I doubt very much that it is.

Thank you Frisco! :) I find it funny that there are people who are trying to turn it around and asking why there are so many more straight people committing suicide. I'm sure they're not doing it simply because they're being bullied, abused, harassed for being who they are. I've NEVER EVER heard anyone being harassed because they're straight.

I feel that there are a lot of people out there who are trying to downplay it due to an underlying umm... dislike or hatred for homosexuals. I already know some people who have openly said that they despise homosexuals on this forum.

Upvote 0
if you are weak enough to think that suicide is a solution(for any reason), you do not need to live on this Earth.

i do not sympathize with anyone that wishes to kill themselves. i fully sympathize for their family and friends though. the suicidal individual never gave them a chance to help.

suicide is the most selfish thing anyone can do. good riddance to you.

Reactions: rdub53
Upvote 0
Killing yourself no matter what is just plain weakness. This is selfish self-inflicted tragedy. My wifes uncle is gay and the shit he endured he said made him stronger. Sad yeah, but this does not compare to 5 year old innocent children being killed in drive-by-shootings. You should e-mail this to my friend whose 4 year old daughter was killed by some stupid hunters stray bullet while she was visiting her grandparents. There is a thousand tragedies every day, I dont think i will lose to much sleep over peole who have a CHOICE to die.

+1 Suicide is the ultimate act of cowardice. I have no pity for anyone that commits suicide. If they have no will to live, then to hell with them; be they homo- or hetero-, male or female, black, white, brown or yellow.

The murder of a child (deliberate or accidental) is a million times more tragic than some whiny brat with no will to live

Upvote 0
...suicide is the most selfish thing anyone can do. good riddance to you.
Crap! What about the person who drives another to suicide? What about the person who feels that others around them would be better off without them?

I'm glad your life is so good that you'd never consider ending it.

Suicide is not a selfish act for many, many people; most are in incredibly difficult circumstances.

Upvote 0
Suicide is weakness pure and simple. It's done for attention "oh yeah, well I'll show the world"

Mariah Carey attempted suicide one time - why? It must be rough being that rich, talented and famous.... I feel so sorry for you. Or maybe her career was slumping off a little and nothing like getting some free press for a fake attempt....

the Rutgers situation is going to railroad the roommate and somehow try to place the blame of the other's guys weakness. When I first heard the story, the article read that 2 students were charged in gay students suicide. I was enraged.... but then I saw that they were only charged with invasion of privacy.... EXACTLY RIGHT.

They were guilty of being an asshole, which is depicted in the charges.... but trying to the gay kid's poor choices on him is ridiculous.

everyone is just assuming the kid took the chickenshit way out because he was filmed. Who knows, it may have been because the guy that he banged thought of him as a hit it and quit it, where he thought it was leading into a relationship.

I agree that sexual orientation has no bearing on whether I give a damn.... his lifechoice in both the gay and the suicide.

Upvote 0
if the situation wasn't circling the GAY part

ie - A roommate secretly films his roommate having sex with a fat cow of a woman and plays it online, and the roommate, embarrassed over it goes and commits suicide over it, this would not be news and we'd never have heard about it.

The moral of the story is suicide is only newsworthy if you are famous, or gay. If you're straight, T.S.

Upvote 0
Crap! What about the person who drives another to suicide? What about the person who feels that others around them would be better off without them?

I'm glad your life is so good that you'd never consider ending it.

Suicide is not a selfish act for many, many people; most are in incredibly difficult circumstances.

if person is weak enough to let external influences "drive" them to suicide, that person is the weak one. that individual is only thinking about themselves...their escape. it is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Upvote 0
gay genes!

skinny-jeans-no.jpg

Upvote 0
exactly, environment dictates what people find sexually attractive. I am personally really into the 100#ers. Some are chubby chasers, some like big butts, and some like man on man.

I got into super skinny chicks because I was a super skinny guy and didn't like listening to girls who were 125# telling me I was so skinny. Date a skinnier chick than I was (115#) then I didn't have to listen to it.

gay guys, like mcat alluded to, often just fall back into the gay lifestyle as a way to protect themselves from a society that views gay as something to be protected. Noone stands up for the weird guy, but the gay guy, you better not pick on them. My sexual preference (super skinny girls) was a self defense mechanism, but now, even though I'm 170# and don't get picked on for being skinny, I still love me some "A" cupped, 20" waisted bishes. Make her redheaded (like me) and forget about it.... But not everyone likes that

People are just too afraid to explore more deeply why people are really attracted to different people or question political correctness.

Upvote 0
I've been quite for most of this but I, for one, am not homophobic. I've had friends that were gay. I've hung out with them and others several times. I doesn't bother me one bit. I just choose to read this as 5 teens commit suicide insteaed of 5 gay teens. I choose to look past race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. It is a sad thing that this happens and that people come to this point, but I wouldn't feel any different if they were polka dotted aliens from Jupiter. A life is a life.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
If it isn't a choice then the various fetishes that people have aren't either. But we don't consider that "normal" now do we?

Yay... another one. I didn't know that I wanted to choose to be abused, harassed, and assaulted back when I was in 6th grade and ever since then. I prayed to God as to why I liked men back then but I guess it's his funny way of torturing random people. I did not WANT to be homosexual at all because in 6th grade... well... you wanted to fit in and be accepted by society.

I didn't wake up one day and say that I wanted to be homosexual for today, the whole week, the whole month, for the rest of my life. It's exactly the same as straight people waking up and deciding that they wanted to be straight. You just found yourself more attracted to one side than the other and developed that way.

If it is a choice... then why can't I just turn straight? Or a straight man, like yourself, turn gay for a week because all of you have to do is make a simple choice. I wonder why it's impossible for straight people to prove that it's a choice by becoming gay themselves. If it's that simple...

Do you seriously think that fetishes are choices? Someone chooses to LIKE something? Do you ever choose to like something instead of just feeling that you like it? It's like having a piece of pizza and deciding if you like it or not. You don't choose... your body chooses for you. It's the same concept of breathing. It's impossible to actually "suck in" air. All you do is open your diaphragm and the air flows in to fill in the empty space... but how many people think of it that way?

exactly, environment dictates what people find sexually attractive. I am personally really into the 100#ers. Some are chubby chasers, some like big butts, and some like man on man.

gay guys, like mcat alluded to, often just fall back into the gay lifestyle as a way to protect themselves from a society that views gay as something to be protected. Noone stands up for the weird guy, but the gay guy, you better not pick on them. My sexual preference (super skinny girls) was a self defense mechanism, but now, even though I'm 170# and don't get picked on for being skinny, I still love me some "A" cupped, 20" waisted bishes. Make her redheaded (like me) and forget about it.... But not everyone likes that

People are just too afraid to explore more deeply why people are really attracted to different people or question political correctness.

You do realize that most people who really discover that they're gay is in middle school... right? Do you remember what it was like in middle school? Everyone wanted to fit in with society, not be considered the "weird" one, and so forth? You're thinking of it as from an adult's perspective. Just try to remember what it was like back in your early teenage years and then see how they would view it.

I have thought about sexual attraction a lot more than the average person.

Christ all the gay-bashing is really being exposed :(

Crude, I genuinely thought you were better than that
Seems not..

Fortunately, I'm used to gay bashing. I've had to deal with it for quite a long time now. This is nothing different. At least they haven't physically assaulted me. Those were never fun.

Unfortunately, so many young teens are truly experiencing it for the first time or have only been victims of bullying for a short while so they haven't thicker skin.

Upvote 0
I think one of the most important underlying issues in a lot of these more recent (in the last couple of years) teen suicides is the role played by technology. Bullying has become a lot more advanced and now kids can't escape being bullied even when they are not in school. Bullying happens to all sorts of kids and in some cases has started at a much earlier age.

I teach part-time at a very ethnically diverse undergraduate school and they send out constant emails offering counseling, chances to speak to the dean of students, and touting all the different student groups on campus. But technology has grown up with these students and even though I tell them not to, quite a few can't help but use their cell phones in class WHILE I am looking right at them.

The media has picked up the story and will add their own spin to it but my personal opinion (not to start an argument) is that as a society we should never be complacent when kids in middle school, high school, and college are taking their own lives. Assemblies on these issues and offering counseling and peer groups is a start but can only do so much.

Upvote 0
I think its important to remember that many suicides go unrecorded

And this 99 for 3 weeks figure, it seems far-fetched for 280,000,000 people, In Ireland (4m ppl) there are about 500 suicides a year....

Teen Suicide Statistics - Teen Suicide

3,791 Suicides per year from ages 15 to 24.

Divide that by 52, and there are 72.9 suicides per week. If you estimate half that number (including 13 and 14 year olds... that's reasonable).

36.5 suicides per week.

3 weeks = 109.5 suicides.

I originally calculated another far more complicated manner using us census statistics, but this is far easier to explain.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
The notion of isolating one demographic, when we analyse any statistics highlighting deaths, whether it be suicide, traffic, housing fires, diseases or murders, is so useful as to be essential if we're to approach science and sociologists for solutions.

Which would be useful, if the trend was different in the isolated demographic.

It's like taking the statistics from a school where all races get sent to the principle's office at the same rate, but focusing on blacks, because they are obviously being sent to the principles office because they are a minority.

Are we to admonish blacks for asking questions and holding high their commitment to their community? Are we going to label them self righteous for making public their concerns, as some are labeling gays now for daring to isolate their demographic on the subject of suicides?

If they were to come to society and say, I think you should all focus on why blacks commit suicide and help us resolve this problem (Black teens consider suicide about 4/5 as much as white teens).

This would be unacceptable.

Some are trying too hard to look away from this, for some reason. They're flying under the banner of, "gays are too small a minority to be concerned with, look at all the straights committing suicide.

Gays are too small a minority?

Gay teens are acting in the same manner, at the same rate, as ALL teens.

They aren't acting ANY different.

They aren't a minority of suicides. They are simply part of the big picture.

They aren't committing suicide any more than the all teens commit suicide.

If the rate of suicide were increased significantly among gay teens, then that would be one thing, but the fact that the rate hasn't increased indicates that the teens are doing the same thing for the same reason.

I understand their lives and pressures are different, but that doesn't mean that the underlying cause of suicide is different, especially if it is a predisposition to a specific mental illness.

Please think about that beyond numbers. It's about different reasons for the suicides and those reasons being unique to the gay community. Is "straight bashing" popular in your city? I doubt very much that it is.

You already assume you know WHY gay teens commit suicide. So you feel comfortable focusing on the subgroup.

However, without a statistically significant difference in behavior between the subgroup and the group as a whole, there is no reason to single them out for study aside from the group as a whole. Aside from wanting to do something for a minority.

Upvote 0
Yay... another one. I didn't know that I wanted to choose to be abused, harassed, and assaulted back when I was in 6th grade and ever since then. I prayed to God as to why I liked men back then but I guess it's his funny way of torturing random people. I did not WANT to be homosexual at all because in 6th grade... well... you wanted to fit in and be accepted by society.

I didn't wake up one day and say that I wanted to be homosexual for today, the whole week, the whole month, for the rest of my life. It's exactly the same as straight people waking up and deciding that they wanted to be straight. You just found yourself more attracted to one side than the other and developed that way.

If it is a choice... then why can't I just turn straight? Or a straight man, like yourself, turn gay for a week because all of you have to do is make a simple choice. I wonder why it's impossible for straight people to prove that it's a choice by becoming gay themselves. If it's that simple...

Do you seriously think that fetishes are choices? Someone chooses to LIKE something? Do you ever choose to like something instead of just feeling that you like it? It's like having a piece of pizza and deciding if you like it or not. You don't choose... your body chooses for you. It's the same concept of breathing. It's impossible to actually "suck in" air. All you do is open your diaphragm and the air flows in to fill in the empty space... but how many people think of it that way?

You do realize that most people who really discover that they're gay is in middle school... right? Do you remember what it was like in middle school? Everyone wanted to fit in with society, not be considered the "weird" one, and so forth? You're thinking of it as from an adult's perspective. Just try to remember what it was like back in your early teenage years and then see how they would view it.

Fortunately, I'm used to gay bashing. I've had to deal with it for quite a long time now. This is nothing different. At least they haven't physically assaulted me. Those were never fun.

Unfortunately, so many young teens are truly experiencing it for the first time or have only been victims of bullying for a short while so they haven't thicker skin.

I don't believe that being gay is a choice. Even the bible says that it is not a choice. I can even show you the scripture that says that GOD makes people gay (warning: you aren't gonna like what else it says about being gay.)

Christians who say that being gay is a choice... haven't read their Bible.

Upvote 0

Just because the teens themselves don't realize why they think the way they do, doesn't mean that my analysis is wrong. I never knew why I liked skinny girls until my adult years.... It wasn't a CHOICE persay, I just naturally (due to my environment) went that way. It made sense I chased after girls skinnier than me. It was just natural. Now, I can argue, that because I was genetically predisposed to be a skinny kid (I was 5'10 and 115#) that being a skinny-sexual wasn't a choice, it was genetics.

The same analogy can be applied to gays. You can't deny that being a gay kid brings more attention to being bullied, and more outspoken people coming to protect them. A skinny wierd kid has no champion. It's just a safe (well, safER) retreat for kids. A natural self-defense mechanism to protect themselves from the world. I hated explaining to girls that I can't just eat more and get big, skinny girls never said that to me, so I gravitated towards them. And I never realized why I did it until MUCH later.

A weird kid gets tired of explaining that wearing blush and skinny jeans is just what he likes. He's picked on and made fun of.... but if he's GAY.... well, now if he's picked on, it's national news and it's a hate crime.

This is not a gay suicide issue, this is a bully issue. Because I bet this kid would have recorded him bagging a fat cow of a chick just as quick, in order to embarrass him

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones