• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 5 hour battery!!

First, get a newer ESE53(?) based ROM. Liked BB 0.9, Smoked Glass 6.0, etc.

Second, try AdamZ's low voltage kernels, or another kernel like Chevy's that's stated to be low voltage.

Third, what speed are you running at? Try running under 1100 and see what happens.

Fourth - what are your use patterns for the worst offenders? GPS, BT, screen, etc. I assume you already took care of those items.

For whatever reason (I am not intelligent enough to say why although I have my suspicions) not every phone gets along well with every kernel.

Upvote 0
For whatever reason (I am not intelligent enough to say why although I have my suspicions) not every phone gets along well with every kernel.

I would agree on all fronts, especially on the kernel part.

Definitely update your ROM/play around with some kernels. I'm getting excellent battery life on 0.9 BB.

You might already know this, but you can check a battery use indicator under settings->about phone, it might provide some insight into what's eating your power, it could even be an app.

Upvote 0
I would agree on all fronts, especially on the kernel part.

Definitely update your ROM/play around with some kernels. I'm getting excellent battery life on 0.9 BB.

You might already know this, but you can check a battery use indicator under settings->about phone, it might provide some insight into what's eating your power, it could even be an app.
+1 again. running at 800mhz low voltage on BB ese53 version .9 and battery life is excellent. get about 16 hours medium use, 7-10 with heavy browsing, 24+ light use

Upvote 0
I'll try to remember the various tips I've read on this subject but its been a long time ( back in Nov-Dec ) so it would probably be wise if you did a forum search to address any possible things that I've missed or have remembered incorrectly.... I won't repeat the other good suggestions you have already been given

Fully cycle a new battery about 5-6 times when you first get it. This means that you charge it all the way up... and discharge it all the way down until the phone shuts off. This will allow it to get rid of the chemicals ( if any ) that they use in new batteries to help with storing the battery until the consumer starts to use it AND it also lets your phone learn what the battery life is when full and empty.

Wifi, bluetooth, GPS, sync and brightness settings as well as the number of calls you make/take will all affect battery life. The more these are used, the shorter the battery life ( naturally ). Disabling the items you aren't using and limiting the number of times that your phone syncs can help in these area's.

There is a utilty called Spare Parts available in the Market, download and install it. With it you can go into the Battery History and select Partial Wake Usage to help find out if some of your apps are using more battery than you care for... adjust the settings for the programs that are listed as higher usage ( such as weather utils etc ) so they don't sync as often... or disable them completely if you don't need constant updates.

Upvote 0
Fully cycle a new battery about 5-6 times when you first get it. This means that you charge it all the way up... and discharge it all the way down until the phone shuts off. This will allow it to get rid of the chemicals ( if any ) that they use in new batteries to help with storing the battery until the consumer starts to use it AND it also lets your phone learn what the battery life is when full and empty.
this is a BAD idea. Li-ion batteries do not need this and it's acually bad for them if you fully discharge them often.

Upvote 0
this is a BAD idea. Li-ion batteries do not need this and it's acually bad for them if you fully discharge them often.

You only have part of this info correct...

It is true that LiPo batteries should not be fully discharged.... to be specific the spec's state to not discharge below 3.0v ( I prefer to be a little safer and set my charger/discharger for my RC batteries at 3.1v per cell ) ... The Droid won't let a battery discharge below this amount already and shuts down automatically when it is reaching that point. LiPo's should also not be charged to more than 4.2v .... again the Droid is setup to not overcharge the battery either.

I know that on every phone I've owned ( that used LiPo's and there are many reports by other users that confirm it ) that their batteries only start working fully after cycling them 5-6 times and as I mentioned, this is used to neutralize the chemical they use in the batteries for shelf storage purposes before the batteries are sold to the end user.

Upvote 0
I thought I should clarify a point... when I suggested that the OP cycle the battery, I didn't mean to indicate it should be done more than just when the battery was new... LiPo batteries are not like Nicd's that do need cycled regularly in order to avoid memory effects that they are prone to.

Some info about RC LiPo battery charging can be found in this thread on the RCGroups forum Complete Guide to Lithium Polymer Batteries and LiPo Failure Reports - RC Groups .... Please note that many RC batteries use multiple batteries in the pack unlike the Droid's battery which only one cell, so some of the info won't apply such as balance charging etc.

Upvote 0
I have found that when closing my browser when on Google's homepage it will sometimes leave the GPS searching for location infinitely until I open the browser again and wait for it to find the location. Its very odd, since it should do this in the background just fine. But its a solution nonetheless. Also, sometimes the weather apps out there might hang on GPS on occasion, which will kill battery life. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones